Post natal depression, anyone else suffering?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lk.nails

Reaction score
Hello ladies
I have 3 gorgeous kids two boys and a girl, my daughter has just turned one and I have been diagnosed with PND. I am really struggling and wondered if anyone else can relate or been through it and gone back to normal? I can't take medication as all of the countless ones I've tried have made me sick. Can't really figure out what I can do to get through this.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated x

Hi hun so sorry to hear you're going through this.

My son had just turned 1 when I was diagnosed, I chose not to take medication but had counselling, it really helped to have someone to talk things through with.

Hope you find something that works for you xx

Hi I was diagnosed when my son was 8months old and I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter.
I'm on medication as I've suffered with depression since I was 12 and knew I couldn't get through it without the help of medication.
My sons now 3.5yrs and I'm so much better. I got so bad my husband had to leave work as I couldn't go out of the house on my own, but it's only on the odd occasion that I now feel that I can't go out on my own and I'm now been weaned of my tablets.

Also how long did u take the medication for? I was ill for 4 weeks with the ones I'm on now but after that I've had no side effects I'm taking sertaline.

I tried sertraline but couldn't keep anything down, I generally don't take anything stronger than paracetamol as most tablets make me unwell.. I haven't tried counselling yet but the doc has mentioned it so will give that a go. I feel like I'm someone else and scared I will never get the old me back. I feel so overwhelmed by everything. Mental illness is so hard to deal with!!

Hi hun so sorry to hear you're going through this.

My son had just turned 1 when I was diagnosed, I chose not to take medication but had counselling, it really helped to have someone to talk things through with.

Hope you find something that works for you xx

Thank you siorcha, will definitely try counselling, how long did you go to counselling before you felt a change? X

I felt like that aswel. I didn't even recognise myself at my worst but I'm finally starting to see the old me :) it can sometimes be a long road but it does end and there is help out there. If you want to talk you can pm me xx

Oh you poor thing :(
I had severe PND after the birth of my son as I was critically ill in hospital and was separated from him for weeks and thus our bond was broken. It took ages for me to get the right medication. Some meds made me feel ill, some made me pass out! But we persevered and eventually I got some that really helped (think they were Citalopram). I also went to weekly counselling sessions with other mums of PND and it really helped seeing other mums in the same situation. My mum was my saviour and practically moved in to look after my baby as I also had my 4 year old daughter too. Hubby did what he could but didn't really understand what was happening to me. Anyway it took about 9 months for me to start feeling like I was getting back to normal. It just happened very gradually, almost like I was very slowly coming out of a fog and I was noticing things I'd completely blanked before (like how smiley my baby was!) I also realised I was starting to laugh again. In the end I came off the meds after about a year and my bond with my son got stronger and stronger. He is now 12 years old and we are so so close. I love him with all my heart and I look back and shudder at how I ignored him. But it was the illness and with time, help and perhaps medication you WILL get through it. Don't put a time limit on things just take things one day at a time. There will be bad days and good days but gradually the good days will far outweigh the bad. Go back to your doctor and ask for the counselling. Where I went had a crèche to leave the babies too. Just ask for all the help you can and try and get a good support system around you (hubby, mum,sisters, friends??)
You WILL get through this. I wish you lots of luck hunni and a big cuddle to your children too xx

At first I didn't think it was helping, I'd come out of my sessions feeling really raw and emotionally drained, it was probably about 4 weeks in I started to notice a difference in myself. My counsellor was fab, he gave the tools I needed to look at things in a different way, including myself.....I still have insecurities and occasionally I beat myself about things but it's very short lived as I know what I need to do to turn it around. Would definitely give it a try hun xx

Thank you all so much it's so nice to hear from ppl who have been through it. I have a huge amount of support from my hubby who works nights but helps me so much in the day. His family and mine have offered help so I don't feel alone. I wasn't separated from my little girl when she was born but I lost a lot of blood and could hardly move so didn't get to hold her or feed her properly for a few days. Also I had a 5 yr old and my other little boy was six months old when I fell pregnant with her so was all very overwhelming.

It's great you've got that support network, don't be afraid to let people help you're not super woman.

It can feel like you're the only one going through this, you're not, it's just difficult for mothers to talk about these things sometimes as if people haven't been through it they don't understand.

Hope you feel better soon x

It did feel like I was the only one but after talking to you all I don't. It's a hard subject to discuss face to face because ppl don't no what to say but today I have had the best advice and I feel a sense of relief from hearing what you have all been through and that this will get better. Thank you from the bottom of my heart xxx

It did feel like I was the only one but after talking to you all I don't. It's a hard subject to discuss face to face because ppl don't no what to say but today I have had the best advice and I feel a sense of relief from hearing what you have all been through and that this will get better. Thank you from the bottom of my heart xxx

Oh that's so good to hear. Yes just knowing you're not the only one can make you feel better. Take all help offered and start making your way on that journey to getting better. I promise you all this will be a distant memory and you can get on with being a wonderful mummy to your gorgeous children. Good luck sweetheart xx

My MIL fist noticed my PND when my youngest was about 5 months old. I was saying the most awful things to my hubby that just came out, I didn't want to go out of the house, I wouldn't answer the phone, and certainly didn't want to see anyone.

I was forced by my hubby to see a doctor, and I had the health visitor regularly visiting me after that as well as Prozac pills. I also had counselling with family systemic counsellor, as I found my youngest really hard to deal with and this was when he was 2 years old, so it went on for a long time.

I remember deciding I didn't want to be on the pills anymore, so I weaned myself off them, against everyone's advice, and decided to drop the counselling too. But I just knew that things will get better the older he got, and of course it did. He's 15 now and he has the mindset that will get him far in life, loves me loads, and looks after me wonderfully. I still find him challenging, but am extremely proud of him as a person.

It just takes time I think to get through the PND and everyone's experience will be different.

Oh that's so good to hear. Yes just knowing you're not the only one can make you feel better. Take all help offered and start making your way on that journey to getting better. I promise you all this will be a distant memory and you can get on with being a wonderful mummy to your gorgeous children. Good luck sweetheart xx

Thank you so much! I look forward to the day I will call this a distant memory and now I'm much more hopeful that I will get there in the end. Thank you xx

My MIL fist noticed my PND when my youngest was about 5 months old. I was saying the most awful things to my hubby that just came out, I didn't want to go out of the house, I wouldn't answer the phone, and certainly didn't want to see anyone.

I was forced by my hubby to see a doctor, and I had the health visitor regularly visiting me after that as well as Prozac pills. I also had counselling with family systemic counsellor, as I found my youngest really hard to deal with and this was when he was 2 years old, so it went on for a long time.

I remember deciding I didn't want to be on the pills anymore, so I weaned myself off them, against everyone's advice, and decided to drop the counselling too. But I just knew that things will get better the older he got, and of course it did. He's 15 now and he has the mindset that will get him far in life, loves me loads, and looks after me wonderfully. I still find him challenging, but am extremely proud of him as a person.

It just takes time I think to get through the PND and everyone's experience will be different.

I completely relate to saying awful things to hubby and like you said it just comes out! Thank you for sharing you're experience of this awful illness each time I read these it gives me some reassurance that what is happening to me is not permanent and in time it will go.

I completely relate to saying awful things to hubby and like you said it just comes out! Thank you for sharing you're experience of this awful illness each time I read these it gives me some reassurance that what is happening to me is not permanent and in time it will go.

It will pass, just hang on, see the doctor, take advice, and I really feel for you :hug: it will be all worth it in the end, and you'll give yourself a pat on the back for sticking through it all. Motherhood is the most challenging job in the world :D. Remember we are all here for you.

I'm so glad that our replies have given you some reassurance, things will get better, it takes time but it will happen.

Like w1nnie said we're here if you need a chat, advice or just reassurance that you're not crazy lol x

Latest posts

Back