OUCH - pics of nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry's Nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I know that I started a thread about my nail the other week and got some advice from some of you. I just wanted to show you some pics of it - and ask if any of you think this nail will grow out and eventually be normal again. Can I put an enhancement over it (short one)?????? Any more advice is gratefully appreciated.

Before removal of enhancement (after slamming nail in the till at work)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/kerryrob_photos/bathtime001.jpg

a week after removal of the enhancement and treated with solaroil as often as possible
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/kerryrob_photos/bathtime006.jpg

you "just" slammed it?

so it may fall eventually...

I'd go for a little something on if it hurts, but l&p as gel can hurt you even more if it heats.

keeping it clear, maybe a coat of laquer to hide but I'd remove it often (the lacquer) so see how it grows.

The nail separation looks like its almost half of the nail...to be honest I personally wouldn't overlay it yet...I would snip off as much of the free edge as possible to prevent catching it and making it worse...and just keep doing what your doing with the oil.

I think it will grow out normal again but it will take some time for the nail separation to mend.

Thats just my opinion...but then i always play safe...:lol:

^and I'm the opposite, as I know I couldn't live with a nail off... and most of my clients wouldn't...

but again, I never had such a nail, on me or any hand I work on...

love the colours on your nails is it cracked ice and where did you get it from?

I would hate to be without a nail too...:lol:......but i have seen a nail like this before and messing with it just made it worse.

In the end I filled all her nails down short so it wasn't as obvious and she had a colour gel applied with a matching enamel on the poorly nail....

lol, I just couldn't do that... I wear stilettos all the time, so do most of my clients (Russian) and you cannot go back to short like that, the tips my fingers never touch anything, it always has to be the nail... so feel my pain! lol.

love the colours on your nails is it cracked ice and where did you get it from?

The glitter comes from the IBD Black Tie range - it is pretty - changes from green to pink etc with movement & light. I mixed it with clear polymer.

I'm with Angela on this one. Keep it short and painted so they look nice and oil well.

I known it might seem unbearable to not have longer nails, but what would you rather have, short nails for a few weeks or long nails and cause more damage and maybe lose it and then have to wait months and months for a new one to grow back.

If you keep them long, your nail will seperate more from the nailbed. It's will be like a lever (iykwim). Keep it short and there is nothing to catch on and cause more trauma.

OK I took all your advice

Soaked off all my nails - and replaced with short NNO
Also on my yucky nail- I did NNO but extended it only about 1mm so it looks very similar to all the others. Thinking that very small extension shouldnt cause too much grief - but if it does I will soak it off again LOL
Now painted in a very light pink polish - I think I can bare this for a month of so.
Thanks for your advice - I do feel naked without the length tho LOL

OK I took all your advice

Soaked off all my nails - and replaced with short NNO
Also on my yucky nail- I did NNO but extended it only about 1mm so it looks very similar to all the others. Thinking that very small extension shouldnt cause too much grief - but if it does I will soak it off again LOL
Now painted in a very light pink polish - I think I can bare this for a month of so.
Thanks for your advice - I do feel naked without the length tho LOL

:lol:...my advise was not to overlay it...:lol: and definitely not to make it longer.

Hope you get on ok hun x

:lol:...my advise was not to overlay it...:lol: and definitely not to make it longer.

Hope you get on ok hun x

Its still lightly overlayed (I need the added strength over it I think - because I am so rough with my hands at work and my nails are very thin normally and break at every given chance - but I have filed it right back so its super short again

Your braver than me, I'm with Angie on this, I'd have filed it back as far as possible and let it grow. I have done that in fact when it happened to me. I did try an overlay, short, but catching it felt like it was pulling the nail up and off and was incredibly sore!

I'm a particular person re my own nails but I had to admit defeat on that one, thin it down and take it right back to where the actual free edge ended up. I'm convinced it's why it grew back so well too, if I had carried on I think it might have made it worse.

Good luck :hug:

Its still lightly overlayed (I need the added strength over it I think - because I am so rough with my hands at work and my nails are very thin normally and break at every given chance - but I have filed it right back so its super short again

The fact that you have overlayed it will make it rigid, when you really need flexibility in it.

When a nail is rigid, any slight knock effects the whole nail, i'd remove the overlay ... sick nails grow quicker than the others and in no time it will be OK.

i too would cut back short and have a 'neat and tidy' polish on it.

ANYTHING you put over it could and probably WOULD make it worse the lifting would probably 'zipper' all the way down.

Latest posts

Back