Please Help - Nightmare Male Back Wax!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muppet772

Reaction score
I am after some help! I am going to be waxing my friend's husbands back this weekend and as lovely as he is....he is a nightmare. I waxed him last summer before his holidays and been trying to encourage him to get it done regularly as this would help, but he only wants it done when goes on holiday. I don't charge him as it is my best friend's husband.

I have never seen so much hair ever and he told me he was born with a hairy back...so there was 32 years of growth. There was so much hair that in parts of the back you could not see the skin. He basically just screamed and shouted the whole way through which I am so not looking forward to plus it puts me on edge.

Last time I did the usual and trimmed/clippered it as it was too long, used warm wax with a spatula. Pre and after wax and normal advice. I am planning on going on the Kim Lawless male speed waxing but as waxing him this weekend I need some geek advice. These are a few thoughts I had that may help me;

• Buying the roller wax kit & cartridges to make application quicker
  • Get him to take some pain killers prior to the waxing as this may help his pain threshold

Any advice/help will be greatly received. Thank you.

Oh no poor you :( I make my bf come in regularly so it's reducing the growth!

He could take 2 ibruprofen half hour before, have heard it helps but never tried it before.

With the roller wax, I really wouldn't, A, it doesn't make any difference to the pain factor and B, the roller can drag the hairs which could hurt a lot more.

I'd just do it the normal way, if he screams well remind him if he'd had a few sessions between now and last time he would barely feel it!

Xx

I only ever use roller wax on backs legs and arms.

It only drags if it is too cold or cooling.

It is so so much quicker, it delivers the correct amount of wax at the correct temperature.

I put the wax on the whole of one side and remove then the other side. I ask the client to sit on the side of the couch while I do the shoulders.

Jacqui xx

If the hair is particularly strong I find the spatula method is actually much better then a roller.

Some guys are just wimps and a bit of a nightmare. I clipper long hair down to a grade 2 (6mm) myself. Try using a pre-wax oil before you apply the wax ... this really does make a difference to the waxing.

Mat

I have a client like that! You seriously cannot see his back at all and it continues all over his shoulders and down his arms-you can't see any skin. The first time I saw him it took me an hour to wax him and I had to stand in front of the fan for ages after!
. Unfortunately he doesn't come every 4 weeks, so every time I wax him it's like starting again! It takes me about 40 mins still but he does have his shoulders and half his arms done too so I can sympathise with you!
I personally prefer to use cream wax for backs.
It's easier to work in sections. I use hot wax as well and I do a line of hot wax strips right down the middle of the back and 2 strips of hot wax along the base of the back. This will leave 2 clear sections to work on. Work up to the shoulders and then do the shoulders with the client sitting on the edge of the couch.
Just work methodically and quickly and get a few extra wax strips out!

personally i think hes just bein a wimp, remind him a. women have this done all the time. b. your geting this done for free and it usually costs this much. and c. that if he had it done more regular it would be better would take less time and wouldnt grow back as much. if he complains even more id do half a back n say right im not doin it anymore (only if it was a friend or friends bf tho) and i always use roller wax the trick is like said before that you have to put the wax back and use another cartridge when it begins to feel thick or drag, i would never go back to spatula

Do you have an audience? You may find that if it's just the two of you in the room he is a bit more composed?

Maybe you could say to him that you have never had anyone else react that way (i.e. he's being a bit over dramatic)!

Get him to take a deep breath in and then breathe out slowly as you remove the strip.

Do you do hot wax, it would take longer but would be less painful for him, if not and he is just as bad this time I'd suggest he goes to a salon. It's only going to shatter your nerves and confidence to have him making such a fuss each time you do it.

X

Oh hun men are absolute wimps! I am sure you are a great waxer, don't let his complaining get to you! Good luck. Rhiannon x

No1. Agree with Mat. Cleanse, oil on, then parallel rip and Pressure! Don't pat the skin like you are drying a lettuce leaf - oil up your gloves (/hands) and put firm pressure on immediately after your fastest rip with your angriest elbow for 2 seconds for every strip. Think of it like whipping the tablecloth out from under the crockery.

Real men prefer you to also use a cold wet flannel after each rip - but that's quite a feat if you have to stretch skin too. Practice makes perfect. Beg the guy that you can practice on him every month to improve the services to all men worldwide! :) It's his duty to come and see you regularly.

It's far from helpful to tell chaps that "women get waxed badly - so you'll have to put up with it" Sheesh - anyone ever hear the phrase "repeat business"? Strive to improve your technique!

Non-strip with supreme hirsuite back? pfaff - sorry it's a non starter. Stretch the skin, apply with a Clean spat loaded with enough stock in a positive manner, stretch rip and push. Or spend 2 hours with £20 worth of stock to earn nothing. If the hair is monster long (over 25 mm) then Gr3/4 clippers will help - except you'll be using your dustbuster for ages afterwards

All my new customers tell me is far from as uncomfortable as they thought it would be - do yours? I can feel a backwax master-class coming on! :)

There's free tuorials on my site; *

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have not used hot wax ever and it is on my list to get trained using it.

It is interesting that some people say use the roller and system and othersa say no.

I have got the PR waxing bits and pieces included jasmine oil, moisturising milk. If going down the PR warm wax route I will use cristal ocean. Do you think that is the best PR wax for men?

I have seen they do a male hot wax and roller cartridges with male specific waxes.

Am still confused over the need to invest in the PR roller system. Thanks

I only use Cristal Ocean wax , my main reason for choosing this one was because its hypoallergenic and I did also try the Green Tea wax, but much prefer the CO. I only wax men and it works really well for me , it spreads thinly and IMO its a a really good wax.

I also do have the PR roller system here and I use it for certain areas like arms and legs but only for clients with short or fine hairs as its not a very comfortable method if the hair is a bit longer( I have experienced it for my own waxing and did not like it). If I have a client thats booked in for a full body wax I have the roller system heated ready to go and use it where I can but on a daily basis its pot and spatula for most of my clients. I prefer this method for speed waxing but its all down to what you prefer to work with yourself.

My clients come in all shapes and sizes and some have a few whiskers and some are real hairy monsters and it does not really take that much longer.. with my new clients I block out the maximum time for their first appointment so that I can do consultation treatment and aftercare with no pressure and there will be enough time to trim excess hair if necessary.

You will enjoy the training and hot wax is the only way to go for male intimate waxing treatments... definetly no rollers there ( My first Brazilian wax in London as a client was done with a roller....ooch!!).. So its hot wax all the way.. I use two hot waxes from PR - Euroblonde which is their signature and most popular wax and also Pure their hypoallergenic one. I use the Pure for clients with sensitive skin.

Once you do your training , if you could get a trip to London PR run regular discovery days so you can see and try out the whole range. Its a great way to get a feel for the products before you buy..

Good luck for now

Jack

Thank you for everyone's reply's and tips. I invested in the PR range and found it so much better the wax to apply.

He is still a nightmare and screamed from start to finsih!!

I applied lots of pressure but it is interesting that like last time I waxed him that his back always looks very 'angry'. All I can describe it is that he has been near a bee hive. I put it down to the amount of hair he has and removal of it leaving the follicles open. Lots of PR after wax applied and after care given.

Does anyone else have some clients where their backs go like that?

Just wondering if it could be a histamine reaction? My legs come up all red and angry after a wax and as soon as I take an anti allergy/anti histamine tablet they're fine.

Latest posts

Back