Polish going soft?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs

Reaction score
I have a client that gets dirty looking polish and it happens whether he has polish or airbrushing.
He says when his hands get hot the polish goes tacky and then they go discoloured. I`ve never come across this before and i wondered if anyone can shed some light?
I also cannot understand how a polish can go tacky after its dried.
He definitely comes back to me with dirty looking nails which I had airbrushed and the last salon he went to never did airbrushing and they used jessica polishes so for it to happen on both instances is a puzzle to me

LOL what does he wash his hands with ????? What is his job ????? Blimey does he have a fever ??? I have never seen this happen, well ok only a few times but then it was down to insect repellent in suntan lotion............ must be something he is using at home, as body temperatur has to be flippin high to melt enamel.....or is the top coat a gel type top coat say like Faze 2 that can only be applied after full enamel curing time ???? But then again this wouldn't effect Airbrushing as it is not an enamel........ this has me puzzzled babe xxx

I want to bump this back up to see if anyone has had any thoughts on it.
If not, maybe its a Dougie question, lol
I experienced the topcoat being tacky first hand last time he came to me and I have to say I am completely baffled.
It really does go tacky when his hands get hot and this was a week after them being originally done so if it goes tacky each time he gets hot he doesnt stand a chance at keeping his nails looking nice which is a shame so we do neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed an answer/
It happens to him after polish and topcoat and now after airbrushing. He has also said he doesn`t use cheap polishes either as he doesn`t like the smell so its always top quality product.
There must be a reason for it and someone must know the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm subscribing to this thread Debs as I'm curious.

I know you're not really after a solution, but a reason it hapens in the first place, but have you tried Thermoshield? Nothing seems to shift that.

It's nice to know that there at least one man out there having a hot flush. xxx

Hmmm, this is an interesting one....

Once a top coat has fully cured body temperature is not going to affect it... My theory would be some form of solvent that is absorbing into it and making the tackyness, this would effectively be the polymer chains weakening and dissolving... If it's only happening to one client I would look at what products he uses, what's his job etc etc.. find out what is potentially causing the problem.

One option would be use a non porous top coat - UV Gel or the likes..
(or as Kimmi said, try thermoshield?!)

HTH

could it be a hair product that he uses? I only suggest this because of something that happened to me last week. I wanted a spray tan but noticed that the french manicure on my toes was growing out; rushing round the house for something to cover it quick I grabbed my son's hair wax. Anyway, by the following day it had softened the polish so that you could scrape it off. This was polish that was well set, had been in place for at least 2 weeks.

marijane

Kim, I DO want a solution.
This is really puzzling and I don`t see how it can be anything he may or may not be using because he was sat at my nail station when they went tacky and then hard again.
If I hadn`t seen this for myself I could have said it must be some chemical he uses for it to happen but for it to just happen for no reason It really is strange.
I think this must be a dougie questions so please anyone, can you ask him?

Hi Guys,
I have forwared this thread to Doug, maybe he can shed some light into this......
will be interesting to find out why this is happening .....

I'm curious about this too now!!! Fascinating that the polish has gone tacky then back to normal...and intrigued that a bloke not only has polish but airbrushed nails too! What does he do??? Is he a Goth?

Hi guys,
I forwarded this thread to Doug and he has kindly replied with this.........
Hi Ruth,
You're all getting so smart, you don't even need me <BG>. I agree with the explanations that were given. Something is soaking into the nail polish after it has dried. Household cleaners, suntan lotions, etc., many things can cause this to occur. Basically it's absorbing into the coating and re-softening the surface.
A more impervious topcoat is probably the best solution, as well is wearing gloves to prevent the polish from being exposed to other products and substances.
Hope that helps,
Doug

So I have had another thought. maybe apply a thin layer of resin or gel......... just to base the nail then apply the polish......... this way you can exclude the from the nail to the top coat contamination so to speak.......So if the polish doesn't go sticky after basing the nail, we can conclude it is something on the nailplate ...............if it is still tacky even after basing the nail, it has to be outside/external factors...........like i.e. hair gel, when the nails are dry does he run his hands through his hair ????? Face creams? Does he touch his face a lot ??? Just trying to see if there is a possible connection xxx

I can go along with all these suggestions and did ask him if he used chemicals or other products without gloves but I have to rule that out because je was sat at my nail station and while I was working on one hand the other started getting tacky. He wasn`t doing anything, not even moving, but his nails were tacky and while I was feeling for myself they stopped being tacky fairly quickly too.
Obviously my first thought had to be something penetrating and melting the polish but with what actually happened in front of my own eyes this is NOT whats doing it, I`d hate this to be another unsolved mystery. There really should be an answer for it shouldn`t there?

By the way Madaboutnails, My man isn`t a goth, he just loves to have loooong nail enhancements with airbrush designs on them!

I forgot to say Ruth, he has enhancements so basing the nail isn`t really an option.
I am totally at a loss with it.
This week I covered his airbrushing with Out the door to see if that made a difference because I wondered if there was a topcoat that maybe wouldn`t be temperamental. At this stage I`ll try anything cos its not nice having lovely nails that go dirty looking cos the topcoat keeps going soft

This is really strange then babe,
there is no no nail plate contact, so there is nothing that nature could be the cause off......has he got sweaty palms ????? I am grasping at straws here......
This has to be external......something is softening the enamel and messing about with the curing process, so something is happening somewhere......
Try Thermashield as suggested before..if this doesn't work... The only other sulution would be using a coloured gel overlay as an enamel colouring.......
let us know what happens babe xxxx
Speak soon xxxx

Hi Debs...

Your man sounds way cool to me. I was assisting a beauty therapist friend of mine at her salon and we had a similar problem with a french polish. Sometimes it was hours before it went weird, sometimes it happened and she was still in the salon. She applied new polish, tried different brand of polish/topcoat etc, squeeked nails with scrubfresh, acetone, tried different combinations. It was frustrating...I don't think she ever got to the bottom of this.

I do hope you find out the cause for your client....it's so annoying and frustrating when you are trying all sorts to find a solution to it. Goodluck.

xx

Latest posts

Back