Perming?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHarvey

Reaction score
Does any body still perm? I've been hairdressing for 15 years and every now and then there will be an industry buzz as a new perm/perming technique is in trade press but it never comes to fruition. Do you think it's because clients have bad memories and don't realise that perms really are not the same as in the 80s or is it because clients now enjoy the versatility of straightening/curling methods which are temporary?
I've only ever done 4 perms in 15 years so I will be up the preverbial without a paddle if they DO come back! Lol
Who thinks they will become booming business again and who thinks they went out with frosted tips?

I chose to do perming as one of my options for my level 2 but I must admit i'm really struggling to get a model for my below the shoulder perming assessment because people just don't want their hair permed. The only perms I have done have been on OAP's with short hair.

Personally I hope they do come back into fashion because I used to love my long curly hair back in the day - it was so easy to style...just scrunch n go :biggrin:

People in Essex must love perms as I'm always perming, had 4this week :)

I'm lucky that I'm mobile so I don't have to do it, only Do my nans but if someone asked for one I would do it but I mainly have a younger/middle aged women

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

i used to do loads of perming hated long hair perms. i hardly do any now 1 or 2 a year its mostly colouring these days. i used to work with a girl who used to perm then do bleach hilights straight after omg!! hair was like snot lol. can anyone remember perming on those bendy things cant think of the name to give more spiral curl??:eek:

i used to do loads of perming hated long hair perms. i hardly do any now 1 or 2 a year its mostly colouring these days. i used to work with a girl who used to perm then do bleach hilights straight after omg!! hair was like snot lol. can anyone remember perming on those bendy things cant think of the name to give more spiral curl??:eek:

Molten browners

I do about 4-5 a year,had a new perm client a couple of months ago ,just past shoulder length white thick smooth hair did blues it was beautiful probably the best perm I have ever done ,but no I don't think thay will ever come back ,did wella not use to do some kind of temporary perm it was nice can't remember the name :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

ooh I've just had a flashback to the time i sprayed sun-in on my recently permed hair! it turned into dreadlocks and i had to have the lot cut off - not a pleasant memory!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

ooh I've just had a flashback to the time i sprayed sun-in on my recently permed hair! it turned into dreadlocks and i had to have the lot cut off - not a pleasant memory!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I think this is why clients are frightened of perms! I remember watching my mum getting a poodle perm after her bleach blonde cap lights lol

I used to have the poodle perm in the 80s. It will definately come back. Look how everyone has their hair dead straight now, with no fringe, that was the look back in the 60's, then it was the poodle perm and fringes and now back to straight with no fringe again.

Same as clothes. Never would I have thought legging would come back or pedal pushers or those flying suit things. All back though.

Round and round it goes. You will be doing tons of them again sooner or later:green: mark my words.

I actually advised our apprentice to do perming, think it teaches you so much about sectioning, hair growth patterns, tension..

I tend to do more root perms than normal perms, I use tin foil pasted with hair gel instead of end papers. Gives lots of movement at the root and straighter ends :)

Latest posts

Back