Perm/re-perm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
I've got a client in this week who recently had a perm and it's dropped out (around 4 weeks ago) Is it ok to re perm so soon? I got loreal dulcia from my warehouse, I got a number 1 for natural hair & a number 2 for sensitised hair. I'd say the hair is sensitised because she's recently had a perm but would you guys agree? I don't do perms very often and this brand is new to me so any help is appreciated :)

Also... Different client... Has natural wave in her hair (shoulder length, tinted brown I think) wants a bit more of a curl to it but not a full on perm like the older ladies have, what rollers would you suggest to use? The biggest perm rollers I have are grey but I think I need something bigger, like the size of a medium setting roller? Can I use setting rollers or does it have to be perm rollers? Tia :)

I've got a client in this week who recently had a perm and it's dropped out (around 4 weeks ago) Is it ok to re perm so soon? I got loreal dulcia from my warehouse, I got a number 1 for natural hair & a number 2 for sensitised hair. I'd say the hair is sensitised because she's recently had a perm but would you guys agree? I don't do perms very often and this brand is new to me so any help is appreciated :)

Also... Different client... Has natural wave in her hair (shoulder length, tinted brown I think) wants a bit more of a curl to it but not a full on perm like the older ladies have, what rollers would you suggest to use? The biggest perm rollers I have are grey but I think I need something bigger, like the size of a medium setting roller? Can I use setting rollers or does it have to be perm rollers? Tia :)
Hi kahuna , when I worked in a salon the usual reason for the perm dropping was it hadn't been rinsed for long enough before neutralising . If that happened we always re-permed usually 24-48 hours later and rinsed it ourselves to make sure, just normal perm solution. They always came out fine hair integrity good.
I did my level 3 two years ago and did three perms with large setting rollers with very large end papers, mainly to get good root lift worked great, found it bit trickier but worth it. Sad never get asked for perms now.

Hi kahuna, I would normally use number 2 on coloured hair. You could always use a bit of pre perm lotion on the more porous parts if your worried but if her hair is a bit resistant and not coloured a 2 may be too gentle and 1 may be better or have a bottle of each and use 2 on any areas that seem a bit dry.

With the other one, if you don't have bigger rods or plastic setting rollers, you could do the technique where you wind it half way in your grey rod, then put another grey rod in halfway down under the first one so you are then winding the hair over 2 rods if that makes sense which will make it looser through roots and mid lengths .
Not sure if I explained it very well but we used to call it piggyback!

I had my hair permed twice in the last 2-3 weeks with dulcia. It's feels fine but it has definitely lightened it.

I had my hair permed twice in the last 2-3 weeks with dulcia. It's feels fine but it has definitely lightened it.
Curious? Why twice? I think you need to update ur profile pic now @adamlea87 which number did you use?

I'm not sure what number it was. The first time was just an experiment to get some root lift, and the second time it was to get a bit more movement. It's starting to go straighter again now, which is a shame because I liked having some wave in it, but it's still not as flat so I'm happy. My hair is really straight and flat and lifeless so I happy to see any degree of movement or lift!!

I'm not sure what number it was. The first time was just an experiment to get some root lift, and the second time it was to get a bit more movement. It's starting to go straighter again now, which is a shame because I liked having some wave in it, but it's still not as flat so I'm happy. My hair is really straight and flat and lifeless so I happy to see any degree of movement or lift!!
Could the dropping be because your resistant? I hope these perms don't drop for everyone! What sort of rollers did u use? How long is your hair nowadays? Last pic I saw of u it was the combover type style

I've seen it now, stalker much ;) just seen on ig, that is quite loose, what roller did u use?

My hair probably is resistant anyway, but we used the bendy rollers so it was never going to very curly. But next time I might try and get proper curls! My hair is just down to the tip of my nose if I pull it down, and I was always blowdrying it back every day, so at least I have been able to diffuse it in the morning and wear it in a messy wave.

Had my first perm in the salon tonight since we opened, was beginning to think I would never do one again! Luckily I Had some replacement rubber bands as they had all perished on the rods where they have not been used in so long! I hope their coming back, love a bit of perm winding!

Had my first perm in the salon tonight since we opened, was beginning to think I would never do one again! Luckily I Had some replacement rubber bands as they had all perished on the rods where they have not been used in so long! I hope their coming back, love a bit of perm winding!
I tried the piggyback method today on a block did one side like that and the other with setting rollers, I ised the grey road their the biggest I have, the curl was really nice but a bit large, I'm going to use a blue into a grey next time see if that's better, I used the number 1 after for my lady who's perm had dropped, my junior rinsed it but she wasn't convinced the curl was very good, if it drops again I'm just gonna use the resistant lol

There is also the hopscotch method where you leave a section out each time and then when you have finished your horizontal wind down, you then wind the left out sections in a vertical placement that sits on top of the horizontal rods. I'm rubbish at explaining on here but that also gives a varied curl movement with looser at the roots for the rods on top.

There is also the hopscotch method where you leave a section out each time and then when you have finished your horizontal wind down, you then wind the left out sections in a vertical placement that sits on top of the horizontal rods. I'm rubbish at explaining on here but that also gives a varied curl movement with looser at the roots for the rods on top.
That's like the Gemini perm, I googled that the other day, I was looking for how to get curls like the lady off dragons den, I love her curls, I'll give that a go too :) thank u

Ooh not heard that name before, there's loads coming back to me now. There was a stack perm where we wound from nape up and each rod sat on one below so it came out like a wedge shape, then the weave perm where weaved sections were just left out for a really loose volumised effect. A few years ago when I Was working at college, a loreal rep came in and did some cpd with us where we put the hair in a few ponytails and permed it from the ponytails for a beach wave effect which was good but not sure if it would last long! I only ever did the techniques on a block tho as all the clients just wanted standard or corkscrew perms so couldn't say which ones give the best effect. Look forward to hearing about yours!

I used to love the winding process of a perm! I found it very therapeutic I think I was the only one that liked doing them although I hated the smell!

We had acrylics and a perm in yesterday it was humming in the shop lol, I hate winding on short hair, especially if my hands are cold..

Out of curiosity what do u all charge for a perm? Do you charge different prices for old lady perms compared to medium & long hair?

Another question :) how long do you leave between Perming & colouring hair? Which is best to do first?

I'd advise perm first.
The solution will take some of the colour out.
Also, it's best to do on natural hair, you'll get a better curl/wave.

You can use colourance while the neutraliser is still on the hair or colour with permanent a week later. If you colour first, the neutraliser will lift out some of the colour cos it's hydrogen peroxide based.

Leave at least a week.....
1. Just in case there's a problem with the perm, you don't want the complication of a new colour in the mix!
2. The scalp may be slightly sensitised from the perming process, so could cause 'irritation' if colour is applied too soon after the perm..

Latest posts

Back