Part-time staff dilemma!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paigey G

Reaction score
Hi all got a staff problem,
had a part time worker for 12 years doing the same 16 hours per week and catagorically no Saturdays the busiest day!! Have bent over backwards over the years when she couldn't work because of 'the kids' but saying that has been a loyal and hard worker.
Fast forward to present day she is 50 has oldish clients and 'kids' are 18 and 21, i'm 40 with an 11 year old daughter and now need saturdays off with my family but of course she's not prepared to step in and made me feel quite small when i asked for her to work a sat in August as i have friends visiting.

Perhaps she just thinks its your business and doesnt want to work Saturdays ?? Bit of a bummer for you. She shouldnt be making you feel small though for asking her to work one saturday. Tell her you will have to cut her hours and get someone in who can work saturdays as now you have kids - she might soon change her mind xx

Why not ask her to work alternate saturday's,then you have every other sat off with your family,and you have not pushed her into every saturday?.If not,get a saturday girl ?

I would have thought it would depend on her contract, if she has one, whether Saturday work was involved.

From her point of view though, if she's worked all that time without doing Saturday's I probably wouldn't be too chuffed at having to now start working them. Is it worth getting arsy with her about the Saturdays?

I understand about you not wanting to work Saturdays yourself (don't like it myself anymore). Could you not employ, then train up to your standards, somebody who is willing to work that day?

Already got another full timer and a trainee so it,s only when either of us need a sat off maybe once a month, just feel like screaming as it sometimes feels like the business is running me and not the other way round, maybe i'm just fed up and need a break!!!!!!!!!!!! thanx for the feedback all lolxx

can you afford to not book appointments in one sat per month and divert works phone to your mobile. Not massively professional and cost effective I know, but if its the whole live to work or work to live ratio, spesh with kids, you can never get that time back with them can you ? xx

if it were me, and i have to admit to doing this before, i would just close for the day!
its her perogative not to work, its your business and if your long standing, your not gonna lose clients for one saturday off in 20 years!!!
xx

I m going threw a similar dilema over the years i've kept a small loyal team but equally have bent over backwards to fit hours around there needs and family husbands new jobs etc. it gets a real pain.What do we do take at least a year of more of our time training up a more flexi replacement ? another year of not seeing our family ?.Even if there contacts do say no saturdays i'm prity sure there are clauses that also mention business needs and demand? .So i'm thinking hold a meeting tell her what hours are needed for the good of the business,if she says no advertise for new staff.If the business starts to suffer then none of you will have a job.

i think she is bein really mean, jeez one saturday, even one a month!! after you sound like you have been a great boss.
maybe have another chat with her and explain you are a team and as you have been more than fitting for her maybe once in a while could she help you out!!
xx

I would get round this one by saying that you will have to reduce her hours by at least half, as you have to employ another stylist to provide more flexible cover, as she cannot be flexible. Her pay will be cut in accordance. All perfectly allowable under the rules. She cannot request any flexible working from you, as her children are older.
Just means that you gotta put up with her having the raving hump.

This thread is over a year old now peeps so I'm assuming the problem has been rectified.

Would be good to hear the outcome though :)

Latest posts

Back