Perm advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzle.digits

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a loose wave or very loose curl perm done at my local salon but I'm a little scared to be honest! Perms are considered old fashioned by everyone I've spoken to. Any advice on what to ask for and what I can expect aftercare to be like?

Ok, for starters, a perm changes the texture of your hair but it will still need products and styling to look pretty. You won't wake up in the morning with big soft loose curls. It will need styling.

Unfortunately, there aren't many young hairdressers confident with a range of modern perming techniques as its not automatically taught in college these days. I chose the advanced perming techniques unit for my level 3 instead of doing Hair Extensions which everyone else wanted to do.

When you call a salon, you could ask if they have anyone who can do a hopscotch or weave perm. If they say yes, then at least you have found someone who knows about different perming techniques rather than a basic brickwork wind and so hopefully, they'll be able to offer you good advice as to what will suit your hair type.

If they tell you that perming is old fashioned, the avoid them. They're obviously not very on trend. :)

Thanks for your Advice AcidPerm!

I love perms, they're only considered old fashioned because they're associated with old women in little old fashioned salons.

Guy Tang has just done a perm on his channel in the past month, even though it didn't look particularly nice, it goes to show it's not just for ald dollies!!
I've watched loads of perming vids lately and they're gorgeous. They put an emphasis on taking messy sections so the end result isn't an antwacky, perfect, set look.

Defo get a perm! [emoji106]

Ok, for starters, a perm changes the texture of your hair but it will still need products and styling to look pretty. You won't wake up in the morning with big soft loose curls. It will need styling.

Unfortunately, there aren't many young hairdressers confident with a range of modern perming techniques as its not automatically taught in college these days. I chose the advanced perming techniques unit for my level 3 instead of doing Hair Extensions which everyone else wanted to do.

When you call a salon, you could ask if they have anyone who can do a hopscotch or weave perm. If they say yes, then at least you have found someone who knows about different perming techniques rather than a basic brickwork wind and so hopefully, they'll be able to offer you good advice as to what will suit your hair type.

If they tell you that perming is old fashioned, the avoid them. They're obviously not very on trend. :)
Perming or relaxing I can't even can't count how many people just want to wake up and it all be in place.

I love perms, they're only considered old fashioned because they're associated with old women in little old fashioned salons.

Guy Tang has just done a perm on his channel in the past month, even though it didn't look particularly nice, it goes to show it's not just for ald dollies!!
I've watched loads of perming vids lately and they're gorgeous. They put an emphasis on taking messy sections so the end result isn't an antwacky, perfect, set look.

Defo get a perm! [emoji106]
I agree! That perm he did on the blonde girl *or was she brunette?! Oops i forgot haha* looked so bad, it looked so goofy, and it looked literally like she had fried her hair it was so unnatural looking :c That honestly disappointed me, and it's not even just the way it looked, its the fact she'll wake up to that daily :mad:

To me it looked as if she'd had a weave fitted and the wefts were sewn too close together making it look dead bulky. It just goes to show brilliant hairdressers aren't good at every single aspect of Hairdressing. He should stick with the balayages/ombres .

I really really want a perm as well.
I used to have naturally curly hair but as I get older it just seems to be getting flatter and flatter.

Let us know how you get on if you manage to find someone to do it?
I'm scared it'll just go wild and be a poodle perm :eek::p

Latest posts

Back