Possibly a silly question - layering on colour pops

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bex_w84

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to Shellac and am wanting to do some colour pops....

I have read that to save base coat and top coat that you can paint the underside of the clear colour pop...totally get this but what about layering colours this way?

Can anyone give me instructions on the best way...or am I just bestter layering on the topside?

Thanks in advance :)

You'd need to layer on the top, otherwise your base colour would be the one to show through the colour pop.

No need for base... just go ahead with your colour :)

I've thought about this too. What if you did them the other way round with the top colour first (effectively upside down)? x

I've thought about this too. What if you did them the other way round with the top colour first (effectively upside down)? x

You'll have to try it and see, but I'm thinking it will not look the same and then you will be embarrassed if a client complains, "The colour you showed me didn't look like that!"

I don't do Shellac, but I do make color pops with Gelish! I paint on the top of them but I never use base coat. I still use the top coat so they are super shiny and I can even layer colors over to show customers and wipe them away with cleanse and they still shine.

If you were to paint the underside wouldn't you still have to top it with something, shellac topcoat or lumos so it wouldn't be sticky? :rolleyes:

I layer on the underside, by just doing it in reverse. I lay down the top color that I want first and base layer second. Turns out fine. No base gel. Cheap no cleanse uv sealer. I also typically polish it so that the pop is divided into thirds. Polish 2/3 of pop with top color, cure, then polish from the other side 2/3 with the base color. That way when you turn the pop over, 1/3 is the plain top color, middle 1/3 is the layered look and the remaining 1/3 is the base color.

Latest posts

Back