Possible scam, have any of you had this one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyGeek

Reaction score
Don't know if I am allowed to name and shame the company?

Just got a call on my salon phone saying that "** ***** Group" were calling on behalf of my local asda store. They are setting up a 5ft by 4ft advertising board and have space for 8 adverts and are calling local salons to see if they want a space.

Now I have asked in asda before about leaving a notice or something but at the moment they don't have an indoor advertising space. They have a few posters outside but they are paid advertising and are all full.

This naturally made me suspicious. I asked where abouts the board would be going and she said "To the left of the cash machine - near the store entrance" ... Now at our Asda the cash machine is to the left of the store entrance and the only thing to the left of it is a busy main road. This therefore made me think that it sounded fake and so I informed the lady I wasn't interested and ended the call.

She did mention during the explanation of the board that it wouldn't be free advertising so it seems to me like it may be a possible scam.

Have any of you seen this before? If it was a real company then oops - hope I didn't offend the lady on the phone.

Be on guard people - double check the number they are calling from in google etc. before agreeing to anything paid with someone who you haven't contacted yourself xx

Might be worth giving your local Asda an ring to check. Sounds a bit odd to me.

This sounds like one of those companies who put a big picture of a map and then surrounding it are adverts. I know in the local area where I live they stick them at asda's, sainsburys etc.

It is an external company that do it though.

I know a few people at tried it. Most pointless way to advertise. No one ever reads them.

I had these call me a few months ago for "ASDA" needless to say nothing has ever gone up in my local asdas entrance, I'd call the head office for ASDA and just report it. Also be aware of C*s media (not sure if It will get removed so do message me if you want the whole name (they also go by other names) based in Manchester. They call businesses saying you can advertise on their app cards for your local doctors that they give them for free - tell you it's one amount, then it turns in to more. I got scammed with them last year £450 out of pocket, called the local docs surgery they said they don't use the cards as they are computerised, they go in the bin! I didn't get what I paid for, the advert was terrible quality, no proof, my card was cloned not long after by someone in the Manchester area! Just google them I wish I had as it's all true unfortunately.
They also called me not long ago wanting to know if I wanted to advertise on their app cards (as I've moved premises since)...under another name, when I said are you anything to do with ***, the woman couldn't get off quick enough. X

Yes BannerPenguin she said it was a map and then adverts.

I just thought it was odd that when I asked her where it was going to be the place she said it was going to be was in thin air, near a main road.

On thinking back now, she probably meant to the left of the door before the cash point but I interpreted her inaccurate information as 'SCAM! SCAM!'

Probably for the best. I can't see it being very lucrative.

Yes BannerPenguin she said it was a map and then adverts.

I just thought it was odd that when I asked her where it was going to be the place she said it was going to be was in thin air, near a main road.

On thinking back now, she probably meant to the left of the door before the cash point but I interpreted her inaccurate information as 'SCAM! SCAM!'

Probably for the best. I can't see it being very lucrative.

On top of that they are very expensive ;) There the sort of thing you wouldn't even notice unless you look for it. There's one at my local sainsburys that's at the end of the trolley bit right next to the front door. Until I heard about these people I never noticed it. And being where it is, it's so far away to read.

Latest posts

Back