Personal taste affecting your business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
I love doing nails but I'm not all that creative! I'm slowly learning and picking up tips and idea from SG!

Whilst I would like to cater for my clients I simply do not want someone walking around with a big lime neon acrylic now on their ring finger saying I did them!

I appreciate this can be seen as snobbery! At the moment I'm not confident anyway so I certainly don't want anything else to hinder my business!

But could it go the other way!!! Seen as boring perhaps! I don't know!

How does your personal taste effect your business. How different is your work to your personal taste

I didn't do either of these sets! Obviously! ;-)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362598379.663971.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362598379.663971.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 468
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362598388.021595.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1362598388.021595.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 457
I guess if I think something is really hideous I try to guide a customer towards something a little better. To be fair I have never had it happen.

I personally dont like french (boring) and I dont like nail art but I do both because some of my customers do like them. I also have colours I dont really like but others go mad for.

If I suggested nail art or a ring finger manicure to one of my clients in particular she would practically run away, but another wont have anything but Rockstars. Different strokes for different folks.

Nails are a form of expression for people so it's down to them, with a little bit of a nudge in the right direction from me.

I think that if you only create nails that are to your taste then you'll be losing a lot of custom! That's not to say that your nails can't all be tastefully done though.

I think your branding, products, price point and how you portray yourself and your business will ultimately attract a certain clientele and you can definitely influence all of those things.

And who's to say Lime green nails can't look good, otherwise why would CND just have released Limeade ;-) x

I don't tend to get this but I remember one set in particular I done - I hated but still put it on my fb page as my client was very happy! It got a lot of likes & comments which shocked me! It has taught me to be a bit more open minded in what a client now asks for, suppose it all stems down to fashion. Not everything you like but it could show to potential clients the variety in which you offer? X

Yes, we are in the business of customer service! Even if they are not your taste you can still do a brilliant job.

I always want to my french clients to have smiles that will create the illusion of a lovely long nail bed and yet some will still ask for the smile line to be straight! I don't love this at all, but they are paying me so I will try to advise them but ultimately I want them to be happy and come back.

It doesn't affect my business. I know that it's all techitions/therapists jobs to keep the natural nail safe and do everything according to manufactures instructions. As long as the nail is cared for and safe I encourage a client to have what ever she wants. It's a nail! It's fun! It's a luxury to make someone feel good and express themselves. Obviously you want to make a nail flattering to the clients hands and appropriate for their life style but apart from that let them go wild. One personal idea of art is different to another!

I would never let someone walk out of the salon with a poor set of nails, the nails might not be to my taste but I don't have to wear them.

You can steer your clients so far but if they don't get what they want they will go elsewhere.

I always make sure I tell my clients that they can tell me if they don't like something, I'd rather they tell me than go elsewhere next time.

I love doing nails but I'm not all that creative! I'm slowly learning and picking up tips and idea from SG!

Whilst I would like to cater for my clients I simply do not want someone walking around with a big lime neon acrylic now on their ring finger saying I did them!

I appreciate this can be seen as snobbery! At the moment I'm not confident anyway so I certainly don't want anything else to hinder my business!

But could it go the other way!!! Seen as boring perhaps! I don't know!

How does your personal taste effect your business. How different is your work to your personal taste

I didn't do either of these sets! Obviously! ;-)
hi I like French too . But then I'm quite boring person . I don't like wearing colours but I was thinking I have to start wearing so that I get more customers as I have just started to charge people . X

Taste is subjective and you will never, ever please each and every person at the one time.

I do nails that I wouldn't choose, but my clients are delighted.

As long as my work is executed perfectly, and my client is happy, then that is all that matters. I've seen nails that I'm not sure about.

I also have to agree with the above post - your branding and salon decor will attract the clients who have the same sense of taste to you. If your salon is done in calming, elegant colours and branding, then your clients will be of similar taste. Equally, if your salon is all zebra print, hot pink and black and called pretty beatch then you're clientele and their tastes will be very different :)

I agree with you that often clients ask for things that I would personally hate, but I have seen a set of nails before that looked gorgeous involving lime green. They had silver glitter tips on all fingers except the ring finger on each hand and these had glittery lime green tips, almost like a bright highlighter green and they looked gorgeous! I wouldn't personally have them but they really suited that person
You also have to think about why they want that particular colour, it could be to match a dress/bikini/fancy dress outfit etc and it's not up to us what they wear on their body so how can we choose what they wear on their nails?
A quick search on google brought up this picture and that was the closest I could find to what I saw x

If I don't like it, I don't do it, I'm not partial to nail art (that's being polite), I show off beautiful natural looking enhancements and that sets me apart from the techs that do all the arty farty stuff, many clients don't want to be a billboard.
I'm very out, loud, proud .... but when it comes to nails, I prefer a more discreet look ...
BUT ..... there's no accounting for taste, whatever floats your boat :D

IMO the only limits are my imagination and whats in the customers purse.:biggrin:.
If they want to pay for it and I can do it, I will.

BUT....

I had a lady recently wanted a straight across white french .

Now I think that if you're going for french , you have to have a nice smile line and not just a stripe of white which would look like an amateur had done them.
So I refused point blank to do it.... No way , they would look terrible and if anyone asked where she had them done!:sad:

She left with a beautiful , smiley french.

Latest posts

Back