Possible reaction to tint. Thoughts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJo1980

Reaction score
Hello Geekers.
I have a client who has been having Joico extra coverage 5NG+ and 6% scalp tint every 4 weeks for donkeys years.
Over the past few months she has been showing small signs of reacting e.g reddening and raised areas of the neck and forehead and itching when the tint is on.
Now obviously, Im a cautious freak and I have tested her a thousand times with tint, extra coverage, peroxide alone, toner, even the Cuticle sealing treatment for after colour.
Nada.
A very small "heating" of the neck skin 20 mins after the toner test but apart from that I am none the wiser as to whats making her react.
My gut feeling is that its a combination of things.
1) the extremeties of temperature experienced by the skin - cold weather and central heating - when she already has sensitive skin. The tint just exaccerbating this.
2) She is a lady of a particulary "hormonal" age ( delicately put, I know ;-) )
3) The extra coverage is pretty strong and she is having in on scalp every 4 weeks so her scalp isnt given a time to rest much

Now, saturday I did her hair and Ive decided to give the scalp a rest so I did back to back foils as dammned near as I could ( I got about 2-3mm from the scalp) and all was fine, no itching during processing. I rinsed each foils well individually so there was minimal contact with scalp. When I went to cut her hair, although the reaction was very minor, she still experienced some reddening and soreness.
My question, after this essay ( sorry ) is : What do I do?

Please, any advice greatly appreciated, Im completely stuck on this.
JoJo xxx

Has she recently had a tatoo or medication increase or change.? Soooo frustrating wen this happens . Xx

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek

No tattoo's, no medication, uses Pureology products, lives well, eats well.
BUT high stress job, menopausel, suffers from exzema, and exposed to cold weather and central heating alot.
Just dont know what to do. She REALLY wont live without hair colour, but I dont want to hospitalise her for goodness sake!!
xx

Awe luvvie my bosses mum is allergic to everything. She can use a produck for ages and then BOOM. Could you hold the colour out for six weeks with coloured mouse?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek

Tell her to see her GP and get a referral for patch testing. I really don't think you can allow her to ignore the signs, especially as it puts you in a vulnerable position.

I'm sure you know but allergies develop after repeated exposure, its very rare to have a sudden case. The allergy usually has some 'low level' activity initially, which people could actually miss or just not realise they are the beginnings of an allergy e.g dry skin, tingly, redness etc. At some point, something will trigger the full allergy which could be very nasty/serious.

It's worth reminding her it might not be an allergy to PPD as people always assume, it could be a reaction to another ingredient. If this is the case, it might just be about looking for a different product.
HTH - good luck!

Last edited:
Hi JoJo.

Agree with all the above also.
Does she use Pureology at home as well. She could also be sensitive to some home shampoo's, styling products or serums ect.

I tint my own hair and have no reactions, but when I use any styling products, such as leave in spray conditioners or smoothing balms, especially with lactic acid or panthenol in, my forhead and scalp can turn red as a tomato. I also feel a slight burning sensation.
This doesn't bother me personally, but it just shows how easily you can react to different products. 5 years ago I wouldn't have reacted to anything, but now I find my skin quite sensitive to certain products. I think most people become more sensitive as they get older.

I don't know if this may be of any use to you, but Schwarzkopf have a permanent range called Igora Senaea. This is apparently got the seal of approval from a certain dermatological body.

THE FIRST PERMANENT COLOUR APPROVED BY PRODERM FOR DELICATE SCALP.
specially formulated for delicate scalps
perfect white coverage up to 90%
long-lasting color plus radiant shine
ammonia-free, odour-free, fragrance-free
95% of users experience a high scalp comfort during the color service with Senea.

I think the color range is more limited, but obviously it still has PPDs in, so its not 100% safety proof. I just thought you might be interested and could check out the technical data and details about it.
I'm going to try it on a client who normally has demi colors, but wants a more permanent tint.

:wink2:x

Last edited:
I know its not always a ppd reaction but what colour are you using to test? Use the darkest you have for her test. The way it can happen is the person has a slight allergy to ppd but the body can cope with a small amount (such as a patch test) but the body isn't able to cope with more (global application). That's why I use a 1.0 for tests for its higher concentration.

If she still has no reaction send her to her doctor for a full test (remind her its best to be full as some doctors will only test for what's asked and she may as well know if she's allergic to anything else now)

Xoxo

Thanks guys! Yeas she is a good girl and only uses products from me. I have been wondering wether these were early warning signs to a bigger reaction - hence my shout out for help! Ive normally got the answer in these situations but Im totally stumped.
Where would I get the Shwartzkoph (sp?) colour from - please dont tell me I have to go to Sallys!!
Would I advise her to go to her GP for broad spectrum allergy testing includng hair colour?
Thanks again
xx JoJo

Thanks guys! Yeas she is a good girl and only uses products from me. I have been wondering wether these were early warning signs to a bigger reaction - hence my shout out for help! Ive normally got the answer in these situations but Im totally stumped.
Where would I get the Shwartzkoph (sp?) colour from - please dont tell me I have to go to Sallys!!
Would I advise her to go to her GP for broad spectrum allergy testing includng hair colour?
Thanks again
xx JoJo

I'm sure Aston and Fincher would have Schwarzkopf colour, and IMO yes send her to her gp. If she's a "hormonal" lady she may find another thing she's allergic to and you could save her life.
My mum and her friend both became peanut allergic once they began, both had eaten them regularly for years xoxo

Thanks again
xx JoJo

Yes, ask her to see her GP & request patch testing. If she explains what the symptoms are (and when she gets them), they will test accordingly. They usually start off with about 40 substances and might add more depending whether she has any signs of an allergic reaction.

At least that way, you've taken all precautions to safeguard your client.

I was having the same issues with matrix! One reason I changed! These intense coverage ranges seems to be very harsh! Have you tried normal 8ng? X

Latest posts

Back