Orly Gel Fx not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belle08

Reaction score
Please help, I bought my Orly Gel fx kit last month, but they chip after 1 week. The wholesalers where I bought the kit from do not offer training courses! I have watched the DVD and applied following each step but they just don't last! What am I doing wrong?? Thanks

Hi Hun

Chipping can be For a number of reasons

1. Incorrect prep. The nail needs to be completely free of cuticle. Do a very thorough but gentle dry prep. CND curette is a fab tool for getting down the sidewalls cleanly but without damage. I love scrub fresh and use this for all my preps no matter what system I'm using. But you need to SCRUB with only a very little amount in order to clean and dehydrate the nail plate.

2. Application. MUST BE THIN especially at the free edge. You need to cap the free edge and down the sides if the nails are long but literally as you bring the brush down the sidewall then swipe across the free edge. Don't dip your brush for the free edge otherwise you will cause a bump which will chip. Look at the nail from the side at the free edge at the end of the service and see if there is a little bump.

3. Unsuitable nails/client care. It's not always your fault and yes sometimes we can blame the client. Not rudely of course lol. Perhaps they have weak bendy nails or they don't wear gloves while cleaning or washing up. It happens.

Lookmthrough this site there are loads of tips. Most gel polishes are applied in the same way and prep is universal except some use priming products and some don't. Check that the lamp you are using is adequate as well.

Orly gelfx uses an led lamp. What do you have. Xxxxx

Thank's so much for your help, yes the client's nails are bendy she has just taken fibreglass nails off! I have recommended that she stays with Orly, it will take time but they will become stronger and thicker and the orly gel fx will last longer! I will look at scrub fresh too.
I have found that some colours needs four or more coats as I am doing them very thin as recommended!
I have a UV lamp, it cures well, but I am planning to buy the orly LED lamp, just costs a fair bit!

Thank's so much for your help, yes the client's nails are bendy she has just taken fibreglass nails off! I have recommended that she stays with Orly, it will take time but they will become stronger and thicker and the orly gel fx will last longer! I will look at scrub fresh too.
I have found that some colours needs four or more coats as I am doing them very thin as recommended!
I have a UV lamp, it cures well, but I am planning to buy the orly LED lamp, just costs a fair bit!

Yes led lamps are expensive. Another tip is file the free edge very short if she will let you. That way you keep bending to a minimum.

Check out her lifestyle as well some people just can't have long nails they need them short. These days I love short neat well manicured nails, they look fabulously fashionable.

I use OPI and sometimes that needs 3 coats but it makes no difference my ladies don't chip with the extra coat as long as you keep it thin. Also really shake the bottle well this allows the gel to mix together properly and makes it a little thicker IMO and the coverage is better. Gel seems to sort of settle in the bottle and goes almost see through at the top. Give it a good shake.

Any questions feel free to ask Karen xxx

Latest posts

Back