Possible to go mobile without a car?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty.fly

Reaction score
Hi. So I've decided to go mobile. I've gone for the compact version of everything and have a carry case with wheels that just about fits everything albeit heavy AND my massage couch. I offer threading, waxing and nail treatments. I don't drive and will be relying on my own two feet and good old public transport. A lot of therapists have told me it won't be possible. Is anyone else in the same position as me? Can I do this without a car?

I find it hard with a car! I dont carry a massage table but when doing nails i have my table which is 15 kilos and my trolley and i find that hard work. I could never imagine doing it on the bus their is no way! x

I echo that and don't want to put a downer on things but it is so hard even with a car! I cannot imagine doing it on public transport and not to mention clients that dont have nearby bus stops or train stations etc, you would have to decline their services.

Good luck to you if you do that! It's hard enough with a car! I could never carry all my stuff on public transport and I don't even do that many treatments at the moment! Surely you will need to charge more as well to cover your costs? X

I've been there and it is not easy! It wasn't a serious business just friends of friends, but the more I got recommended the more i was travelling so the worse it got!
Think about the space on buses/trains, with my trolley I always had to sit at the area for prams/ wheelchairs only so when a pram came on it was a nightmare!
Also I was always rushing from one appointment to the other and although I gave myself plenty of time, public transport isn't the most reliable.
Don't get me wrong it can be done its just tough :) xx

Oh dear. That's what I worried was the truth. I'm working on getting my license but money is an issue. The table is my biggest worry. I geuss I can do without for nails but for threading/ waxing clients will expect it no?

Is a home salon an option?
Public transport I imagine is expensive
I think youl be stressed out

Can I ask why mobile if you don't have a car why not rent a space somewhere or home salon?

Even with waxing mobile its so much less to carry if you dont take the bed but you would have to carry towels etc to make sure u dont have a leak! I dont offer waxing mobile full stop unless im doing another treatment otherwise you not only have to get their but wait for the wax to heat up etc and they are a nightmare for leakages. What if it leaks on the bus! I know how much of a pain it is not driving! Maybe work from home if its an option and put all the money you make aside for lessons? x

I would like to go mobile it makes sense for me due to personal reasons. I live in shared accommodation so working from home isn't an option. I would have to treat clients in my bedroom which isn't ideal. Oh no :(

Im a hairdresser and couldnt be mobile without a car. Public transport isnt the best at the best of times. Plus if u missed a bus or something you clients might get annoyed as your late? And cost aswell x

All you can do is try and make it work for you,
Could you contact like groups like mums and tots for example and offer your services in a separate room while everyone is meeting at the one place
Obviously for express treatments like tinting waxing file & polish

I would also advertise for group bookings your going to need clients in the same location I think to make this worth your while

Good luck

I'm mobile with out a car.... Its very hard work. I am picky about clients so I don't travel to far but I plan on getting a car asap otherwise I will only earn pocket money x

I was mobile for a year with a car and that was tough going and even getting to appointments back to back was hard enough in traffic I couldn't imagine public transport if you think how busy they can get especially term time when you have tons of school children/college teens people who get the bus to work and the elderly!

Agreed with above you couldn't take it as a serious business as you are so limited! Even with waxing that is a catastrophe waiting to happen let lone turning up having to heat up your wax pot ESP if the are only having waxing done. This will waste their time and yours.

But I wish you all the luck for you and your business :)

Hi, why Have you not thought of renting a space?

It would make more sense ESP untill you do drive...
Mobile is hard work packing & unpacking - and I have a boot full of equipment constantly.
(no way could I carry it all about - cant even imagine catching a bus or train and then walking from the stations / bus stops to clients home) ...

Let alone when it comes to rain - you'd be drowned ... !!!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking at getting a room. I work in retail part time to cover rent etc.. So money wise should be ok. Will just have to grin and beat it until I find a room to use or get my car!

Hi I just wanted to bump up this thread to find out how the poster is getting on.. Did you end up making a success of being mobile without driving or did you end up renting somewhere. I too am in this position.. I am currently planning a rebrand and relaunch of my business and I am also currently learning to drive. I want to offer mobile just in my local area so not much travel but would love to hear experiences from other salon geeks if they are mobile bot not yet driving ! X

I am ready to start mobile with no car. I can drive but as I live in Central London I choose not to at present. Public transport is great in my area and not expensive. I am planning spray tanning. Kit in a roller bag, tent over my shoulder. I also do nails but I'm unsure if I could manage both kits at once as I haven't tried it. So far I have travelled to my models to spray tan with no probs so I'm feeling optimistic. I have made a friend on sg that also does this (I was pleased to hear). So I'm going to give it a go, it'll work or it won't work that's my attitude. Make your plans but keep them flexible and let us know how it goes

I am ready to start mobile with no car. I can drive but as I live in Central London I choose not to at present. Public transport is great in my area and not expensive. I am planning spray tanning. Kit in a roller bag, tent over my shoulder. I also do nails but I'm unsure if I could manage both kits at once as I haven't tried it. So far I have travelled to my models to spray tan with no probs so I'm feeling optimistic. I have made a friend on sg that also does this (I was pleased to hear). So I'm going to give it a go, it'll work or it won't work that's my attitude. Make your plans but keep them flexible and let us know how it goes

This is great to hear and gives me some hope while I am learning to drive. I have been feeling so down recently, stuck in a part time retail job and just think I need to push myself. Nothing will change unless I start to make changes myself. Any other stories I'd love to hear :) x

Could you do the same treatments for one day and different the next day. So for example on Mondays you just do nails so only carry nail stuff. Then Tuesdays do massage so carry that stuff? And or say you are in a certain area on particular days. That's my only ideas :) good luck xx

Latest posts

Back