Over exposure to acrylic nails


Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Well-Known Member
Jul 18, 2010
Reaction score
hi hope the moderators dont mind i have uploaded pictures of the state my hands in"theyare in my album on profile " are in due to allergic reaction to nail enhancment products i was told to stop doing them and did not listen and continued to do nails on people as it was part of my job everytime i do nails i end up like this even when i wear gloves so if u have had a reaction to any of the products PLEASE do not use them best ways to help prevent this _What can we do to prevent overexposure and allergic reaction?
  1. Never touch the brush hairs with your fingers, or allow the brush to touch the clients skin.
  2. Never apply product too wet or allow the wet brush to touch the prepared nail plate.
  3. Use disposable towels when wiping your brush, and discard them after use and before filing.
  4. Leave a tiny margin all around the cuticle and sidewall lines free of product. This will prevent overexposure and allow for air-tight retention of product to the nail plate.
  5. Wear a long-sleeved smock to prevent dusts from settling on your skin.
  6. Wear a mask specifically designed for dusts when filing, and change it often.
  7. Install a local exhaust ventilation system to rid your salon of potentially harmful vapors.
  8. Use dispenser bottles that have small openings only large enough for the brush to enter.
  9. Monomer soaked pads should be placed in a sealed bag before being placed in the trashcan.
  10. Monomer soaked or dust laden towels should be removed from the table top and laundered separately from other salon laundry.
  11. Trashcan liners should be changed daily.
  12. Never pour more liquid into your dappen dish than is needed for the type of application you are performing.
  13. Wear protective glasses to prevent dusts or flying debris from entering and damaging your eyes.
  14. Never smoke, eat or drink at the nail table. Vapors and dust can settle on your food or in your drink, and the 'flick of a Bic' can cause a spark that can ignite flammable airborne vapors.
  15. Never let dust accumulate.
  16. Always keep MSDS on all products used in your salon.
  17. Read and follow the product manufacturers application instructions and the warning labels on your products.
  18. Store nail chemicals in a cool, dark place and away from sources of heat or flame. Store nail chemicals in a separate location from hair chemicals - the vapors of some of these products are not compatible with each other, and can often create a undesirable and potentially hazardous chemical reaction.
Not sure if I should be naming this web site but as I am curious about popits I looked at mypronails.com, now please tell me if I'm right/wrong but in one video the girl used her finger to swipe away the exess l&p from around the form,surely overexposure alarm bells should be ringing:eek:. Now I'm just returning to the industry & certanly don't class myself as a pro yet [didn't do nails for long enough the first time round] but I would like to think my health & safety issues are up to date.
Best not to use your fingers you're right. I just use my metal cuticle pusher or a wooden cuticle stick. x
Om my god this is what's hapening to me. Several times. What did you do to treat it? It's so sore and very itchy. An feels like pins and needles if you touch it. I originally had his but took a few sets ofnails to realise what it was! Now I wear gloves but yesterday i obviously touched something after I took them off! Think I'm going to have to stop doing them. Was it just acrylic you were allegic to or gel as well? Thanks x
Would this be classed as a chemical burn? I am sorry that you are having to think about giving up something you are passionate about hun can people who are allergic to acrylic L&P still use gel or fibreglass?

Latest posts