pedi for 87yr old

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach.rua

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to give my grandmother a pedicure on sunday, it was her 87th birthday yesterday and her feet are giving her alot of trouble lately. I haven't seen her feet yet and i don't know if i'm being stupid but should I be extra careful with older peoples skin? I'm guessing it would be alot thinner and damaged than younger peoples..? I was thinking maybe i shouldn't use the scrub or use the pushie around the cuticles or the calluse smoother?...What do u think?

Also which would be better, warming or cooling? I have lovely furry vibrating booties for the warming Raw Earth pedi but i'm not sure if warming is ok but i think the cooling mask in the marine pedi might be too cold, it is very cooling!!

Am i worrying over nothing? I just have horrible images of taking her skin off or causing a blood clot or something terrible happening, i want her to enjoy it, she has hard such a very hard time lately.

Please help,

Thanks.

Not to sure about how you should treat the older skin, so I will watch for the answer.
However IMO I think warm is better then cold because it's good for stiff / sore joints.

HTH.

Hi ya

I look after my husbands Grandmothers (who is 94) feet. I do not rasp as the skin thins considerably the older you get but I do use a gentle exfoliator. A good massage helps with blood flow and circulation but obviously you have to be gentle. She loves having her feet done and for her age they are in very good condition.

Hope this helps

Hi

I took care of my father's feet when he was ill, he wasn't quite that old but he was in his 60's and because he was sick and very limited in movement his feet and legs were like that of a much older person with poor circulation.

You have to be very careful, hot water is not good because poor leg and foot circulation can sometimes limit sensitivity so the temperature might actually be hot enough to be detrimental and they won't really know and at the same time water or products that are too cooling can make cold feet feel much worse. So a lightly warm water always worked best for cleansing and a foot soak.
I haven't tried Raw Earth but the warming might be nice. I was always careful to avoid cooling lotions and any minty products on my dad because once the chill entered his feet and legs he couldn't seem to warm them up again later.

I never used a rasp or foot file on the dry skin, just a good cleansing, clean up the nails, push back cuticles very very gentley or just skip it, and a nice long massage on the foot and up the leg a bit with a good lotion.

I wouldn't use oil for a massage just because you want to be sure that everything is absorbed to avoid slipping or uncomfortable sensations, I noticed that sometimes even with dry skin does not soak up products like my own skin does. So go lighter on the lotion, and be very gentle (of course!) with the foot rub and then have some thick warm socks or slippers to put on her feet immediately following the foot rub to keep her feet warm.

HTH

S

Latest posts

Back