Part Time Job..Arghhh...Help....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XxBeckyxX

Reaction score
Heloooo :green:
Welll......I already have a part time job in a clothes shop working a couple of days a week......

But I am reeeallyyyy wanting some salon experience.
I just don't know how to get someone to give me a chance.......
I am training to become a beauty therapist and to get an NVQ in customer service.

I did some work experience in a salon for a couple of weeks....a year or two ago and loved it..!
I'v sent 10 or more cv's and covering letters to nearby salons in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago...no reply :cry:

I understand it's hard when I'm not qualified and would'nt be able to perform treatments but I'd work on reception or tidying and prepping treatment areas :lol:
I just want some more experience in a salon for a couple of days a week..!

What can I do?

Helpppp please..! :)
Thanks In Advance..!
Becky
xXx

Find all your local beauty wholesalers and ring around them first to ask if they have an information board where you could place an advert offering your services, (this will save your legs/petrol)

also find the phone numbers of the salons that you have sent CVs to and phone them 9.00 am on Tuesday morning when they are likely to be less busy,
ask to speak to the manager and chase up your offers hth :hug:

What I would do next is start to ring the salons you have sent your CVs to. Are you offering your services as work experience (with no pay) or as an employee? If as work experience did you make it clear enough on the covering letter?

Good luck.

I didn't say wether I would like to be payed or not
(In the hope theyd ring me and I may get payed :green:)
Buttttt...I think I'v got a better chance if I say I'm just doing it for the experience & atm I wouldn't want to be paid.

I don't know how to word this in my covering letter..!
It sounds really stupid when I try...
My covering letter sounds quite professional and then I don't know how to put that I dont care if I'm not getting payed.....:confused:
Hmm..Help needed pleaaasee..!
Becky
xX

What I would do is put on my best outfit..polish my shoes (and teeth) and personally walk into each and every salon in my area with my CV under my arm......introduce myself to the salon owner..if he/she wasn't in I would ask for his/her name and when they would be in and make a point of coming back.

Upfront in the face approach ,which requires more effort than simply popping CV's into the post could bring the desired result- to be given a chance by a salon owner.

PS...dont offer to work indefinitely for free as this ain't good...offer to give them a two week service free..if they/you like each other then ask that you could both sit down and discuss a future together.

Go for it and good luck :hug:

What I would do is put on my best outfit..polish my shoes (and teeth) and personally walk into each and every salon in my area with my CV under my arm......introduce myself to the salon owner..if he/she wasn't in I would ask for his/her name and when they would be in and make a point of coming back.

Upfront in the face approach ,which requires more effort than simply popping CV's into the post could bring the desired result- to be given a chance by a salon owner.

PS...dont offer to work indefinitely for free as this ain't good...offer to give them a two week service free..if they/you like each other then ask that you could both sit down and discuss a future together.

Go for it and good luck :hug:

Exactly what I was going to say!!
I moved to Spain 4 months ago, and I just went in EVERY Salon we drove past ( I only just passed my NVQ2 Beauty Therapy in June!!) after 2 weeks, I was renting a room, then a couple of weeks later got offered another salary job. So I took that. You just have to get out there and be keen and professional! good luck!

Exactly what I was going to say!!
I moved to Spain 4 months ago, and I just went in EVERY Salon we drove past ( I only just passed my NVQ2 Beauty Therapy in June!!) after 2 weeks, I was renting a room, then a couple of weeks later got offered another salary job. So I took that. You just have to get out there and be keen and professional! good luck!

not wishing to go off topic but well done you :hug:
blimey it seems only yesterday when you were talking of going over..glad its all worked out well for you :hug:

Thank you everyone
I set off erliar to go around salons...but it started hailstoning
So I didn't go any further
I wasn't walking around in THAT weather and turning up looking a right mess..!
BOOOOO!!!! :mad::cry:

I'm going tomorrow now :)

Glad everythings going well for you abroad..! :cool:

Becky
xXx

Thank you everyone

I set off erliar to go around salons...but it started hailstoning
So I didn't go any further
I wasn't walking around in THAT weather and turning up looking a right mess..!
BOOOOO!!!! :mad::cry:

I'm going tomorrow now :)

Glad everythings going well for you abroad..! :cool:

Becky

xXx

Good for you Becky..go get em tiger grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :hug:

Latest posts

Back