Pedicures: Foot Spa or Classic Bowl?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Considering I only qualified a few months ago and have own room only as of last week, today was my first day of doing a full pedicure in the salon.

A woman came in that usually has pedicures and was surprised that I didn't use a foot spa. We were trained to just use a clean and sanitised bowl.

Should I be investing in a foot spa? My only thoughts are that they generally have a lot of restrictions on the instructions.

Can you tell me who uses a normal bowl (if any as I'm now feeling like the only one!) and if people use a foot spa?

thanks everyone, I just want to know what I'm expected to be offering

x

Hi everyone

Considering I only qualified a few months ago and have own room only as of last week, today was my first day of doing a full pedicure in the salon.

A woman came in that usually has pedicures and was surprised that I didn't use a foot spa. We were trained to just use a clean and sanitised bowl.

Should I be investing in a foot spa? My only thoughts are that they generally have a lot of restrictions on the instructions.

Can you tell me who uses a normal bowl (if any as I'm now feeling like the only one!) and if people use a foot spa?

thanks everyone, I just want to know what I'm expected to be offering

x

What you could do is get one that has liners, they are really easy to sanitize:biggrin:.

Have a look at Footsiebath, they're supposed to be the best x

Hello Karen,

I have just completed my Beauty Therapy Level 2 at college and we were trained to use foot spas, they also used foot spas during my work experience placement.

Foot spas with a built in massage facility are great - my clients at college loved them!

As for restrictions, providing the foot spa is on a non-slip surface, cleaned correctly, not full to the brim and PAT tested every year it should be fine.

Hope that helps a little! xxx

Thanks for both of your replies. I did a "mini" survey with some of the other girls from the course on whether we should be using foot spas and we werent too sure whats to be expected, i shall be investing! There was no mention of buying foot spas in our training although thinking about it now my mobile beauty lady (my original inspiration!) uses one.

McKenna - I'm doing beauty level 2 in September and so excited! My passion was nails so i did manicure, pedicure and acrylics first but I want to expand and do as much as I can :)

x

Hey Karen! Yeah when I was at college we only got trained using bowls aswell instead of spas - I think this was because it was a cheaper way of teaching us than buying the spas for each student - but in the last few salons I worked in we have always used spas but really i felt they both done the same job! Lol
HTH x

Hey Karen! Yeah when I was at college we only got trained using bowls aswell instead of spas - I think this was because it was a cheaper way of teaching us than buying the spas for each student - but in the last few salons I worked in we have always used spas but really i felt they both done the same job! Lol
HTH x

Hey Webber :)

I think that they don't much to be honest either - just a little bit of vibration! I just felt a bit awkward because the other girl I share the business with "gave" me her client because she was so busy and she does use a foot spa (unfortunately she was using it on her client at the time!)

The lady still seemed pleased at the end :)

x

Footsie bath!!! Not expensive but soooo relaxing :)

I have a FootiseBath they are awesome and so Hygenic which is my #1 priority when doing a spa pedicure. They have liners which can be bought seperately and come in packs of 100.
I love the liners cause u just scrunch up and thro away when done and always use a new one for each client so Hygenic and that's what people need to be educated on...it's not just about having beautiful feet it's much more and i feel that each client feels safer with footsiebath. While they don't swoosh the water about like the big spa's they do vibrate and keep heat as they have a heater built in. I have learned that the client likes relaxation and that also comes in the form of a very comfy chair to go along with the footsiebath:) Good luck in finding one as i hear they are sold out in UK but they are excellent ! :)

I have a FootiseBath they are awesome and so Hygenic which is my #1 priority when doing a spa pedicure. They have liners which can be bought seperately and come in packs of 100.
I love the liners cause u just scrunch up and thro away when done and always use a new one for each client so Hygenic and that's what people need to be educated on...it's not just about having beautiful feet it's much more and i feel that each client feels safer with footsiebath. While they don't swoosh the water about like the big spa's they do vibrate and keep heat as they have a heater built in. I have learned that the client likes relaxation and that also comes in the form of a very comfy chair to go along with the footsiebath:) Good luck in finding one as i hear they are sold out in UK but they are excellent ! :)

Hi to you all the way over in Florida!

Thanks for your reply. I've looked the Footsie Bath and it looks AMAZING! This is definitely a professional version of the usual spa baths and far more superior!

I'd better get hunting! x

Ohh i like the look of those Footsie baths way better then my blow up pedicure bowl lol i may have to invest in one :)
x

where can i purchase one and does anyone have any pics prices ect im from midlands

Footsie bath!!! Not expensive but soooo relaxing :)

Sally's has a Footsie bath special this month and I think I am going to invest in it. I love the fact of disposable liners. :)

They used to sell them at beauty express but at the mo they only seem to have the liners on their site hhmmmm and i can't see any on the Capital website does anyone know if they sell them instore??
x

Ellisons sell them, but I think they only have the black ones in stock. X

Ive always used foot spas and good ones although not had a footsie spa... but ive found the heating element on everyone ive had goes and to be honest the vibrate doesnt do much.Ive decided i want a really love ly wooden thai type pedi bowl and im going to put hot stones in the bottom to keep the water warm for longer.
I dont actually have my clients feet in the bowls that long anyway its really just used for rinsing off the scrub i massage for relaxation.

Ive always used foot spas and good ones although not had a footsie spa... but ive found the heating element on everyone ive had goes and to be honest the vibrate doesnt do much.Ive decided i want a really love ly wooden thai type pedi bowl and im going to put hot stones in the bottom to keep the water warm for longer.
I dont actually have my clients feet in the bowls that long anyway its really just used for rinsing off the scrub i massage for relaxation.

That doesn't sound very hygeinic to me.

That doesn't sound very hygeinic to me.

Which bit doesn't sound very hygienic.

The wooden bowls (Or i might even get a resin one) are made for purpose from a salon suppliers,they are water proof and can be sanitised the same as any other pedicure bowl.

My stones i wash in a dishwasher (after i have washed them by hand in hot soapy water), on the hottest wash after use, They are the stones i use for hot stone massage.Im not going to dig them up out of the garden just before use.

If you mean i only use the bowl for rinsing and not soaking i use a pre pedicure spray on the feet and i also put a few drops of tea tree in my water as well as the foot soak.All my tools are washed and sanitised in barbicide.I use a new file for each pedicure and give them the file after.

Apart from wearing operating scrubs not sure what else i can do.
Everyones suddenly become obsessed with catching and spreading things lately.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Hi to you all the way over in Florida!

Thanks for your reply. I've looked the Footsie Bath and it looks AMAZING! This is definitely a professional version of the usual spa baths and far more superior!

I'd better get hunting! x

Yes FootsieBath are brilliant invention for spa pedicures focusing mainly on hygiene because of the liners...When you buy one they do come with 10 liners inside but im sure you will go through them quickly :)

I also use Fizz bombs in my footsieBath they explode and fizz releasing essential oils and do soften and deoderize the feet. check out swanky sweet pea they sell cupcake pedi soaks and other scrubs as does Me! Bath! they come in the form of Ice-cream balls so cool and very beneficial as well as luxury looking :)
I also love the strawberry pumice scrub bar that they have. I know they are luxury items but really do work and make the lux pedi so much more attractive to clients... the smells are amazing when using the products but i will also advise if you do buy any the pedicure cupcakes and ice-cream bombs buy the small ones cause the regualr ones are huge ! I have had customers ask if i sell them because they can be used at home for baths as well as pedi's ...google swanky sweet pea and Me!Bath! both amazing ! :)
Here in USA Sallys sell the FootsieBath for $99 on sale but in UK im not sure what they charge....look on the equipment section on sallys website thats where they are online.

Which bit doesn't sound very hygienic.

The wooden bowls (Or i might even get a resin one) are made for purpose from a salon suppliers,they are water proof and can be sanitised the same as any other pedicure bowl.

My stones i wash in a dishwasher (after i have washed them by hand in hot soapy water), on the hottest wash after use, They are the stones i use for hot stone massage.Im not going to dig them up out of the garden just before use.

If you mean i only use the bowl for rinsing and not soaking i use a pre pedicure spray on the feet and i also put a few drops of tea tree in my water as well as the foot soak.All my tools are washed and sanitised in barbicide.I use a new file for each pedicure and give them the file after.

Apart from wearing operating scrubs not sure what else i can do.
Everyones suddenly become obsessed with catching and spreading things lately.:biggrin:

I love the FootsieBath as you can tell by my posts but i have to say I love the Glass Pedicure Bowls too...they come in all colors and are made specifically for Pedicures...I have to find the website cause they are in Canada and just love what the company has to offer ...not just for pedicure but for manicures too...oh they are so pretty and glass is so easy to sanatize. ill post the link when i find it :)

Latest posts

Back