Perm/re-perm?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This client has previous colour on it (box) last applied 5 weeks ago, she wants a spiral perm, I've just gotten this text after asking if she wants to book in, I'm thinking I shouldn't bother tbh, I hate Perming lol as u can tell from all my questions :(

Here's the text, excuse the grammar:

My hair shouldn't snap etc... I'm a bit scared tbh x had it done 25 urs ago she burnt my scalp hair snapped off had alopecia artera for yrs after too !! Occasionally suffer now n again ! Can you re-assure me please

@tsparker78 @satchel would olaplex be good to use on the client above with her perm? My initial thought is not to do it at all given her history, but maybe with olaplex it might be ok? Or no?

Haven't done a perm in ages, but from everything i have learned about olaplex, yes!

But, to be honest, i wouldn't touch the client who sent that message with a perm. Some individuals are more sensative than other to perming than others and everything she said is a red flag to me.

I would reccomend using regular formula for the perm strength as the last perm was probably to weak to hold a curl. Yes its safe you would know by looking and feeling the hair if it was unsafe.

I haven't read whole thread, but did read message above. I would have said yes to using Olaplex with the perm until I read she had alopecia. And still suffers from it now. Thankfully she is telling you her hair history. Listen to what she is saying. I'd personally say a big: No.

Thanks guys I appreciate your feedback :)

I will say this about the olaplex. If a client who didn't claim her hair had fallen out after a perm showed up, and she had had anything whatsoever done to her hair that i didn't do, a previous perm, boxed color etc. I'd do an olaplex treatment or two before perming her hair. The reason i said i wouldn't do it is because I've only seen a perm truly ruin hair a handful of times, and it always involved bleach. As in the client had bleach on her hair at some point. Now do i think Kahuna can evaluate the condition of a clients hair? Yes, absolutely. But I've seen more than one stylist who couldn't or didn't bother.

I do alot of perms and I would always 100% recommend goldwell bio life 1. It's a lovely perm and comes out nice whatever the hair type.
From past experience I've always found the number 2 in any brand to be too weak and literally lasts a matter of days.
You can perm on any type of rollers as long as they're plastic or rubber, and don't have any sort of metal or metal pins on them as they can rust onto the hair and cause staining.
Always leave 1 to 2 weeks between perming and colouring and always perm first as it strips the colour.

Latest posts

Back