Please, can anyone help me with Gelish lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glammymammy

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me out before I go and just sell on my kit for gelish.
I purchased the kit from Harmony here in Ireland and I was only using it for myself however I also do my friends and families nails :)

My problem is this and it is only when I do my own nails everybody else gets 2-3 weeks from the gelish no problem but mine lift off after 2-3 days :(

I have the 18g led lamp I prep the nail dehydrate with phbond and apply a tiny thin layer of base brush off the tacky layer apply thin layers of colour and then apply the top coat and I always the cap the free edge and cure for the right times and finally swipe the top coat.

Now if this problem was in every set of gelish I did then I would think it was something I was doing however it is ONLY with my own nails.

I am at my wits end and thinking of selling the kit on.....but before I do can anyone offer me some advice on why this is happening?
Thanks x

Do you lightly buff the nail before priming?

My own nails last less then a week only because I'm constantly doing others nails.all the products will lift the gelish no matter what so I wouldn't worry as long as it's lasting on you clients

Hi NikkiBee,

Thanks for your reply yes I lightly buff the nail then apply the phBond after removing the dust with a wipe x

My own nails last less then a week only because I'm constantly doing others nails.all the products will lift the gelish no matter what so I wouldn't worry as long as it's lasting on you clients

Hi Jen889,

I don't really do many nails at all maybe just my sister one week my Mum the next week I don't have clients so maybe I will be better selling on my kit as at the moment the only people benefiting are my friends and family :(
Thanks for your reply x

There is no one system to suit all people. Have you considered that maybe your nails need something stronger than a gel polish? You can always use Gelish over another system if its the colours you like

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I found this with Gelish but I use the phbond, the Cnd shellac base, the choice color in Gelish then shellac top coat! Never had a problem this way and lasted 3 weeks chip free! So strange!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi NikkiBee,

Thanks for your reply yes I lightly buff the nail then apply the phBond after removing the dust with a wipe x

When removing with a wipe, do you use Cleanser? I was taught to buff, brush (with manicure brush) cleanse, then pH Bond. When I do my own, i also only prep one hand at a time - not sure if any of this will help xx

There is no one system to suit all people. Have you considered that maybe your nails need something stronger than a gel polish? You can always use Gelish over another system if its the colours you like

Hi I had previously used shellac but this obviously was not strong enough for me this is why I changed to the gelish. What product would you recommend? Thanks x

I found this with Gelish but I use the phbond, the Cnd shellac base, the choice color in Gelish then shellac top coat! Never had a problem this way and lasted 3 weeks chip free! So strange!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow that sounds great 3 weeks I would love that....I will give that a trial and see how it goes but I did have shellac before the whole system and it was terrible on my nails so that is why I changed to Harmony x

When removing with a wipe, do you use Cleanser? I was taught to buff, brush (with manicure brush) cleanse, then pH Bond. When I do my own, i also only prep one hand at a time - not sure if any of this will help xx

Hey yes I use the cleanser to remove the dust/oils I don't brush and yes I also do one hand at a time in case any product transfers over to my other hand ;)
Thanks for your help everyone :)

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having problems!
Have you done the course? I resisted doing the course for about 2 years cause I had trained with OPI but I recently did the Gelish course and it's amazing. I know some people can't afford but it's deffo worse saving for.
I will list my procedure:
Cuticle work
File nails
Buff nails with softer side of 100/180 buffer
Wipe away dust with manicure brush
Apply ph bond over nail & free edge.
Apply foundation - with this it needs to be applied very very thinly so it almost looks matte. It should be scrubbed into the nail not brushed.
Dry brush foundation
Colour
Top it off

I cure in between obviously. Your foundation should only be cured for 5 seconds in led... Any longer & your over curing & breaking down the service.

Colour coats should be thin but not too thin.

Your clients nails may be too weak for a Gelish manicure to last. If so adding structure gel may help your manicure I further as it adds strength. Structure can be applied over foundation or over your last coat of cured colour. I find mine lasts longer over colour.
If you apply over the foundation be sure to dry brush once cured also.

Sorry if this is information overload. You can message me if you need more help xx

Hi I had previously used shellac but this obviously was not strong enough for me this is why I changed to the gelish. What product would you recommend? Thanks x

If Shellac isnt enough then I would use smoothing shellac under, If that isnt enough then I would go with an enhancement like a gel or liquid and powder

Hi,

Sorry to hear your having problems!
Have you done the course? I resisted doing the course for about 2 years cause I had trained with OPI but I recently did the Gelish course and it's amazing. I know some people can't afford but it's deffo worse saving for.
I will list my procedure:
Cuticle work
File nails
Buff nails with softer side of 100/180 buffer
Wipe away dust with manicure brush
Apply ph bond over nail & free edge.
Apply foundation - with this it needs to be applied very very thinly so it almost looks matte. It should be scrubbed into the nail not brushed.
Dry brush foundation
Colour
Top it off

I cure in between obviously. Your foundation should only be cured for 5 seconds in led... Any longer & your over curing & breaking down the service.

Colour coats should be thin but not too thin.

Your clients nails may be too weak for a Gelish manicure to last. If so adding structure gel may help your manicure I further as it adds strength. Structure can be applied over foundation or over your last coat of cured colour. I find mine lasts longer over colour.
If you apply over the foundation be sure to dry brush once cured also.

Sorry if this is information overload. You can message me if you need more help xx

Wow thank you for all that information it really helped. I didn't go and do the gelish course even though it was included with my kit :( as I had already trained with CND so thought I would be okay but you know something after reading your post I think I may have solved what I am doing wrong.....I cure the base for 30 sec's and not 5!!
Due to pure laziness if I am honest as I did not think it was that important I will a new set tomorrow following your guidelines precisely and fingers crossed it will be fine :)

Thank you so much I feel like such a dumbass :irked:

If Shellac isnt enough then I would use smoothing shellac under, If that isnt enough then I would go with an enhancement like a gel or liquid and powder

Thanks for those recommendations much appreciated as my above post says I might have found my error in the application I hope so x

Sorry for jumping in..just noticed curing time of 5 secs for foundation?i hv the mini gelish lamp and it states 45 seconds...am I also curing wrong?:-/

Foundation is cured for 10 seconds for LED and 60 seconds for uv. It says it on the bottle

Foundation is cured for 10 seconds for LED and 60 seconds for uv. It says it on the bottle

My gelish kit/box instructions states different..and timer is automatic to 45 secs:-/

When I trained with gelish they said 5secs for foundation. I use the 18g LED lamp. I just looked on their website but it doesn't say the cure times for the other lamps. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Laura xx

Yes I stated 5 seconds because the original poster has an 18g led lamp. I know with the lower lamps it's a higher cure time. I would contact your educator for guideline.

I'm glad my post helped. I hope things get better for you. If you got the training with the kit I would definitely get in contact & see if they would give you the training. I put of the Gelish training for ages but I am so happy I took it. I learnt so much, things I thought I already knew x

Latest posts

Back