Photographing makeup and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeupandbeauty

Reaction score
I really struggle to get a decent photo of my makeup and nails. I did two clients yesterday and I was so blown away at the difference with their makeup and my pictures are just rubbish. I have a Sony Xperia z1 but there's something wrong with the camera as it's cloudy. I used to use my camera but it's about 5 years old now and not the best either. I don't want to filter or edit, I just want to show off my work well. What can yu suggest?

Thanks

Blummin good question! When I photograph makeup sometimes the pigments look washed out (this is disappointing considering how vibrant they look in real life!).

I'm hoping to get a professional portfolio together at some point so I can get solid evidence together of what I can do but equally I would also like to know how to take good photos at random.

Until I find a decent camera (I don't actually have a clue what Im looking for)
I've resorted to taking short videos of my make ups on clients. I find it shows up better than in a photo.
Just an idea until you find a camera xx

My iPhone takes cloudy pics too now. It's getting on though, 4S. I now use my iPad as that seems to do it very well. Can't wait for Christmas now, hubby has got me the new 6S+.

I just got Samsung s6 camera is amazing after having an iPhone 5

I have a Sony Xperia z1 but there's something wrong with the camera as it's cloudy.

When this happens, it's usually due to the camera setting mode (automatic when it should be manual, and adjusted accordingly). Depending on the lighting and not holding the camera still, will make the camera readjust thus causing a blur. Sometimes, updating your phone firmware can really improve the quality. In some rare cases, it could be a scratch or smudge on the lens.

I used to use my camera but it's about 5 years old now and not the best either. I don't want to filter or edit, I just want to show off my work well. What can yu suggest?Thanks

If you plan on uploading the photos to your social media profile, most 5-year-old cameras will do great if you know how to adjust the settings, and use the proper lighting. I use a 5+ year-old Canon PowerShot, and a 5+ year-old Fujifilm Finepix, and they work great for 98% of the photos I want to take.

Reading a guide about how to adjust your camera's ISO, shutter speed, and aperture settings (http://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/understanding-exposure-settings/), will help tremendously for older cameras.

Build a light box for nail photography (http://www.chalkboardnails.com/2012/03/intermediate-nail-photography-lightbox.html). This creates an even light and color to take better photographs. I made a photography lightbox - my cost was under $5 and it works great with my older cameras.

Use a tripod. This removes any chance of a photo becoming blurry. This is especially true when I adjust the ISO and aperture to allow more light in.

I hope this helps!

I really struggle to get a decent photo of my makeup and nails. I did two clients yesterday and I was so blown away at the difference with their makeup and my pictures are just rubbish. I have a Sony Xperia z1 but there's something wrong with the camera as it's cloudy. I used to use my camera but it's about 5 years old now and not the best either. I don't want to filter or edit, I just want to show off my work well. What can yu suggest?

Thanks

If you are indoors then the lighting will usually not be good enough, so you can try taking the photos outdoors (even on a cloudy day). Also you really do need to hold the camera absolutely dead still, so try holding it in both hands and rest your arms on your chest. Try and lean against a wall too if possible. I'm sure your old camera is fine, it's the lighting that's most important.

Latest posts

Back