Phone Scam Beware

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
Hi All, just wanted to let you know that there are a couple of phone scams going around at the moment with Motorola and Nokia phones. Please dont get caught out.

1. If you recieve a call from anyone saying that they are an engineer from your service provider and testing the lines and ask you to type in #90 or #09, hang up immediatley. This is a fraud company who uses a device that once you have punched in these numbers they can access your phone and SIM details and make calls at your expense.

2. If you recieve a call and the phone screen shows Xalan, do not answer the call. If you answer then your phone will be infected with a virus. The virus will erase all IMCI and IMSI information from the phone and SIM. You will not be able to connect to your network or any network and you will have to buy a new mobile.

David

I got a phone call last night from "orange" first they asked me did I have a Nokia phone, I said I had a motorola - but shouldn't they know that? she then went on to say how i could have free calls and stuff and did i know i was due for an upgrade. This got me suspicious as i've ony just had my Orange upgrade so I asked " Are you orange" her reply was "we are ringing on behalf of Orange" and started off on her speil again. I said hang on and pased the phone to hubby who asked her was she from orange. Again she said "on behalf of orange"..........anyway to cut a long story short she wasn't from orange!!!! and he cur her off

The #90/#09 thing definitely an urban myth and has been circulating for years, I used to work in Telecoms and was told about it well over 5 years ago.

Also no phone can flash up words on an incoming call unless the number has already been allocated to those words - ie. if you program your phone with my name and number it will flash up my name when I call from that number. Phone numbers are just that, numbers, not letters and it's not possible.

As far as I know there are no actual virus' that can be sent by phone calls, it could possibly be done by text but it's not actually happened yet.

HTH

I do know of one that we had circulated around work- a colleague got caught out on it...

It basically was something along the lines of you receive an incoming call as an anonymous caller, when you answer, it then tells you to hold while you are transferred to a mail box(or something like this), then it transfers your call to a premium rate number & charges you about £15 a min while you are holding (it does this several times while you are still holding)-

I must admit im a bit vague on this as the warning went around a couple of months ago... i will find out this weekend & post more information.

Latest posts

Back