Polka dots using Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydays

Reaction score
I have just done my 1st attempt at poka dot nails using hot pop pink with cream puff dots. When i cured the cream puff dots they came out wrinkled. I know this means i used too much product but i was just wondering if this is normal when doing poka dots. I was just practicing on my display wheel so i did 2 layers of hot pop pink then the cream puff dots using a dotting tool then top coat.

Has anyone had the same problem and is there anyway around it? If i use less product i don't think the dots will be as prominent.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have found this can happen with Cream Puff too, and you're right it is because you've applied it too thickly.

I find the best way round it is to put a blob of Cream Puff onto your tile and then use a dotting tool to spread it out a bit, clean your dotting tool off and then apply the dots. This will ensure that your tool isn't picking up excess but you should still get good coverage. Also always clean your dotting tool after every dot is applied.

Hope that helps!

Thanks ill will do this today. I wasn't cleaning the dotting tool after each dot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

If you apply your dots onto the Shellac when it's still wet, you only need a very small amount of white. It will spread out to create the perfect shape.

HTHs :)

If you apply your dots onto the Shellac when it's still wet, you only need a very small amount of white. It will spread out to create the perfect shape.

HTHs :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh AnGel!!! It's when my lightbulb goes PING! Then all the logic clicks into place in my brain!
Thank you so much for this. I shall give it a go. xoxoxo mona

Angel,
So do you apply the white dots before curing the colour layer?
Or when you say wet do you mean after topcoat but before disperse?
Thanks
Sharon

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh AnGel!!! It's when my lightbulb goes PING! Then all the logic clicks into place in my brain!
Thank you so much for this. I shall give it a go. xoxoxo mona

Mona, you're hilarious!! :lol:

Angel,
So do you apply the white dots before curing the colour layer?
Or when you say wet do you mean after topcoat but before disperse?
Thanks
Sharon

OK so the way to do it is... base coat cure 10 seconds. colour coat cure for 2 minutes... 2nd coat of colour.. don't cure... apply your dots straight onto the wet uncured Shellac using a dotting tool and when you're happy with them, then cure for 2 minutes... apply top coat and cure for 2 mins.

Happy dotting geeks! :)

Mona, you're hilarious!! :lol:

OK so the way to do it is... base coat cure 10 seconds. colour coat cure for 2 minutes... 2nd coat of colour.. don't cure... apply your dots straight onto the wet uncured Shellac using a dotting tool and when you're happy with them, then cure for 2 minutes... apply top coat and cure for 2 mins.

Happy dotting geeks! :)

And if any of you have seen pics of an*gel dotty shellac youll see how blinking perfect they are!

Thanks for the tip lovely lady :) x x x

Latest posts

Back