Perfect Shellac application?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

123stephy_b

Reaction score
Hi geeks I'm after some advice!

I'm fairly new to the nail industry and I find I can never get my application perfect around the cuticle area.

It's never as perfectly rounded as you see in professional pictures?

Is there any tips or ticks or does it come with practice?

I'd like to know as 'perfect practice makes perfect' so want to know if there's a special nack to it!

P.s my overuse of the word 'perfect' I am a protectionist and like things to look, yes, perfect xx

Thanks xxxx

All i do to get the 'Perfection', Around the cuticle area is to make sure i dont have the brush too loaded with Shellac. Also when i am about to paint the first stroke (middle length) i tip my brush almost verticle and as i brush i fan out, Stops the cuticle area of the shellac looking square where the edge has been brushed down further.
Really hard to explain, Also practice practice practice. Most of these 'tricks' are better self discovered

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/67791-polish-video-red.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/11972-precision-polishing.html

Perfecting those polish lines really does come with practice, to be honest it's something I still try and improve on myself constantly!

I also find that excellent preparation of the nail prior to painting is also really important. Getting all that cuticle off the nail and ensuring your surface is clean, tidy and no jaggy bits will make your job easier.

I always use the 'push pull technique' and try and work each nail in three strokes.

Practice using tips, volunteers using normal polish so you can keep removing and re-doing and also you always have you own hands!

There is a great class called The Polished Nail which may be of help to you. Also one to ones with your Educator can help you with any issues you are having.

I use the push pull method but sometimes i painting the cuticle area sideways helps me if that makes sense? Don't know how else to say it lol, but it helps me get that perfect curve.
Practice, practice, practice and you'll get there hun.:) Xx

Like everyone has said it is practice..... But after you have done a few reds over and over it getzs easier. The only thing is everyone has different size and shape so you need to practice on a lot of different people. I find if you take your time the result looks better. In time you will be Perfect!!

Thank you so much guys I do use the push pull technique but like you said its practice!

I will keep going thanks xxxxxx

Make sure you are balancing your painting hand too. That is probably obvious but if you hold it in mid air you haven't got the same control.

I bought a bag of cheap tips, drew lines on them and painted for hours. I am also still doing this to improve speed on french tips. I also push and pull and really thoroughly prep as any tiny bits of remaining cuticle can really affect the ability to paint smoothly. The curette and a cuticle niper (only used on lose bits and not ever living tissue) are a must. Some people just have odd shaped eponychiums. My mum was one and over time the skin loosened with solar oil use and regular manicures and I was able to create a better shape.

You will get there! :hug:

Latest posts

Back