Please everyone, avoid this type of scheme

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlalouise

Reaction score
We were approached last April by this company regarding advertising on a television screen at one of the largest Dr surgery's in our area. We decided to go ahead and have two 20 second ads rotating on the screen every few hours daily which we thought would get our salon out there with all age groups, the initial cost was 6 months up front with a monthly DD for 18 months. After a few months when mentioned, clients of ours who go to this surgery said that they had never seen a television let a lone an ad so we got suspicious and phoned the company. It turned out that the TV had not yet been fitted this was now June but were told our contract would not start until it had. A few months later when we did not receive one referral or a mention from this ad we decided to phone the reception staff up at the surgery and ask if we were actually on their screen, they had no idea what we were talking about!!

Obviously we've been in contact again with this company and told them we want out, that they are in breach of contract and we want all our money back, this is when we found out that this company is a sort of legit scam targeting small business's! They have you completely tied in with their contract and in not very plain English it is saying that they will take your money even if you are not advertised anywhere!! They also have the right to advertise you in Timbuktu instead of where you were supposed to be advertising if they see fit.

We were IDIOTS, the guy (salesman) who came to see us made the proposition look fantastic and hurried us, in the nicest possible way, to sign without going through every small detail of the contract. I've Googled this company and they have been reported by numerous people to Watchdog, Trading standards but so far nobody has been able to get their money back, in fact people have after two years been put on another rolling contract without their knowledge, apparently you have to cancel 18 months in advance, and when stopping the DD have been hounded by debt collectors, as I said they prey on sole traders and small business's who cannot go up against them legally.

If out of this huge mistake I can warn as many salon owners, sole traders and small business's about this company it may make me feel a little bit better.

[thread title amended to remove name]

Last edited by a moderator:
We were approached last April by this company regarding advertising on a television screen at one of the largest Dr surgery's in our area. We decided to go ahead and have two 20 second ads rotating on the screen every few hours daily which we thought would get our salon out there with all age groups, the initial cost was 6 months up front with a monthly DD for 18 months. After a few months when mentioned, clients of ours who go to this surgery said that they had never seen a television let a lone an ad so we got suspicious and phoned the company. It turned out that the TV had not yet been fitted this was now June but were told our contract would not start until it had. A few months later when we did not receive one referral or a mention from this ad we decided to phone the reception staff up at the surgery and ask if we were actually on their screen, they had no idea what we were talking about!!

Obviously we've been in contact again with this company and told them we want out, that they are in breach of contract and we want all our money back, this is when we found out that this company is a sort of legit scam targeting small business's! They have you completely tied in with their contract and in not very plain English it is saying that they will take your money even if you are not advertised anywhere!! They also have the right to advertise you in Timbuktu instead of where you were supposed to be advertising if they see fit.

We were IDIOTS, the guy (salesman) who came to see us made the proposition look fantastic and hurried us, in the nicest possible way, to sign without going through every small detail of the contract. I've Googled this company and they have been reported by numerous people to Watchdog, Trading standards but so far nobody has been able to get their money back, in fact people have after two years been put on another rolling contract without their knowledge, apparently you have to cancel 18 months in advance, and when stopping the DD have been hounded by debt collectors, as I said they prey on sole traders and small business's who cannot go up against them legally.

If out of this huge mistake I can warn as many salon owners, sole traders and small business's about this company it may make me feel a little bit better.

Was it APPY PPL? I've had hell with them literally

You are not alone
When we started our signmaking business we agreed end to advertise is a local calendar. It was only about £300 but a lot of cash 20 years ago and when you are starting out. A total scam only the advertisers had a calender.

We were also coned into changing electric suppliers who were more money than what we had already.

So, now we do not entertain even talking to a supplier of energy or anyone asking if we want to be put on a scheme where we are advertised. If we want anything we will call them.

We simply say, not interested thank you and put the phone down, then get back to earning our wages.

You've got to be strong and stay alert.

I just put the phone down on this type of deals;)

Similar scams with wall planners in Doctors, Ambulance stations, police stations, supermarket staff rooms, etc have been doing the rounds since I started my business over 12 years ago.

I also got a call from a supposed children's abuse protection scheme, they'll stoop really low to exploit people's generosity.

I too put the phone down on cold calling sales people, if I want something I do my own research and reach out as necessary.

I started off being polite and listening to their pitch and politely declining. Two years later I just say no thanks and hang up as they are taking me away from my work and stopping potential clients calling as the line is busy. I have no patience with them anymore!

I find that anyone who approaches you for anything isn't worth listening to - especially for advertising. I'm so sorry for those of you that have been conned and hope we can all learn from it.

Thanks for sharing

Vic x

I do feel for u, no one needs the extra hassle and headache these Vermin's bring. Some people don't see the actual lasting affect on other human beings by scamming them for their hard earned cash. The sleepless nights the worry of how your going to get a penny back. The butterflies of things escalating. And it becomes part of your life! Just awful

I feel terrible for you. I got caught out when I started up for advertising on appointment cards for a dr surgery. Turned out they gave them hundreds of different cards and yours might or might not get picked out of the bundle. Lesson learned unfortunately.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I hope you get somewhere with it all and that your post helps someone else x

They aren't based in Manchester by any chance?

I feel terrible for you. I got caught out when I started up for advertising on appointment cards for a dr surgery. Turned out they gave them hundreds of different cards and yours might or might not get picked out of the bundle. Lesson learned unfortunately.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I hope you get somewhere with it all and that your post helps someone else x

Pattern here.. Why the doctors surgery again

Pattern here.. Why the doctors surgery again
It's because installs confidence as you associate the Doctors with a place of trust. Also everyone knows how long you can spend sitting in the waiting room staring into space so therefore you can relate to your advert probably being seen.

It's because installs confidence as you associate the Doctors with a place of trust. Also everyone knows how long you can spend sitting in the waiting room staring into space so therefore you can relate to your advert probably being seen.

I've always read the bottom of the GP surgery cards and it always says something along he lines of if you want to advertise here please call.... I would call the surgery too about advertising never a third party

Really mean scam in our area, bogus call from funeral director saying there's a refund on a funeral prepayment plan after the funeral has taken place ... Catching people when they're bereaved and vulnerable, they ask for bank details and somehow empty your account. We had a letter from our funeral directors about it

Really mean scam in our area, bogus call from funeral director saying there's a refund on a funeral prepayment plan after the funeral has taken place ... Catching people when they're bereaved and vulnerable, they ask for bank details and somehow empty your account. We had a letter from our funeral directors about it

Scum, utter bottom feeding scum :mad:

Poor you! how stressful! I had it with a company that was supposed to train in hair extensions. Paid £600 for the course then they cancelled the training with no offer of refund, after making a bit of a fuss they booked us in for training. We then never received the certificate only later for me to find out they are not qualified to train and I don't hold a hair extension certificate. I then had to re-pay and train with another company. It's awful what people get away with! L x

I ask if the company was based in Manchester as it too happened to me £400 lighter for nothing (doctors card advertising) man called Antony if I remember AND they tried to take another £400 out, my bank stopped it and made me aware that my card was used from somewhere based in Manchester not long after - only that company that had the card details given over the phone.
They've even tried calling me at my new premises at least 4 times a year trying to sell - I always tell them I know who they are and what they are doing, can't get off phone quick enough!

This isn't beauty related but had this email sent to me today which is a con email as gumtree never send emails out like this
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456436061.129610.jpg

So what I done was forward it back to him like a lunatic 200 times I just kept pressing forward forward forward
Think he got the message [emoji2]

Latest posts

Back