Plastic loyalty cards

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmJ

Reaction score
I'm quite interested in getting a loyalty card scheme with points rewards on a plastic card (boots/costa type thing)

I've found a website that does the cards plus a card reader for about 300quid and it backs up to the Internet do you can add the persons details to the card, add the points in the reader then check it all online! http://www.reward-it.co.uk/system/index.html

Had anyone else used anything like this? I've been thinking about a loyalty scheme for a while but done really want to go down the generic route of a stamp card with a certain amount off!

Any recommendations or personal experiences would be happily received!

Oh and just to add - would it be an idea to charge each client say £3-£4 fir a card to "sign up" to the loyalty scheme to reap some money back for the cards? I'm thinking Oyster card, you don't mind paying a small fee for the card as you know you'll b getting a discounted service!

Just bumping up :)

I hate to sound like a luddite, as I'm all for inventive marketing campaigns.

But, unless you're operating a chain of salons, isn't it over-egging it a bit?

You'd have to get a fair bit of business just to pay for the reader!

I've thought of "memberships" schemes myself for my design clients (i.e. they pay a membership fee and get a large regular discount throughout the year). But, I'm not massively convinced yet.

Is there any reason why you don't want to go down the traditional card route? If it aint broke don't fix it as far as I'm concerned.

Id say I you can afford it and if your clients are willing to pay for there start up card then i don't see why not just go for it! It will hopefully increase and get more regular customers as there getting something abit extra for there money. Just my advice

LusciousLocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not do what boots do. Maybe they have to pay £5 joining fee or something but it already comes loaded with say 50 points. 1 point = 1p and for every £1 they spend they get 4 points? They can save then up and redeem them off treatments and products? The start up fee covers the costs plus they get the start up points so it's a bit more of an incentive. Xx

In any case- don't buy anything and commit yourself without doing market research....why not ask your clients if it's something that would interest them first?

I don't think it's a case of having a chain of salons, I have a large client base and am booked up weeks in advance and I just want something to reward my customers!

I'm just not a massive of paper loyalty cards, I feel they can get jumbled up easily and lost, whereas a plastic card is more likely to be treasured! I also would love something a bit different, a real talking point and to amaze my customers if you like!!

Points and spending is obviously something I would have to work out, but I feel it's something that would benefit and reward my loyal customers without me having to put too much effort in! For example, this year I have my clients a. £5 off voucher for January, If I had the rewards scheme I could say 200 extra points on all transactions within a certain time scale etc rather than actually giving money away.

Realistically say someone spent £50 per month which is probably average for my monthly returning customers, they would add up about £6 a year in rewards. Add to this certain promotions etc and it means that the more loyal you are - the more you get! Also means customers who spend more would be rewarded differently which I like!

Something to think about I suppose, I'm not really in a rush to do this but just wanted to know if anyone had done it already
I've spoken to card save who do a loyalty scheme but it's only for their existing customers and I'm quite happy with sumup at the moment

At the salon we work at we used bracelets as a loyalty scheme. Had different styles for ladies and gents and I think they cost £5 to buy and lasted a year so had to rent after that time and you got about a 10% discount of every visit if your showed it. Not too sure on the numbers and can't remember why but it didn't end up working out think it was because as everybody's average bill was lower and every stylists commission was less. It was a nice idea though so shame it didn't work! I think plastic cards are great as paper ones are easily disposable and makes the salon seem more professional so hope it's worth it cost wise! X

If you order plastic cards in a reasonable amount you can easily get them £2 and under each.

I loved the idea of a points scheme using mag strips on plastic cards ... I looked it up and just got a price list and samples through the post :) they look really nice and professional, and not as expensive as you might think. Xx

Looking at my catalogue now it's £95 for 200 coloured cards printed with 2 colours with mag strips that's including VAT and postage. Less then 50p a card. Xx

Looking at my catalogue now it's £95 for 200 coloured cards printed with 2 colours with mag strips that's including VAT and postage. Less then 50p a card. Xx

Like I say. Depends on lots of variations :)

Where did you get that price from? And do you get th device to add/check and take off the points?

Where did you get that price from? And do you get th device to add/check and take off the points?

I'm pretty sure that would be price just for the cards.

A salon near me who I used before training has a point system, not sure how they do it (no cards just put in their computer system and you can check online how many points you have) and you can spend them on services or retail products :) works really well for them xxx

It was just cards, but a machine can be picked up cheap. A lot cheaper then your previous quote. They sent me loads of free samples and a price brochure. Obviously the more you buy the cheaper it gets I'll have a look which company it is now. Xx

Just a thought. You could team up with another local Salon or therapist that offers different treatments to you. Which in turn would help you both gain customers and recommendations. Then the clients could redeem the points for a variety of things.

As I said just a thought, not sure of how it and if it would work well, something to consider though.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks , I didn't know you could pick up readers separately ! This is why I need to research and wanted some opinions! If you could let me know the company you're looking at that would be fab!I'm not particularly looking to gain new customers as I'm really booked up with the ones I've got, just trying to find different ways to reward the ones I've got rather than special offers with money discounts!

Latest posts

Back