Patch test for tinting and waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee_geeee

Reaction score
Just a quick question...
I know obviously you need to patch test for tinting BUT I vaguely remember working in a salon years ago that had disclaimers printed off to basically state something like "this is to declare that I have been advised that I needed a patch test for xyz treatment and should I have any reaction, the company hold no responsibility" or something along those lines!!:)
So, I'm just wondering what you all do if you've a new client in getting something else done and they say "oh will you tint my eyebrows while I'm here", do you refuse them and tell them they need a patch test and that they'll Need to come back or do Any of you salon owners use disclaimers like that? Would they be accepted from a legal point of view?

Many salons use that as they think it will get them out of a lawsuit, or at least hope that it will put off a client from suing them.

It would not stand up in court, and would even probably work against you. You have duty of care to provide a safe treatment to your clients and that means patch testing them for tint. By getting them to sign the disclaimer you are effectively saying i know i should be patch testing you but am willing to put your health at risk and do the treatment anyway

Always patch test, and lets face there are women who make a living suing beauty salons, and they will know that a disclaimer won't stand up in court, not worth the risk .

Thanks for your reply!
I do always patch test, I've only recently opened my own salon and more and more people are looking for tinting while they're with me and are none too impressed with having to come back another day after having a patch test! I think I will start asking my regulars if they'd like a patch test even if they're not booked for tinting, just so they have it done for again!

Thanks for your reply!
I do always patch test, I've only recently opened my own salon and more and more people are looking for tinting while they're with me and are none too impressed with having to come back another day after having a patch test! I think I will start asking my regulars if they'd like a patch test even if they're not booked for tinting, just so they have it done for again!

Its awful when clients get annoyed about having a patch test as its for there own good! I am mobile so it causes real issues but I still always do one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You could try patch testing every new client at their first appointment so they're covered x

I've just bought the new marvel brow tints, they don't have peroxide in so don't need a patch test. I saw it in scratch magazine, haven't had anyone booked in for it yet, will save me a load of time since I'm mobile, has anyone else used it? Xx

I've just bought the new marvel brow tints, they don't have peroxide in so don't need a patch test. I saw it in scratch magazine, haven't had anyone booked in for it yet, will save me a load of time since I'm mobile, has anyone else used it? Xx
Wow, really no peroxide? Does marvel say they don't require a patch test? Thatwould be great for mobile clients. Hi

Yes they say they don't require a patch test. I've tried it on myself but it's an unusual system - also there's only two colours, black or brown.

Yes that is the downside only two colours, but yes no patch test. That's why I decided to go with it being mobile. Here is a link to a youtube video, it just magically appears rather than deveops www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNFEFkZXgRs

Marvel are slightly ambiguous in relation to the skin testing of their product.
It is 'suggested' that a skin test is optional.....
It is not the peroxide that is an issue with traditional tints, but the PDD present in the product.
This new system contains a different 'staining' ingredient.

Wow that looks amazing! Although it seems it will take longer than a traditional tint? How are you finding is MrsBB?

Unfortunately Julia I am still building clients and haven't had anyone willing to be guinea pig yet lol. If my baby lets me I will do some before and afters and post this weekend x

Patch testing a new client just in case they ask for tinting at a later date might still not be enough to protect you. Insurance companies all have different rulings on this. We have recently changed insurance to Professional Beauty & they require a patch test to be done everytime 48 hrs prior to treatment regardless of whether the client has been having tinting for years or dye there hair (often an excuse used by clients to get out of having patch test!). I would say always check with your insurance company.

I'm with abt and I'm paraphrasing but it says for patch test to be carried out or whatever industry standard is. Since the product specifically says dont patch test unless someone has had problems before I guess this should be enough. Did wonder about insurance too cocomummy x

Here's my before and afters, with the black tint you only leave it on 2 mins, developer for 1 min. Dead easy.
1440942709384.jpg

Attachments

• 1440942742312.jpg
    1440942742312.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 60
Just bought this product today to give it try, and i'm impressed

There is no DPP or peroxide used so yes no patch test required unless you client has had a reaction to tint in the past

I'm still going to double check with my insurance company though

and only downside is there is only dark brown for brows, and its dark, blonde clients would look terrible with this tint :)

Latest posts

Back