Order of massage for Swedish/hot stone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazelb

Reaction score
HI there,

I just wondered what you all did. The hot stone course I just did had a totally different order of massage from the Swedish / aromatherapy massage I have done in the past.

I have always done:
back, legs& glutes then turn over,
head/neck, arms, abdo, legs and feet.

Hot stone was fronts of legs/arms. abdo/face. Then backs of legs and back.

What order do you generally use for the different massages you offer?

Hey!
I think everywhere teaches it slightly different.
At college we are being taught back, glutes, back of legs, turn over, feet, front of legs, stomach, arms, face neck and shoulders.

I think I'm going to mix things up a little though.
I like the idea of starting on the front and finishing on the back.

X

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

I was taught to start on the back but in the salon I work in I start on the front and it much nicer as you finish on the back massage and feels a nicer way to end also.
Xox

For Aromatherapy I do Scalp, face, neck and shoulders, fronts of legs, feet, back of legs, gluts, and back.

For Full Body, Hot stone I do Neck and Shoulders, Abdomen, fronts of legs, back of legs and gluts and back.

I also do a whole different routine for Pregnancy Massage. I think everywhere teaches slightly different but it doesn't matter aslong as you meet the needs of your client and you are happy and confident with your routine.

I was taught one routine when doing my VTCT in aromatherapy, and then when I did my advanced aromatherapy whilst doing my foundation degree I was taught a different routine.

However I like to finish with the back as I find this is the point where most clients fall asleep, and I don't need to disturb them by asking them to roll over. But like I say everyones different and Im sure your clients don't mind where you start and finish as they are probably too relaxed to care :)

I have been taught to do:

Cleanse face
Cleanse feet
Scalp
Face & shoulders
Arms
Abdomen
Front of legs
Turn client over
Back of legs
Back.

Ooops I forgot about cleansing and arms!

I don't miss the arms out lol, I just forgot to write it down x

There's a very good reason that you should always start the massage on the back first. However, with hot stone massage, have you learnt the stone placement for along the spine while the client is supine as this may be why they start on the front if you have already put stones under the client's back.

There's a very good reason that you should always start the massage on the back first. However, with hot stone massage, have you learnt the stone placement for along the spine while the client is supine as this may be why they start on the front if you have already put stones under the client's back.

I always learnt to start on the back but why is the reason for this..?

I always learnt to start on the back but why is the reason for this..?

This obviously applies to full body, relaxation/Swedish/holistic massage, rather than remedial/sports massage.
The nerves run along the spinal canal and spread out to different parts of the body. By starting your massage prone and working on the back (right up to the occipital area) you are stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system and sympathetic nervous system. It is the most effective way to relax the CNS and achieve relaxation. By starting with this you will find the effect is more profound and the process is continued throughout the massage. Why would you leave it to the end?

I've been taught in college to leave back till last. x

good to see such a range of replies. In Hot stone, I was taught to do a spinal layout first, with client supine, so that is why client ends up on face, doing the back last.

Massage wise..I've had both done on me and it is nice to finish lying on your front. I didn't now about relaxing the CNS with a back massage first, so maybe I'll keep it the way I always have.

This obviously applies to full body, relaxation/Swedish/holistic massage, rather than remedial/sports massage.
The nerves run along the spinal canal and spread out to different parts of the body. By starting your massage prone and working on the back (right up to the occipital area) you are stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system and sympathetic nervous system. It is the most effective way to relax the CNS and achieve relaxation. By starting with this you will find the effect is more profound and the process is continued throughout the massage. Why would you leave it to the end?

Thanks for reply! I have always found that having back done first helps relax whole body ready to be massaged and now i know why!

Thanks for reply! I have always found that having back done first helps relax whole body ready to be massaged and now i know why!

You're welcome. Unfortunately, not teaching to start on the back shows a lack of understanding of the physiological effects of the massage by those who set/teach the course and then gets passed down to students, some of whom will end up teaching too.

In Hot stone, I was taught to do a spinal layout first, with client supine, so that is why client ends up on face, doing the back last.

If you use a spinal layout first, then you would start on the front as the placed hot stones under the client will be having a similar effect to if you start massage on the back. Obviously, if you don't use the spinal layout, then you would be better starting on the back.

That's very interesting to read you should really start massage on the back. I've just finished college and they left the back to the end of the massage! I'll maybe rethink my routine.

I was always taught in Swedish massage to start on fronts of legs, feet, abdomen, arms & hands, backs of legs, and back last. I must admit I never really "gelled" with the routine and never fully relaxed when I was on the receiving end of it.

My aromatherapy routine starts on the back, then backs of legs, feet, fronts of legs, abdomen, arms and hands, shoulders, neck, face and scalp.

But I totally understand why it's so much better to start on the back, so I adapted my routines years ago, so I use the aroma routine for everything now (not done stones in years as I'm mobile, I wouldn't know how to begin now!)

I was taught to start on the back for Swedish and aromatherapy massages, Hot stone I was taught to put placement stones on back and start on legs then move to back.x

Latest posts

Back