Patch tests - mobile therapists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloester

Reaction score
Im a mobile therapist and I offer free patch tests to my clients but something that’s worrying me is what if they get a patch test only to then cancel their appointment?
I can’t really charge for a patch test but the travel is then coming out of my profit?

What do you all do re patch tests

The initial consultation and patch testing can take up quite a bit of time as you want to make sure you are thorough with the information you provide. Its bad enough for salons but if you add your travel time and cost to this, you will be losing money.
You could either say you do a patch test once they have booked (and paid) the appointment or alternatively you could maybe charge a nominal amount (even if it is just to cover your time and petrol) and offer the client to get the money back when they book in for the treatment.

Its maybe also worth letting clients know that having a patch test done by you and going elsewhere could still cause problems as the other therapist might be using different products?

The initial consultation and patch testing can take up quite a bit of time as you want to make sure you are thorough with the information you provide. Its bad enough for salons but if you add your travel time and cost to this, you will be losing money.
You could either say you do a patch test once they have booked (and paid) the appointment or alternatively you could maybe charge a nominal amount (even if it is just to cover your time and petrol) and offer the client to get the money back when they book in for the treatment.

Its maybe also worth letting clients know that having a patch test done by you and going elsewhere could still cause problems as the other therapist might be using different products?

thank you, i think i might charge a little as the travel cost is coming out of my overall profit meaning im making a very small margin after the actually appointment
thanks for the advice!

I don't charge for patch tests.

But if you're worried about them no re-booking then take a deposit for the patch test and then that cost comes off their treatment cost when they have the actual treatment.

Or adjust your prices accordingly to cover the cost ;)

I don't think people would be happy about having to pay an additional cost for a patch test xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I post out my patch tests if the client isnt close. I bought some teeny little 5ml plastic pots with lids, and I bag them in a small resealable bag with a cotton bud and instructions. I do this so it arrives a day or two before the treatment so I can check they've done it.

I post out my patch tests if the client isnt close. I bought some teeny little 5ml plastic pots with lids, and I bag them in a small resealable bag with a cotton bud and instructions. I do this so it arrives a day or two before the treatment so I can check they've done it.

this is an absolutely brilliant idea! i think i will do this!
saves me on double travel costs! where do you get your plastic pots ?x

I'm not covered by my insurance to do this :( also if it's something like tint I'm not sure it would still be active enough to work for a patch test after a few days would it? Even though it's been in a little pot.

XxxX

Wont the colour have oxidezed before they get it?

Ive started using colour start but i'm thinking of saying use the colourstart first time use the colour appointment as there skin test and give them a test at the time if they want to change the shade or say add a colour in on there next appointment , and then leaving them with the colour start if they want a change from what I tested with on there previous appointment if you get what I mean very confusing but for the people who don't change colour I think it would work

this is an absolutely brilliant idea! i think i will do this!
saves me on double travel costs! where do you get your plastic pots ?x

I got mine on ebay. I usually ask the client to keep hold of it for me and collect it at the appointment. I also get them to sign a consultation form saying a patch test was administered. :)

I'm not covered by my insurance to do this :( also if it's something like tint I'm not sure it would still be active enough to work for a patch test after a few days would it? Even though it's been in a little pot.

XxxX

I never even thought that it wouldn't be active enough. I only do brow and lash tints and use refectocil. I've not heard of colour start. It's been working for me so I'll continue to do it unless I get definate info that its not suitable to do this.

Ah that's good then :) by the way I wasn't doubting you hun, it was a general query as I know when you mix tint it has to be used within a certain time (I can't remember what the time is, but it's a matter of hours)
So just wondered if it would still be active enough to give a reaction or not. (I may be talking absolute jibberish haha) xxx

If a client is having another treatment, eg nails, facial etc, you could offer to do a patch test for tinting, if they have any likelihood of booking for this within the time frame that the test holds good for.

If a client is having another treatment, eg nails, facial etc, you could offer to do a patch test for tinting, if they have any likelihood of booking for this within the time frame that the test holds good for.

I also do that ;) xxx

I do this for spray tanning, works well and no additional travelling

Ah that's good then :) by the way I wasn't doubting you hun, it was a general query as I know when you mix tint it has to be used within a certain time (I can't remember what the time is, but it's a matter of hours)
So just wondered if it would still be active enough to give a reaction or not. (I may be talking absolute jibberish haha) xxx

You have a valid point. It just never occured to me. Lol

You have a valid point. It just never occured to me. Lol

Hopefully some expert will come along and enlighten us lol xxx

Whilst a very good idea and goes some way to resolving this issue however given that your client is undertaking there own patch test means that you are not in control of the test itself so there is the possibility of incorrect application or none at all...might just be worth checking this issue with your insurer

HTH

I'm sure it's only active for 20mins so pointless posting it out x

I'm sure it's only active for 20mins so pointless posting it out x

I would agree, once they hydrogen peroxide is exposed to the air, it only has a short life span of a few minutes.

With HD Brows you can get a little patch test kit that you give the client for them to do them selfs, it was the first time I had ever seen anything like it but it may be worth you seeing if your tinting company does anything similar :) x

Latest posts

Back