Phone help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deeders

Reaction score
I've recently started to wear hearing aids due to substantial hearing loss, which is very daunting and I've suddenly found myself in a really loud world! I'm discovering new noises every day but I'm getting really frustrated because I can't hear properly when I'm on the phone, mobile or landline. I'm just wondering whether anyone else has this problem and can recommend a good hearing aid compatible mobile and landline phone please

Hiya, I take mine out and put the phone on speaker. I have my mobile on speaker too. Not much help but just to say the 'loudness' of everything does settle down as you get used to your hearing aids :) x

Yea that's what I've been told!! I work in an office and the biggest part of my job is on the phone so I can't keep taking it off and putting it back on - it just wouldn't be practical. I've gone from being really excited to be able to hear again to being so disheartened to be missing out on having a phone conversation. Thank you for replying though, at least I'm not alone !!

Curious . How did you manage on the phone in the office before you had your aids ?

Were you not able to use the phone at all ?

x

Yea that's what I've been told!! I work in an office and the biggest part of my job is on the phone so I can't keep taking it off and putting it back on - it just wouldn't be practical. I've gone from being really excited to be able to hear again to being so disheartened to be missing out on having a phone conversation. Thank you for replying though, at least I'm not alone !!

Ahhh right - that definitely wouldn't be practical. Can your HR / personnel team help you?

My nan has had hearing aids for a year and a half now and it's a total god send. But she did say "I don't like it, I can even hear my own heartbeat" lol. But she got used to all the noises and she's fine now, except one thing. She cannot hear a thing with them in, on the phone. She said she just can't hear, it's echoey and so faint it's unrecognisable from a noise. These are her first ones, and they were through the doctors/hospital so I don't think there expensive ones, maybe that doesn't happen with expensive ones?

I could hear OK on the phone before my aids but now they're in I can't hear! I googled it and it says to hold the earpiece of the phone just above my ear so the microphone can pick up the noise but it doesn't, and I've tried moving it around in different positions but nothing works. I've contacted our IT department who have suggested a loop system phone and are currently trying g to source so hopefully it won't be long. My landline at home is useless and so is my mobile because I still have the same problem. With my mobile I can put it on loud speaker and I can hear, but it's not very personal when there's others about. Really frustrated with it all

Silly suggestion but if you could hear on the phone without your aids then why wear them when on the phone ?

Most NHS hearing aids have diff settings on them and you need to click for things such as phone or Tv

Did your audiologist not explain that to you and set them accordingly ?

x

My little boy has has hearing aids since he was 2 (currently having a 3 month trial without) But whenever he spoke to grandparents on the phone, we had to put my mobile on loudspeaker as he couldn't hear otherwise.

But if you ask at your hearing department, they will be able to supply you with a thing (not helpful I know lol) that clips onto the phone and also clips onto the hearing aid.

Silly suggestion but if you could hear on the phone without your aids then why wear them when on the phone ?

Most NHS hearing aids have diff settings on them and you need to click for things such as phone or Tv

Did your audiologist not explain that to you and set them accordingly ?

x

I've got a choice of turning off background noise and to tune in to a loop system. He told me that most mobile phones these days do models which are hearing aid compatible and BT offer a good range of landlines. I don't want to spend out a fortune so I'd rather have a recommendation by someone who have sy chess with a certain model.

ok . In my experience if you are hard of hearing then the best phone in the world will still not be good enough .

The loop system I just could not get on with and quite frankly is a pain the the a..e

Likewise turning off background noise . That only helps if there is a lot of noise at your end but does not alter the sound at the other end of the phone which is whats important

I have a Panasonic phone that I have had for years and it was the best I could find but I still need it on loudspeaker . Its a hands free one that you can take round the house

BUT I have to say that I bought myself some CIN hearing aids and while not as powerful I can hear much better on my mobile and house phone that I can with the NHS ones - Not much help I know and an added expense

I think you may have to resign yourself to having the phone on loudpseaker I am afraid :(

As far as I am concerned the phone is my nemesis !

ok . In my experience if you are hard of hearing then the best phone in the world will still not be good enough .

The loop system I just could not get on with and quite frankly is a pain the the a..e

Likewise turning off background noise . That only helps if there is a lot of noise at your end but does not alter the sound at the other end of the phone which is whats important

I have a Panasonic phone that I have had for years and it was the best I could find but I still need it on loudspeaker . Its a hands free one that you can take round the house

BUT I have to say that I bought myself some CIN hearing aids and while not as powerful I can hear much better on my mobile and house phone that I can with the NHS ones - Not much help I know and an added expense

I think you may have to resign yourself to having the phone on loudpseaker I am afraid :(

As far as I am concerned the phone is my nemesis !

Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate it. Not quite the answer I wanted but if that's how it is, that's how it is!!

I hope you find something that helps you and if so please share it with us.

I am lucky and as I run my own business so I can reduce phone use by encouraging texting and email appointment booking. One to one no one realises I'm hard of hearing but on the phone is a different matter! :)

Thank you for your honesty, I really appreciate it. Not quite the answer I wanted but if that's how it is, that's how it is!!

I know - Sorry . The reality of anyone with hearing loss is accepting your limitations unfortunately

Hearing aids however good cannot work like the human ear , they just can't . Honestly though I have found my samsung ace very very good on sound quality although I can't use my NHS aids with it . I use my CIC ones all the time now . I can hear much better on my mobile than i can on my landline

If you could hear on the phone before without your aids then your hearing loss is not as bad as mine so you may well be able to find a phone to suit your level of loss

. You can pick up a leaflet from the RNID and that lists loads of telephones for all uses bu I have not tried any of them myself . You should be able to try them at home to find what suits you

It is very difficult to get a phone to suit all hearing losses as what works for one may not work for another

Do you know what frequency ranges you cannot hear ? If you do that should help in your choice. Ask your audiologist

Apparently i would qualify for free smoke alarms and a vibrating alarm clock as when my husband is away I would not be able to hear either - comes under safety apparently

x

I know - Sorry . The reality of anyone with hearing loss is accepting your limitations unfortunately

Hearing aids however good cannot work like the human ear , they just can't . Honestly though I have found my samsung ace very very good on sound quality although I can't use my NHS aids with it . I use my CIC ones all the time now . I can hear much better on my mobile than i can on my landline

If you could hear on the phone before without your aids then your hearing loss is not as bad as mine so you may well be able to find a phone to suit your level of loss

. You can pick up a leaflet from the RNID and that lists loads of telephones for all uses bu I have not tried any of them myself . You should be able to try them at home to find what suits you

It is very difficult to get a phone to suit all hearing losses as what works for one may not work for another

Do you know what frequency ranges you cannot hear ? If you do that should help in your choice. Ask your audiologist

Apparently i would qualify for free smoke alarms and a vibrating alarm clock as when my husband is away I would not be able to hear either - comes under safety apparently

x
Wow I didn't know that, I'm finding new information out by the day!! I can hear my alarm clock cos I have the volume turned up quite high so not a problem for me at the moment. Am having horrendous problems at work though, with them trying to locate an appropriate phone (I work in an office) but fingers crossed it'll get sorted sooner rather than later. Thank you so much for your advice though, I really do appreciate it x

Oh and apparently if you are hearing impaired you also get discounted rail travel . About 30% I think

Read it in one of my leaflets although I cant remember the last time I took a train lol

x

RNID is the best to look at for any help or advice - my sister is 90% hearing impaired and they have been great- will help with any advice xx

Just wanted to post my update on the phone situation!! I ordered a landline phone from Action on Hearing Loss website, Doro Comfort 1010 (couldn't find the one recommended by fellow geek) and it came the next day. I set it up, and using my loop option on my aid, I can finally have a proper phone conversation! It's fantastic and I'm so relieved! Meanwhile I had a play with my BlackBerry mobile and after a good hour (lol, I'm useless honestly!!) I found the default ear volume was set to 50%, so I ramped that up to 100% and now I can have a private chat without having to put on the loudspeaker. My boss is ordering me a Madonna headset from Action which is hearing aid compatible, for work so if this is anything like my landline, everything will be ok. Thank you so much for all your advice, recommendations, private messages and replies - you've all been so helpful and supportive xxx

Latest posts

Back