Please can you critique my website?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hi,

Im a mobile beauty therapist and started in 2010. Since September its not been very good, this month is my worst so far only had two clients and this is my full time job so not good.
I advertise on netmums, and have regisitered my business on pretty much every free listing sites. I have given leaflets to various shops to have on their reception desks etc. I have contacted all my clients from last year with offers but nothing. Is it my website thats letting me down? are the prices wrong/layout any advice would be great.

Thank you

Home | Pink Beauty

Hey there!

I'm on my iPhone and noticed some of the prices did not display correctly. Under waxing there is a list of services and then a list of amounts. Otherwise I like it!!

It must be stressful being so slow, how are other businesses in your area performing? It may pay to sit outside one and watch comings and goings to get an idea.

Something is going wrong somewhere! Maybe you could email quick survey's to previous customers offering a gift for completing it. You could ask about pricing, treatments, your rooms, their current spending on beauty and what they are looking for when deciding which businesses to custom.

Make the survey no more then a few mins so people will actually do it!

And then act on the information!

Xx good luck

Hey there!

I'm on my iPhone and noticed some of the prices did not display correctly. Under waxing there is a list of services and then a list of amounts. Otherwise I like it!!

It must be stressful being so slow, how are other businesses in your area performing? It may pay to sit outside one and watch comings and goings to get an idea.

Something is going wrong somewhere! Maybe you could email quick survey's to previous customers offering a gift for completing it. You could ask about pricing, treatments, your rooms, their current spending on beauty and what they are looking for when deciding which businesses to custom.

Make the survey no more then a few mins so people will actually do it!

And then act on the information!

Xx good luck

Hi,
Thanks for your feedback, its ok looking at website on my laptop, I know it will be displayed differently on a iPhone not sure that I can sort that.
I have actually just emailed a survey first thing this morning, it had 6 questions on it hopefully they will complete some of it lol!

thanks
x

Hi there,

Think your answer will be because the site's been made up with a mixture of scripts but mainly flash.

Apple have dropped flash support and any iphones, ipods and ipads won't now display flash content. :eek:

I'd ask your host for stats on the site to see if they list how your clients are looking at your site. If your host doesn't offer this, sign onto Google Analytics: Google Analytics | Official Website and follow their instructions. Give it a couple of weeks and you should get a list of what people are viewing it on a PC, a mac, an android phone etc. If you have a large percentage of your audience on mobile mac, then they won't be seeing your site correctly and you'll need to cater for this.

Otherwise, it might be worthwhile removing flash content if you already know that people are likely to view it with a mobile mac device?

Hope this helps - I see you used WebEden to create the site, did you customise one of their templates? Anyway, with a bit of fiddling, you can get the site looking pretty much exactly the way it does now without using flash by replacing it with javascript and css which will do the same thing but this will require some coding knowledge. You may need to get a quote to fix it :sad: or see if WebEden offer flash-free templates?

Hope this is useful..

Hi there,

Think your answer will be because the site's been made up with a mixture of scripts but mainly flash.

Apple have dropped flash support and any iphones, ipods and ipads won't now display flash content. :eek:

I'd ask your host for stats on the site to see if they list how your clients are looking at your site. If your host doesn't offer this, sign onto Google Analytics: Google Analytics | Official Website and follow their instructions. Give it a couple of weeks and you should get a list of what people are viewing it on a PC, a mac, an android phone etc. If you have a large percentage of your audience on mobile mac, then they won't be seeing your site correctly and you'll need to cater for this.

Otherwise, it might be worthwhile removing flash content if you already know that people are likely to view it with a mobile mac device?

Hope this helps - I see you used WebEden to create the site, did you customise one of their templates? Anyway, with a bit of fiddling, you can get the site looking pretty much exactly the way it does now without using flash by replacing it with javascript and css which will do the same thing but this will require some coding knowledge. You may need to get a quote to fix it :sad: or see if WebEden offer flash-free templates?

Hope this is useful..

Hi,

Thanks for all of that info, hmm someone did do website for me, but then passed over login info etc to me, the website was created through moonfruit. I have gone to the statistics part of the site but it doesnt show how people have viewed my site. Also I dont really know where I would go to remove the flash. I think ill have to get someone to do it as it seems really confusing.

T
x

Hi,

Thanks for all of that info, hmm someone did do website for me, but then passed over login info etc to me, the website was created through moonfruit. I have gone to the statistics part of the site but it doesnt show how people have viewed my site. Also I dont really know where I would go to remove the flash. I think ill have to get someone to do it as it seems really confusing.

T
x

That makes sense - webeden and moonfruit use the same sitemaker software and some of their widget libraries are shared.

Can I ask when the site was developed? If it was after the end of 2009, then your developer should have known this and discussed this with you / provided a workaround. Maybe you can ask them to help you out with this?

I've had a quick look at moonfruit and it's not going to be possible to use their service to remove the flash content - the only way to do this would be to pay a developer to rewrite the flash parts of it which is likely to cost @ £200 ish?

Another option is to use Weebly and re-do the site with them as they say they don't do flash. It looks like a nice, easy drag and drop way to create a site and you can use your own domain name (pinkbeauty-therapy) with them too and I know other people here have used them with good results. his would probably be the cheapest option but would involve some work on your part to fix this.

I'm ever so sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

I think your site is great! Really informative :)

I have just had a quick look and biased already as my fav colour is pink so it caught my eye straight away :)

I noticed a couple of things. You say on your home page that you are open to take appointments 7 days of the week but then on your contact page you say you are closed on Sunday.

Also, you say you offer individual lashes, but am assuming from your price that they are actually cluster lashes. Its just a personal hate of mine, as individual means individual as in £50-£85 a set.

Other than that, for my quick look around it seems clear, concise and easy to navigate. Good job hun. x

I have just had a quick look and biased already as my fav colour is pink so it caught my eye straight away :)

I noticed a couple of things. You say on your home page that you are open to take appointments 7 days of the week but then on your contact page you say you are closed on Sunday.

Also, you say you offer individual lashes, but am assuming from your price that they are actually cluster lashes. Its just a personal hate of mine, as individual means individual as in £50-£85 a set.

Other than that, for my quick look around it seems clear, concise and easy to navigate. Good job hun. x

Hi thanks for looking at my site and for your feedback, I have changed the wording so it now says cluster lashes. May have to re-word the first page, as even though im closed on Sunday people can still contact me to make a booking.

Thanks
T
x

Bit of a strange description...it's more like a keyword list...Welcome to Pink Beauty – A mobile beauty therapist that provides salon quality treatments in the comfort of either your home or mine. Areas we cover are: Leigh-on-Sea, Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea, Thorpe Bay, Rayleigh Hadleigh, Wickford, Basildon, Benfleet and Canvey Island. However, if you live further away coming to you can be discussed."/> <meta name="keywords" content="pink beauty essex, pinkbeauty, pink beauty in essex, pink beauty, Beauty therapist in Essex, Beauty therapist in Leigh on Sea, Mobile therapist in Leigh on Sea, Pampering packages, Beauty Therapy, Pink Beauty, Pink Beauty in Essex, Pink Beauty in Leigh on Sea, Beauty Therapy opening times, Waxing, Manicure, Pedicure, Make up, Bridal Make up in Essex, Pampering for Brides in Essex, Pampering for Mums to Be in Essex, Pampering holiday packages in Essex, Wedding Make up, Beauty Treatments in Essex, Mobile Beauty therapist in Essex, French polish pedicure, Bikini Waxing, Eyelash Tinting, Deluxe Facials, Facials

I would redo it - why aren't you paying professional hosting and hosting your own domain on it rather than at webden?
Just redo the whole site in HTML and you will do a lot better.

Home | Pink Beauty - when i look at the web source - this is always the title - the title is really important for SEO...also lots of scripting in the site - whole programming seems really messy an not needed

I checked it out in safari and think it is fab! Xxx

just checked it out and i think its fab! i have made a couple of suggestions below,

I have to say the most important thing is you logo and name, i find it hidden with all the floral borders going on. It needs to stand out as this is your branding before potential clients meet you.

For your facial page, i would change how you have Eve Taylor products described.
"Eve Taylor Aromatherapy Facial Products are a unique and affordable skin care range. They offer safe, effective solutions using perfectly blended essential oils to meet the daily needs of your skin. All their products are paraben free, they do not contain mineral oil, alcohol or artificial fragrances."
this is of course something i have just come up with and you may do as you please as it is your website :) but make them stand out to clients, they use essential oils, they are paraben free, they are affordable, these are things clients look for.

On your Shellac page where you have hand soak, cuticle tidy etc. i would take out the hand soak as your not supposed to be soaking the nails (hands) before or after shellac is applied.

For tinting/lashes, i would explain what tinting eyebrows and eyelashes do. i have recently realized that not many clients know what this service is. also for your cluster lashes i would also put a little explanation about them maybe what brand you use and how they work, since cluster lashes are not meant to be on longer then a week. that way clients wont get confused as some could :)

In your waxing section, perhaps you should explain the difference between hot and warm wax as clients usually don't know this and you could potentially get more clients when you explain hot wax doesn't hurt like warm wax in sensitive areas. also i don't see a full leg wax only a 3/4 leg wax? this might be a bit confusing for clients as well. not saying they are stupid or anything just out of my experience and feedback from clients on my end :)

Your special offers page, you should have at the end of your specials(s) a call out. something like "Don't miss out! Book yours now! call john smith 0000000" or "Limited time only! Book yours Today!" things like this are a way of getting the client to take action without any effort.

i hope you don't find that i have been to forward with any of the above things i've mentioned. i think your site is fab! just little things could be changed :) i wish you luck!

In the 'girly pamper' tab the sentence 'for you your friends' doesn't make sense, you need 'for you & your friends' xx

Bit of a strange description...it's more like a keyword list...Welcome to Pink Beauty – A mobile beauty therapist that provides salon quality treatments in the comfort of either your home or mine. Areas we cover are: Leigh-on-Sea, Westcliff-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea, Thorpe Bay, Rayleigh Hadleigh, Wickford, Basildon, Benfleet and Canvey Island. However, if you live further away coming to you can be discussed."/> <meta name="keywords" content="pink beauty essex, pinkbeauty, pink beauty in essex, pink beauty, Beauty therapist in Essex, Beauty therapist in Leigh on Sea, Mobile therapist in Leigh on Sea, Pampering packages, Beauty Therapy, Pink Beauty, Pink Beauty in Essex, Pink Beauty in Leigh on Sea, Beauty Therapy opening times, Waxing, Manicure, Pedicure, Make up, Bridal Make up in Essex, Pampering for Brides in Essex, Pampering for Mums to Be in Essex, Pampering holiday packages in Essex, Wedding Make up, Beauty Treatments in Essex, Mobile Beauty therapist in Essex, French polish pedicure, Bikini Waxing, Eyelash Tinting, Deluxe Facials, Facials

I would redo it - why aren't you paying professional hosting and hosting your own domain on it rather than at webden?
Just redo the whole site in HTML and you will do a lot better.

Hi,
Just wondering how you are able to see all these key words and meta tags? as they are hidden when I view it and cant see any of those keywords on my website when im looking at it on my laptop so bit confused I cant afford to do the site in HTML unless you know of sites where you can create a site for free? plus how will I keep my web name and get rid of the one I currently have and replace it?

Thanks

just checked it out and i think its fab! i have made a couple of suggestions below,

I have to say the most important thing is you logo and name, i find it hidden with all the floral borders going on. It needs to stand out as this is your branding before potential clients meet you.

For your facial page, i would change how you have Eve Taylor products described.
"Eve Taylor Aromatherapy Facial Products are a unique and affordable skin care range. They offer safe, effective solutions using perfectly blended essential oils to meet the daily needs of your skin. All their products are paraben free, they do not contain mineral oil, alcohol or artificial fragrances."
this is of course something i have just come up with and you may do as you please as it is your website :) but make them stand out to clients, they use essential oils, they are paraben free, they are affordable, these are things clients look for.

On your Shellac page where you have hand soak, cuticle tidy etc. i would take out the hand soak as your not supposed to be soaking the nails (hands) before or after shellac is applied.

For tinting/lashes, i would explain what tinting eyebrows and eyelashes do. i have recently realized that not many clients know what this service is. also for your cluster lashes i would also put a little explanation about them maybe what brand you use and how they work, since cluster lashes are not meant to be on longer then a week. that way clients wont get confused as some could :)

In your waxing section, perhaps you should explain the difference between hot and warm wax as clients usually don't know this and you could potentially get more clients when you explain hot wax doesn't hurt like warm wax in sensitive areas. also i don't see a full leg wax only a 3/4 leg wax? this might be a bit confusing for clients as well. not saying they are stupid or anything just out of my experience and feedback from clients on my end :)

Your special offers page, you should have at the end of your specials(s) a call out. something like "Don't miss out! Book yours now! call john smith 0000000" or "Limited time only! Book yours Today!" things like this are a way of getting the client to take action without any effort.

i hope you don't find that i have been to forward with any of the above things i've mentioned. i think your site is fab! just little things could be changed :) i wish you luck!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all this information. Really kind of you. If its ok ill use the paragraph that describes the facials as its really good. I will also look at amending the other bits that you have brought up.
Thanks again T x

In the 'girly pamper' tab the sentence 'for you your friends' doesn't make sense, you need 'for you & your friends' xx

Hi
Thanks yes that does sound odd ill change that. T xx

Hi,
Just wondering how you are able to see all these key words and meta tags? as they are hidden when I view it and cant see any of those keywords on my website when im looking at it on my laptop so bit confused I cant afford to do the site in HTML unless you know of sites where you can create a site for free? plus how will I keep my web name and get rid of the one I currently have and replace it?

Thanks

Coding can be seen by going to your View menu - and looking at Source code or similar. Sorry I don't know what it is on a Internet Explorer browser, but that's where it is on Safari.
In Firefox it's under View menu and Page Source.
Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thanks

Hi there,

You can see your site's code using the methods mentioned before. However, I wouldn't get too tied up in wondering what your keywords are, they don't make any difference to Google ranking (google have stopped ranking sites on meta-tags keywords).

Your site looks really good - if you're happy with it and you're confident that it won't be viewed by lots of mobile mac devices then it's fine as it is.

If you want to look into changing it to html, then Moonfruit's website does state that they can publish in html, so maybe the first step might be to contact their support department and ask for advice? Moonfruit - Contact Us

They may help you, but if not then you may need to re-do the site with another company - lots of places offer free website builders so this shouldn't be too hard and you've already got the wording almost perfect now so most of the hard work is done anyway.

To be honest, talk of meta-tag keywords is not really that helpful as there are so many other things that can be done first to help rankings etc. This is more of a techie "fine-tuning" thing - don't let it distract you from your core business!

As for moving your website name, take it one step at a time and if you decide to move to a different company, we can talk you through it when you decide to do it.

Good luck with everything - I realise we're all offering you different advice and it can be a bit overwhelming but try not to get too bogged down in details. Remember, contact techie helpdesks wherever possible - it's their job to sort out your technical stuff for you!

Hi,

Thanks
In firefox i just go to Web Developer>View Page Source
You can view the code source of most wep pages in any browser.
I create web sites all day long.
Your web name should belong to you - you can buy them from 123-reg.co.uk - cost £7.13 including vat for 2 years...then you simply host it with someone - this is more expensive - but you can usually get it for around £30/year..as i do it professionally it doesn't cost me anything extra to host as i pay for all my websites on a monthly basis for unlimited web hosting. Basically you should in theory own your domian name

how will I keep my web name and get rid of the one I currently have and replace it?

if you own it you should be able to go into the domain information and change some things around like IPS TAG and IP addresses of where your host is. If you don't own the domain then you have a bit of a problem IMHO.

I would be careful what some people say of your website of what it loks like on the surface - the most important things are generally titles of web pages - names of web pages - content of web pages - i.e. unique content and on target...because obviously you will want to get high in the search engines for your site - no visitors = a dead website.

Latest posts

Back