Please look and help gels gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gelsbyabbie

Reaction score
Hi all,

Desperately need help, I use all OPI gel nails products even opi gel lamp, ive done my course and I went to a paying customer and did a set, the same night she text me saying its flaking and chipped away, she didnt put her hands in water and now she text me saying that more has come off.. please look at direct where i could be going wrong! :irked:

Attachments

• nails.jpg
    nails.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 888
I don't use OPI so am unsure of each step of application but it would be useful if you listed step by step what you did. Hopefully someone who is OPI trained can then point you in right direction

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't use opi either. Were they helped off?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I dont use OPI but if you look at her thumb nail you can see her nail has delaminated underneath where the gel has come off! What condition were her nails in when you applied? You need to remove any nail which is peeling and delaminating when doing your prep :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It looks like all nails are breaking down at the free edge.
She's either done something to cause it or you have not prepped right up to and including the free edge or you have not capped and cured the free edge.

Normally with ALL gel pushes, if there are problems like this shown, it's usually because they haven't been capped fully.

Not saying you didn't, but before going in the lamp just double check they are still capped as the polish shrinks back if you take your time.

Recap edges before going into the lamp. Hope this helps. Keep at it, do t let it get to you. You WILL get there. X

Oops, polishes not pushes!

Normally with ALL gel pushes, if there are problems like this shown, it's usually because they haven't been capped fully.

Not saying you didn't, but before going in the lamp just double check they are still capped as the polish shrinks back if you take your time.

Recap edges before going into the lamp. Hope this helps. Keep at it, do t let it get to you. You WILL get there. X

i doubt i did cap them enough! been getting me down all day going back to redo them tonight really nervous! but this helps ill make sure i recap them again before the light!! :biggrin:

It looks like all nails are breaking down at the free edge.
She's either done something to cause it or you have not prepped right up to and including the free edge or you have not capped and cured the free edge.

thank you for your help! ill put more into the capping part for sure

It looks like maybe the nail prep wasn't done properly, and to me it looks like the free edge wasn't capped. When I first started with gel polish I didn't understand to what extent prepping and capping the free edge was. It's okay! Don't give up! Takes A LOT of practice. No one ever had perfect results on the beginning.

brilliant thank you everyone for your help :Love:

As Helen and willow rose have said this is delamination - you can clearly see where the thumb nail itself has peeled and so as the nail has flaked so it's taken the colour with it. You should very gently buff off any areas of flaking prior to prep and product application. X

also

if her nails are thin what could i do to help that? could i apply two base coats? and i used OPI base, but if was ever to use another brand like gellux as the base coat could i?

thanks everyone feel better already

Basecoat could have been too thick. This can cause chipping also xx

also

if her nails are thin what could i do to help that? could i apply two base coats? and i used OPI base, but if was ever to use another brand like gellux as the base coat could i?

thanks everyone feel better already

My personal advice wouldn't be to apply two base coats, only one... Although, I will give you some positive criticism, I do find the colour looks a little too translucent. I don't recommend doing thick coats of any colour, although sometimes thin coats is too thin, you don't want to see through the nail. I'd recommend on this colour case in specific, doing 3 thin coats of colour instead of two thick or two thin which look translucent. A paying client doesn't wanna see their nail bed through the colour, I can get that effect with a lower end brand of regular nail polish.

Very positive, don't take it the wrong way! Your doing awesome! The more advice you can get, the better would be hun!

My personal advice wouldn't be to apply two base coats, only one... Although, I will give you some positive criticism, I do find the colour looks a little too translucent. I don't recommend doing thick coats of any colour, although sometimes thin coats is too thin, you don't want to see through the nail. I'd recommend on this colour case in specific, doing 3 thin coats of colour instead of two thick or two thin which look translucent. A paying client doesn't wanna see their nail bed through the colour, I can get that effect with a lower end brand of regular nail polish.

Very positive, don't take it the wrong way! Your doing awesome! The more advice you can get, the better would be hun!

****! I also forgot to mention telling her to use a high quality cuticle oil daily. Although every single person should use cuticle oil, someone with thin, brittle nail in particular should use it. Not only will it make her nails stronger, healthier and more beautiful from the cuticle oils hydration and nourishment, it'll make any manicure last longer and prolong the 'just manicured' look.

****! I also forgot to mention telling her to use a high quality cuticle oil daily. Although every single person should use cuticle oil, someone with thin, brittle nail in particular should use it. Not only will it make her nails stronger, healthier and more beautiful from the cuticle oils hydration and nourishment, it'll make any manicure last longer and prolong the 'just manicured' look.

Lol, funny that it bleeped out the word sh*t 💩

I know people are recommending to buff the delaminated nail BUT I called the cnd ambassador n I was told not to do that as I am thinning the nail plate even more. N shellac needs a healthy nail.
There is a very helpful video by fingernail fixer to seal short nails n I'll also do trouble shooting delaminated nails.

The cnd ambassador suggested instead to use solar oil... I know right! Solar oil! Apply for 2 mins then Buff lightly with a boyfriend buffer n clean very good then apply base coat. I know it's agains what we learn but that's what i was told.

Latest posts

Back