Pay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RitzyLox

Reaction score
Hi girls

I am freelance hairdresser & beauty therapist. I have been offered every other Saturday in the salon that I go to personally to help cover the owners maternity leave. I am going to b working on a self emp basis, invoicing the owner for my hrs.

She has asked that I think about how much I want as an hrly rate but I really have no idea as iv never worked in a salon b4. Can anyone help me here, perhaps let me knw what the employed rate is per hr for a hairdresser??

Thanks girls

Well I thought if you were self employed you don't get paid an hourly rate? More like a percentage basis? When I worked in a salon self employed I got 50% of cuts and 40% of colours. Everywhere is different though x

Hi girls

I am freelance hairdresser & beauty therapist. I have been offered every other Saturday in the salon that I go to personally to help cover the owners maternity leave. I am going to b working on a self emp basis, invoicing the owner for my hrs.

She has asked that I think about how much I want as an hrly rate but I really have no idea as iv never worked in a salon b4. Can anyone help me here, perhaps let me knw what the employed rate is per hr for a hairdresser??

Thanks girls

Hiya, think about how much you're earning now per hour. You don't want to be loosing money. It depends on the area. When I was in a salon I got minimum wage - employed.
Don't know how it would work being self employed as babychops says most get a percentage x

If your going there self employed then you wont be getting an hourly rate. Lucia x

Hi girls

Thanks girls

I tried thus method in my salon and was told I was not conforming to self employed rules. I thought that because she was invoicing me for work done she was self employed. The mistake I made was supplying her equipment. You can be self employed but the salon owner still needs to pay a minimum rate that is equal to or higher than minimum wage. You will have to supply your own hair dryer and scissors etc. but you may still be classed as employed.

Rent a chair or % is what's known as true self employment.
1- your own cash tin
2- your own appointment book
3- your own equipment
4- your own price list with your name on
5- your own business cards
7- your own record cards

Thanks girls. All replies really helpful. I'm basically not going to b working with my own clients all the time, so washing colours off, manning reception, cleaning & tidying etc. obv sometimes doing clients but that will come after a few wks being there.

I am employed already in a full time job & want to avoid the massive amount of tax u pay on a second job, hence doing it on a self emp basis & charging myself out by the hr... Difficult one as its not ur standard self emp salon set up :/

All replies definitely welcome as interested on ppls thoughts :)
Thanks x

Thanks girls. All replies really helpful. I'm basically not going to b working with my own clients all the time, so washing colours off, manning reception, cleaning & tidying etc. obv sometimes doing clients but that will come after a few wks being there.

I am employed already in a full time job & want to avoid the massive amount of tax u pay on a second job, hence doing it on a self emp basis & charging myself out by the hr... Difficult one as its not ur standard self emp salon set up :/

Thanks x

Ive never heard of this but i dont understand how you can be classed as self employed if your getting an hourly rate? Xx

Thanks x

Unless you earn over 40k its not a massive amount of tax, its 20%. Just like it will be when you do your tax assessment at the end of the tax year if you are self employed.😊 xx

Unless you earn over 40k its not a massive amount of tax, its 20%. Just like it will be when you do your tax assessment at the end of the tax year if you are self employed.😊 xx

Yes I agree. You will be paying more tax anyway as it would be combined income so you would have to pay 20 percent on your self employed job aswell as the tax they Take from your full time employment x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, I am in similar situation. I just started working in a saloon but as self employed basis though i have set rate of pay £8/hour plus 10% comission on all nail treatment...this is my second jobs as I have a PAYE office job and I am just taking on this part time beauty therapist job to gain experience in Beauty therapy and to test the water in a way and maybe do this full time when Im ready to quit my other job. I found out that I need to register within three months as freelance but doing the tax thing is a bit daunting as I haven't done it before....any advice what steps to do?

Read the sticky at the top of this thread then print a copy off for your employer.

Sounds like she's doing cash in hand so she gets out of paying any tax for you working there

Latest posts

Back