Pincer toe nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
I have a client who I haven't seen in ages pop into the salon today and her toe nail is similiar to the picture posted.
It is very painful, she cannot wear shoes and if it gets touched she is in agony.
She has been to the doctor/podiatrist/chiropodist and none of them seem to be in any hurry to do something about it.
It was just starting to curl the last time I did her nails last year and I told her to get it seen to.
A year later and it is a mess!

But what causes a pincer toe nail?

Attachments

• pincer nail.jpg
    pincer nail.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2,699
Bad fitting shoes... Genetics... Many causes! You really shouldn't have done a pedicure if you were concerned... You could have worsened her condition and Your insurance would be invalid as your not qualified

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch my nans big toe nail looks like this it's not quite so bad but I have started cutting out a V to help flatten it out a bit so far she said it is less painfull so fingers crossed

Bad fitting shoes... Genetics... Many causes! You really should have done a pedicure if you were concerned... You could have worsened her condition and Your insurance would be invalid as your not qualified

Pincer nails are not a contraindication Beauvous. Clients can end up with inflammation and possibly infection if they're digging at the skin, etc..but if there is no infection/inflammation present then there is no contraindication as pincer nails are not infectious.

Last edited:
This would be an involuted nail and fairly common. The important thing is cutting them correctly. They must never be cut in such a way that the lateral sides of the nail are shorter than the end of the sulcus so that they do not ingrow.

They are prone to being painful (and ingrowing) and this can be dealt with by a foot health practitioner of podiatrist by filing/packing.

But as far as pedicures go they are fine - its just the nail cutting that is problematic.

Just to clarify this lady has been to a doctor and a chiropodist and a podiatrist. None of them seem in the least bit concerned with her discomfort.:sad::sad:

I would have normally seen her over the summer every year and she would have a file and polish/shellac.
Her nails were normal, no soreness, redness, infection , onycholysis, discolouration , nail cut straight across.
She wears flip flops mostly.

Last summer the one nail was starting to curl.
I know pincer nails are a form of ingrowing nail but I am astounded (given the seemingly ''normal'' nature of her nails prior to this) that her nail could contort like that !

She needs to try to get help as there is treatment - it's not right she should be in such discomfort. She would probably need to go private if the NHS won't help. Hope she gets it sorted

x

Latest posts

Back