Point cutting after a curly blow dry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllanJudge

Reaction score
This might seem like an obvious question but when you do a long graduation on a client and she wants a curly blow dry, but you've club cut the layers and know you need to texturise it when it's been blown, how do you do it?

The last place I had any trainings response to this question was 'I just wouldn't do it' (meaning a curly blow).

So when I do the odd head of hair, cause as i've mentioned a few times i'm not actually 'employed' as a Hairdresser at the moment, I just do the odd family member and friends, I have to blow the hair quite straight so ai can easily see where I need to point cut.

What do you lot do?

Blow it out straight or point cut as you go when wet.to have a curly outcome. Curly hair is forgiving and as long as a good arm equaling check when wet is in place you'll be fine to style it curly....I have curly hair.

You can either:

Point cut it when wet.

Or you can explain to the client that the haircut must be personalised afterwards to ensure a finished look, however you can curl it afterwards.

Most of the time I don't personalise because i never need to, i like the strength you get from club cutting.

I always wondered what other people do, but i often point cut when wet depending on the hair, if its really thick hair ill probably blow dry it straight then curl it after

I usually flat wrap the hair so it isn't really styled and then texturise and do my blow dry.

Drying it with a flat brush like a denman or a paddle brush

Ooh! I see!! Never knew it actually had a name!!

Thanks for all the feed back.

The thing that puts me off flat wrapping it first (I assume you mean you flat wrap it till it's so much% dry?) is that the wet and dry hair have different elasticity. That's what I heard on some video, but I suppose it doesn't really matter when you're point cutting.

I think I might start actually doing a whole long graduation with point cutting as opposed to club cutting.

That's how I do it, I'd be pissed off if I had to ruin my curly blowdry lol

Thanks for all the feed back.

The thing that puts me off flat wrapping it first (I assume you mean you flat wrap it till it's so much% dry?) is that the wet and dry hair have different elasticity. That's what I heard on some video, but I suppose it doesn't really matter when you're point cutting.

I think I might start actually doing a whole long graduation with point cutting as opposed to club cutting.
I dry the hair till it's about 70-80% dry and then go in with either a Denman brush or paddle brush and flat wrap it. It leaves the hair laying at natural fall and smoothes it out at the same time so it won't be an issue with clients with curly hair that are wanting curly blow dries. Keep brushing the hair back and forth till its dry and smooth then go in the point cut. I was trained to do this opposed to doing a whole haircut point cutting. Club cutting the hair first always gives you a better haircut and it makes it look "stronge" I mean when I see people doing deep point cuts especially for the whole haircut it usually will look good either way as it way more forgiving than club cutting. I do all my haircuts wet and I club cut the whole way even if they ask for texture, I do all of that when I personalise after the hair is flat wrapped. I also barely use thinners. Soz for rambling :)

Latest posts

Back