Planning Permission

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loza789

Reaction score
hi guys,

i'm really hoping you can help me with this one.

at christmas i decided to turn my front room into a home salon. i keep all my kit in there and have a nail station and treatment bed. i also have posters in the window with special offers etc...i work full time in an office and do mobile, i have around 1 client per week that comes to the home salon.

anyhow, i looked into it and found that i don't need planning permission as the house is mainly residential. i've just had a call from the council saying that a local resident has complained and put in an objection to the home salon. they're insisting that its uses predominatley for business and are demanded i apply for permission and said i will have to pay rates.

they're saying all the info i found on the internet has 'miss informed me'.

i don't know what to do know. my neighbour is a total prat and will stop at nothing to make life miserable for everyone else. has anyone else been in a similar situation? what do i do now?

thanks geeks x

I'd try and get a free consultation first, e.g see below

Working from home – do I need planning permission? | Plainview Planning

Depending on your circumstances and what you decide to do, there may be a cost involved and so I'd shop around depending on the advice given to you. If you only have one person coming to your home salon, you might decide it's not cost effective to continue, on the other hand if you want to continue & build it up you might need to factor in what the costs will be.

From a personal point of view, I'd remove the posters from your window as this promotes the fact you are running a business from home and this might go some way to placate your neighbour.

Good luck!

It depends on your council hun, mine says as long as theres no markerting visible so unfortunatley I cant put signs in my window etc, but usually if you can prove its a home and not a business as usual use you should be fine ...

You can prove this by a letter from your office job confirming you work full time, so you cant possibly be running your beauty business all the time!! Also if you can show them one of your adverts for mobile that would help, but definitely take and marketing down.

Let us know how you get on nosey neighbors hey!!:irked:

Hiya,

I've just had a very conversation with a manager at the planning office. They've confirmed that my home salon is fine and doesn't need any permission. She said I'm allowed to put up one A4 size sign in my window, which I'm happy about.

She also said she's not worried about traffic, parking etc...

Obviously not the desired affect from my neighbour. Why can't people just wish you well rather than doing their level best to cause a problem !

Latest posts

Back