Orly gel removal & nightmare appointment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyED

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just come back from a nightmare appointment! It was for a new client who already had Orly gel (I've never used this or removed it before and it was applied by someone else) on which needed removing. I filed all the top coat off and wrapped in acetone but it just wouldn't budge!

The client owns their own company so I was doing the appointment in their lunch break, in over an hour I'd only removed one hand of gel and she had to go back to work with the other hand still with some gel on.

I've booked her in again for 9am tomorrow morning to sort this out and apply Gelish which is what I use, but I just don't know why the Orly gel wouldn't come off?

It was a really important appointment too, as I'm trying to promote my seated chair massage within companies which this would have been perfect for and I think I've blown this chance now as the appointment went so wrong.

Luckily the client was understanding and said not to worry about it, but I feel rubbish I wasn't able to complete the service.

After this, I'm tempted not to offer the removal of other peoples gel

If it was Gel extensions it won't soak off, most extensions are made with hard gel to enable the extra length, you can't soak it off, it needs to be filed off.

If it was Gel Polish then yes it should have soaked off as usual once you'd removed the top coat.

It was just gel polish, not extensions, so I thought it would remove similar to Gelish.

The product on the nails was much thicker than I was expecting but the client said she thought it was only base coat, 2 colour coats and top coat, and that when she usually has it removed they just file the shine off and wrap and it comes off, so I don't know if there was anything I could have done?

What's the betting that this wasn't really Orly??!!
Clients can be very elusive with the truth I find!
I had 3 similar experiences (all in the same week!!!:mad: ) when I started to offer Shellac gel polish.
What I learnt was that always ask if they have anything on their nails already when they book. If they then say"oh yes, its shellac" (lie, lie) I then ask them where they had them done. As I know what systems all my local salons use, I can then verify this. If they live further a field then I get on the internet afterwards and check out the salon!

I think the worst set I had to remove was "put on by my neighbours daughter who wanted to have a go"!!! :rolleyes:
I charge £10 now to remove other brands of gel - it's surprising how many then seem able to remove it themselves before their appointment with me!!

Back to your client after my little rant there..... why has she not gone back to her usual nail tech then if her set of Orly were so fab??

I think it was Orly, I've looked up the salon she usually goes too and they do advertise that's what they use, but even after the colour came off, there seemed to still be a clear base coat left on the nail, so maybe this wasn't helping, I'm really not familiar with the Orly products as I've never looked into them.

I was recommended to her by a friend and as I'm mobile, its easier for her not to travel which is why I went to her.

I also struggled to remove Orly from a client. Again, this isn't the brand I use nor do I willingly go out of my way to remove other therapists work. In the end, I filed the polish off all nails and it took a long time. As you said previously, Orly seems to be a thick polish.

They may have put a layer of gel under, Ive seen a lot of this happening

I had this happen to me with a client with regular polish! Took medication an hour to remove the "polish" and even after there was still the clear base coat left on.. she said she bought the polish from Italy and she applied it herself just like a polish with no light... was just weird

Latest posts

Back