Payroll

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckylashes

Reaction score
Does anyone do there own payroll?

I used to x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am thinking of starting to do it myself rather than paying my accountant is it really hard? IThanks for reply xx

I actually found it all pretty easy. I downloaded a tool from hmrc and put all the info in.
I have to say it is easier with the accountant doing it, except they do 4 weekly and I pay weekly so the fourth salary has the adjustments in. Confusing but not really!

Vic X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Seriously, ask a book keeper for a quote.
Possibly cheaper than an accountant, depending on the company.

When I had an employee I just handed payroll over to a book keeper, I can't remember the cost but it was negligible - well worth it to not stress over doing it.

I do it all myself, and use Sage. It's brilliant, and at £6 per month, it does everything I want it to.

Sends HMRC the info they need, creates payslips that you can print off or email to staff. I think they do a months free trial too so you can have a look and see if it's decent.

Their customer service is always really good too! Hth :)

My accountant does it for me and charges £24 a month and he uses sage as mentioned above.

I am going to start using it as it is so easy to use.

It depends weather you want a little more money in your pocket or a little less stress Hun

Which version of sage do you geeks use?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I pay £55 a month for 3 employees? :/ x

I do it myself, I use Moneysoft so easy xx

I use HMRC's free RTI system. Stupidly easy - minutes to set up employer / employee profiles and to complete FPS (and EPS)submissions every month.
Employer helpline and technical help desk available.
The only thing it doesn't do is print payslips but that's something that's pretty easy to do yourself.

For info, my accountant charges £5 per person per month to do this

Sorry to come to this thread so late im just trawling through reading everything I can get my hands on, all the businesses I have dealt with before have had self employed staff or have done payroll through someone other than me, I will soon be responsible for every aspect of two hair salons (bar the styling) my accountant has just quoted me £95 per month plus vat for doing payrol there are only 4 stylists altogether! Think I'm being ripped off! Could I be really cheeky and ask what everyone else pays roughly for accountancy fees for payrol/vat/tax returns. I'm going to shop around for another accountant and want to make sure that I get it right. Thank you in advance.

I use sage one payroll, extremely easy takes me 2 minutes yo do and I can email payslips directly to employees, £5 per month!

Thanks I will have a look at sage, I have only got 4 ladies on the payroll so it should be easy enough, just looking to save a bit money.

I looked at my hourly profit and quickly realised it was ludicrous for me to do it when you can pay a book keeper £15-£20 per hr.

Sage is totally worth it. They give you all updates when the law changes and are on the phone with excellent support advice. Also, you don't have to pay the set up fees should you choose to take on additional staff at what ever hours.

I looked at my hourly profit and quickly realised it was ludicrous for me to do it when you can pay a book keeper £15-£20 per hr.

I agree although I think that depends how many hours the book keeper claims for!
I did this months submission today on the HMRC RTI system. The system itself is free and it takes less than 5 minutes per person. If the book keeper charges for much more than that, I'd be concerned!

Anyone who uses sage please can you help me with a few questions,.. Basically my payroll is £75 a month now and with increasing business costs I would like to rain in some costs... Just applied for the months free trial so ... What happens with all the previous Information my accountant has put in already this year for employees? And where do I start with this I have just downloaded it and am confused already :( makes me want to give up on it and just pay xx

I would bite the bullet and pay someone else. As its very time consuming and a decent book keeper will be up to speed regarding employment changes that can have consequences quite some time down the line. Also, when running a business spending a large portion of your time diverted onto accounts can ultimately be detrimental to you.
Perhaps, for the moment continue to pay a book keeper, ask around & enrol yourself on a new book keeping course, many of them incorporate sage as a standard system. That way when you are ready you will know confidently, exactly what you are doing. HMRC usually end discs out with updates and changes that you need to be aware of, which will keep you up to date.

Failing that. A few late nights and you tube will get you out of trouble !!

Latest posts

Back