Polishing Practice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
Geeks - I need help!

I've read a few posts recently around favourite treatments, polishing techniques etc and it has helped to bring to a head the fact that my polishing is not as it should be and it's driving me mad!

Preparation I am meticulous over, I use good products, as they should be used and do each and every step thoroughly each and every time. But when it comes to actually applying the polish I get sloppy, and believe me it isn't for the want of trying.

So, my question on the back of that waffle is, does anyone know of any courses or workshops that are purely for concentrating on polishing techniques? I fear as much practice as I do, if the technique isn't there then it's wasted.

Any help or advice greatly received!

Geeks - I need help!

I've read a few posts recently around favourite treatments, polishing techniques etc and it has helped to bring to a head the fact that my polishing is not as it should be and it's driving me mad!

Preparation I am meticulous over, I use good products, as they should be used and do each and every step thoroughly each and every time. But when it comes to actually applying the polish I get sloppy, and believe me it isn't for the want of trying.

So, my question on the back of that waffle is, does anyone know of any courses or workshops that are purely for concentrating on polishing techniques? I fear as much practice as I do, if the technique isn't there then it's wasted.

Any help or advice greatly received!

I am going to be running such a class in Leeds between Oct 22nd and November 6th. For information just ring Debbie on 0113 217-3801 at Sweet Squared who is organising it. Maybe see you there.

If anyone else wants further information re this class just do the same and ring Debs.

Last edited:
You don't need a course to learn to polish properly.

You need to practice. PRACTICE! It took me doing 8 pedicures a day, 5 days a week, for 3 months to become a 10/10 polisher. That's 4,800 toes painted to become amazing.

Now get off SalonGeek and go paint some tips :green:

:hug:

Geeks, as ever, I thank you for taking the time out to reply.

Geeg - Leeds is merely an 90 minutes away so I shall be on the phone quick smart in the morning!

Deanosnana - Thank you for the link, I shall consider it my homework in preparation for the Leeds Tuition!

Eskimo - Ha! I now have visions rows and rows of toes wiggling at me! Thank you so much, I consider myself chastised and will be off with polish in hand whilst watching the tutorial!! :lol:

A class is invaluable to take as you are shown the techniques that you can hardly practise if you are not aware of them! :lol:

After the class you can practise perfectly until it all becomes second nature and it is a much easier and faster learning curve when you take a class. It simply is not good advice to say that a class is not helpful or useful and that you don't need it.

Maybe none of us needs a class in anything .. we can just stumble around practising on our clients for months when you could learn lots of things in one day that will make your learning experience much easier and you a better technician.

It is never practice alone that makes perfect .. it is perfect practice that makes perfect.

Last edited:
A class is invaluable to take as you are shown the techniques that you can hardly practise if you are not aware of them! :lol:

After the class you can practise perfectly until it all becomes second nature and it is a much easier and faster learning curve when you take a class. It simply is not good advice to say that classes are not helpful or useful and that you don't need it.

Maybe none of us needs a class in anything .. we can just stumble around practising on our clients for months when you could learn lots of things in one day that will make your learning experience much easier and you a better technician.

It is never practice alone that makes perfect .. it is perfect practice that makes perfect.

Good point, not everyone learns the techniques in their first manicure class, like moi. I guess I'm a lucky gal. :green:

Actually, I think most creative people (like we nail technicians) are more than capable of learing the really quite simple techniques of perfect polishing from the get go, when they have an excellent teacher to show them and make it fun and inspiring. Not convinced that luck has much to do with it. :) I don't think it will take 3 months and thousands of nails before they 'get it', once they have been shown properly.

Last edited:
Actually, I think most creative people (like we nail technicians) are more than capable of learing the really quite simple techniques of perfect polishing from the get go, when they have an excellent teacher to show them and make it fun and inspiring. Not convinced that luck has much to do with it. :) I don't think it will take 3 months and thousands of nail before they 'get it', once they have been shown properly.
I'm really considering giving this course a go, my polishing has improved 100% since I stopped using polish & only use Shellac simply because I couldn't give it a clean up at the end like I used to do with polish but like you say there could be better ways of doing it than what I already am doing.

I do tend to find that with some clients all is going good UNTIL I d-sperse and the sidewalls have been missed with base coat - if I learn a good technique this would sort this out and i'd be able to polish a clear and actually get it right EVERY time? :)

I'm really considering giving this course a go, my polishing has improved 100% since I stopped using polish & only use Shellac simply because I couldn't give it a clean up at the end like I used to do with polish but like you say there could be better ways of doing it than what I already am doing.

I do tend to find that with some clients all is going good UNTIL I d-sperse and the sidewalls have been missed with base coat - if I learn a good technique this would sort this out and i'd be able to polish a clear and actually get it right EVERY time? :)

You are more than welcome and only just down the road!! :green: If you think it will help you to have a day with me and a few others, then give Debbie a call.

Geeg is it only in Leeds you are doing this course? can you not venture to Essex too! I would love to do this course with you, but alas Leeds is too far to drive!

Oh my !!!!! Think I will be on the phone to Debbie first thing in the morning, although I'm about 100 miles away :green: will you be running any other classes whilst there Gigi ?? :hug:

Oh my !!!!! Think I will be on the phone to Debbie first thing in the morning, although I'm about 100 miles away :green: will you be running any other classes whilst there Gigi ?? :hug:

I will be doing 121's. Anything you would like to do ... L&P techniques or any Gel techniques or troubleshooting .. Shellac etc. It would be lovely to see you.

Geeg is it only in Leeds you are doing this course? can you not venture to Essex too! I would love to do this course with you, but alas Leeds is too far to drive!

This trip, I will only be in Leeds ... I have another job to do that keeps me close to home ... I am looking after my grandson while Mr & Mrs geek go to the USA to a conference. :hug: Another time I hope.

Last edited:
This trip, I will only be in Leeds ... I have another job to do that keeps me close to home ... I am looking after my grandson while Mr & Mr4s geek go to the USA to a conference. :hug: Another time I hope.[/QUOTE]

I HOPE SO TOO! PLEASE ARRANGE THIS!!!:biggrin: xx

I hope you have a wonderful time looking after your grandson, they grow up so fast, you must treasure the younger years.

:green::green::green: I am a very happy bunny now....Babysitter (my mom) pending, I'll be there !!! xx

Actually, I think most creative people (like we nail technicians) are more than capable of learing the really quite simple techniques of perfect polishing from the get go, when they have an excellent teacher to show them and make it fun and inspiring. Not convinced that luck has much to do with it. :) I don't think it will take 3 months and thousands of nails before they 'get it', once they have been shown properly.

Actually, I was talking about being lucky I had such an amazing manicuring teacher when I began in this industry. And my thousands of toes were being able to perfectly polish at the end of a pedi in under 6 minutes without going back to clean anything up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking after my grandson while Mr & Mrs geek go to the USA to a conference.

Plenty of time for you to work on "the trousers at half mast" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of time for you to work on "the trousers at half mast" :)
Lol. This is a younger one .. His pants are not 'on the ground'. Lol. I have 8 grandchildren if you can believe that ... I find it hard to believe myself. :eek:

I would love to go on a polish course. I am a long way from Leeds but would make the journey if it was the right days that I could take off work. Dont suppose your doing any weekends with this course between those dates? If not do you know if any more of these courses are coming up in the future in London or Kent.

Latest posts

Back