Outdoor Christmas light yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering who makes their house/garden viable from space at Christmas. Personally I haven't before but I'm really tempted (have to get stuff in sale and do it next year I think, as outdoor lights are so expensive). I love driving around and seeing really lit up houses and gardens. So do you do it? Do you have pics? Is there a house in your town that springs to mind? Or do you hate it and think its awful! Opinion and pictures please! Xxx

No I wouldn't - purely because I am lazy. The road next to mine actually put shows on ....I'll get a picture of that and put it up....it is amazing! there are so many lights (and music) they light up the moon! (is that cheating?)

I hate the houses absolutely full of the lights!! Like the OTT ones think it looks such a mess you can't even see the house amongst all the lights haha

But I do love to see the simple festive lights above the garage or decorated on the garden trees etc xx

I do lol, I say it's for my kids but ;)
I have an 8ft, light up inflatable Tigger on ski's, a 5ft light up inflatable snowman, snowman n Santa path lights, a Santa on light up ladder hanging from bedroom window, lights on hedges and that's before you get inside :)
HO HO HO

I hate the houses absolutely full of the lights!! Like the OTT ones think it looks such a mess you can't even see the house amongst all the lights haha

But I do love to see the simple festive lights above the garage or decorated on the garden trees etc xx

What makes it worse are the ones that leave them up all year...by August the reindeers are on their knees, father christmas has lost an arm and the wheel from the train has rolled into the road.

We have quite a big front garden which is walled with railings. My husband spent quite a lot of money on good quality lights a few years ago - they are white and he winds them around the railings. It's about 30 metres long and takes ages to do but the village loves it, especially the kids! People are always commenting on them. It makes me feel really Christmassy. The really colourful flashy displays that you sometimes see aren't my taste but I appreciate the effort that people have put into them.

So I'm a YAY!!! :)

I HATE it! Our electricity bill is high enough without Xmas lights all over the house! Lol x

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek mobile app

House near me has those horrid blue led ones that flash.
Number of times you turn into the road and think there's the emergency services in attendance!

Locally are some very affluent roads, and they have some AMAZING christmas decs in their gardens that are fantastic and not at all "chavvy" - more like Oxford Street! Found out last year that most of them have professionals in to do it (jealous lol).

I dont tend to because I'm not very creative and nothing looks worse than bad decorations/lighting. I usually manage to put up my santa and sleigh with reindeers over my bay window, but whenever I try to light the trees around my driveway, I give up as it looks so naff lol!

Locally are some very affluent roads, and they have some AMAZING christmas decs in their gardens that are fantastic and not at all "chavvy" - more like Oxford Street! Found out last year that most of them have professionals in to do it (jealous lol).

I dont tend to because I'm not very creative and nothing looks worse than bad decorations/lighting. I usually manage to put up my santa and sleigh with reindeers over my bay window, but whenever I try to light the trees around my driveway, I give up as it looks so naff lol!

Ha ha - I do wonder though by looking at some of the decorations out these days what a clown or a teacup or a beach ball has got to do with Christmas! We have the cards put through the door advertising Christmas light decorators and you can even hire them for a few weeks.

This is ace! Can't wait to see some pics peeps!! Thaught it was only me that appreciated it! X

my dad used to go crazy with Christmas lights... I must admit I love it though, he used to put them up whilst we was at school so we would come home and they would be on... I'm now 20 and last year going to visit I still got the same warm feeling in my tummy as I saw the house lit up...
I'm really gutted he isn't doing it this year as many of the lights have now broken after lasting years, and we're all grown up now,..

Watch the electricity bill, and never leave the lights on over night
As pretty as they are they are also a big fire hazard!

My nans house is lit up and you can see it ages away! I love it apart from driving past and my great aunt is standing outside in her pjs 😳 but my mom did it a few times but gave up when we all got older. Xx

Latest posts

Back