post natal depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year i was advised by my doctor to do some exercise and eat better..etc...he was referring to the fact that i felt low in energy..tired..(although sleeping well at night) and not much enthusiasm. Had i have told him i felt like i was in a black hole, had unhealthy thoughts about my future and couldn't see any way out i am sure he would have recommended a completely different course of treatment. x...for those with depression...i sympathise completely. xx

People mistake being tearfull for no apparent reason as depression,not necesarily true.

Beleive it or not without the drugs i was in a daze,my eyes were blurred,i had no emotion ,no memory and no feelings ,all i wanted to do was feel,even anger would have done buti just couldn't.

You are so right Becki, I knew that something was wrong when my little ones hugged me and I felt nothing. I had struggled on for ages, but this made me go and get help xx

You are so right Becki, I knew that something was wrong when my little ones hugged me and I felt nothing. I had struggled on for ages, but this made me go and get help xx

The thing is Rachel at the time,i could not even feel hurt that i could not love the beautifull perfect baby i had been blessed with.

Now i feel it can often be overwelming how much i love him .

The thing is Rachel at the time,i could not even feel hurt that i could not love the beautifull perfect baby i had been blessed with.

Now i feel it can often be overwelming how much i love him .

I know, I remember telling the doctor that I felt dead, there was nothing there. It was a terrible time and one that I hope to never go through again.

I totally agree - every other day people are declaring themselves as depressed because their boyfriend wont buy them the watch they want or they've gained 2lbs.... or they haven't got the money to go to Ibiza this time.... it really pisses me off.

True depression is such a severe and complex illness that can last years and years and go unnoticed by others, whilst the sufferer bears it in silence.

I would rather my leg be removed than go back to that hell - I mean that. Anxiety is a crippling illness. And Post Natal depression, I should imagine to be very frightening indeed.
i understand what you mean, deppression is something that doesnt go away like someone said its something that stick on your back and anything can trigger it off again.
i think i had this illness for 16years old on and off as i had a termination on my own...... long story and had to deal with that alone, i went so into myself i didnt know what to do being so young and having to deal with that.
i guess you could say it was my own falut which i thought it was. i had my step mum taunting me about it my dad out all the time and my mum miles away. all i would do it lock myself in the bathroom and cry everyday hating myself. i was so sick of feeling like that so i tried to end it by taking an over dose with ibrofen. i went to my friends and she took me to the doctors. i didnt see anyway out.
when it comes to the depression before and after my daughter i know it really and im not just diagnosing myself for the sake of it.
its real wether i liked it or not.
xxxxxxxx

I know, I remember telling the doctor that I felt dead, there was nothing there. It was a terrible time and one that I hope to never go through again.

That is exactly the reason it infuriates me when peeps cry at eastenders and think they are depressed,i was about to say if only they knew but i can hand on heart say i would not wish it on my wosrt enemy.

Rachel i am truely delighted that you are well again :hug:

Studies show that with manic depression it is genetic (my grandma suffered with it as did my father and an aunt on my mother's side who actually did commit suicide) but can skip a generation then reappear in the next - if I remember correctly 20% of all those diagnosed with manic depression commit suicide!

Obviously there is depression caused by chemical imbalance and depression caused by everyday events - loss of a loved one, financial worries etc etc.

As for Doctors dishing out tablets willy nilly this has never been the case in our area at the age of 16 the doctor prescribed me vitamin b6 - after one bout of bad depression they said that they would only prescribe for 6 months - and after I had Sam - he's seven now they said that if I hadn't been diagnosed with manic depression then they wouldn't have prescribed anything because it wasn't in their remit any longer to prescribe anti depressants/sleeping tablets without a clinical diagnosis!

In Russia they do not have the money to give out anti depressants to everybody and Schizophrenia (severe mental illness) is controlled extremely well with exercise. Same in Germany - doctors prescribe St Johns Wort.

The NHS is at liberty to hand over the tablets without offering counselling.

And please read all my posts on this thread. I am sick of people picking and choosing which bones to chew on.
Cadence, perhaps if you thought carefully before posting, peeps wouldn't 'pick bones to chew'. If this is what you feel is happening then perhaps it's because you are causing offence. If you think so many peeps are picking on you then surely there must be a reason why you feel antagonized.
Depression is a very serious illness and St. Johns wort cannot be taken by everyone. There are contra indications.

That is exactly the reason it infuriates me when peeps cry at eastenders and think they are depressed,i was about to say if only they knew but i can hand on heart say i would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Rachel i am truely delighted that you are well again :hug:

You too Becki.

I have to say though that I don't think you ever loose the illness, I think that it is something in you that you need to be aware of. That is only my opinion though xx

Cadence, perhaps if you thought carefully before posting, peeps wouldn't 'pick bones to chew'. If this is what you feel is happening then perhaps it's because you are causing offence. If you think so many peeps are picking on you then surely there must be a reason why you feel antagonized.
Depression is a very serious illness and St. Johns wort cannot be taken by everyone. There are contra indications.

I don't feel anyone is picking on me. This is a forum for adults.

ST JOHN'S WORT - a patient's guide
Natalie Gauld - Pharmacy Educator

Use: mild to moderate depression St John's Wort is a herbal remedy, also known as hypericum. It has been used for centuries for depression and anxiety. It is commonly used in Germany and other parts of the world.
The flowers and leaves of the St John's Wort plant (Hypericum perforatum) are used to make the herbal remedies. These flowers and leaves contain many different compounds including hypericin, which is thought to be one of the compounds that makes St John's Wort helpful for depression and anxiety. These compounds are extracted from the plant matter using alcohol.
Some of the products available are "standardised" for hypericin. This means that the amount of hypericin is measured and should be the same in every single tablet. Therefore, standardised products are more consistent than products that are not standardised. Because there are many different compounds in the plant, it is thought that other ingredients will have an effect on depression also, but because they are not "standardised" they may vary from tablet to tablet. Different brands will have different amounts of hypericin and other ingredients, so it pays to stay with one reputable brand rather than switching from one to another.
St John's Wort looks very promising as a treatment for mild to moderate depression. There have been comparisons of St John's Wort with other medicines for depression such as imipramine and amitriptyline (tricyclic antidepressants) in tests. These studies have been fairly positive for St John's Wort, indicating that St John's Wort helps with depression and does not have many side effects. Unfortunately the trials have been only for short periods of time (e.g. 4 or 8 weeks), so it is not certain how well St John's Wort will work or whether there will be more side effects over a longer period of use. These studies have usually been carried out with only small numbers of patients, which is also a disadvantage.
St John's Wort has been compared with older tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. imipramine and amitriptyline), and has generally shown fewer side effects than the tricyclic antidepressants. It would be useful to compare St John's Wort with newer antidepressants such as fluoxetine (Prozac) and paroxetine (Aropax) to see if St John's Wort works as well and if St John's Wort has as few or less side effects, as these medicines are used so commonly now.
It is not known how St John's Wort works. It is thought that St John's Wort may affect serotonin, noradrenaline and dopamine uptake.

Cautions:
Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding without talking to your doctor first.
If you are on other medicines check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking St John's Wort.
If you have liver or kidney problems, or other serious medical conditions it is very important to check with your doctor before taking any herbal remedies.
If you think you are depressed it is important to talk to your doctor about how you are feeling. More severe and persisting depression may not be responsive to St John's Wort, and it is important to talk to your doctor to discuss if your feelings are due to depression.
Side effects: This remedy does not seem to have many problems with side effects, however possible side effects are listed below:

Allergy.
Increased skin sensitivity to the sun is extremely rare.
St John's Wort generally does not seem to cause drowsiness and affect the ability to drive, however a very small percentage of people taking it may feel tired.
Increased sensitivity to touch, temperature and pain is a possibility. There may be other side effects, so if you have any unexpected symptoms while taking this medicine, tell your doctor or pharmacist.

Interactions: There is a potential with any herbal product or medicine for interactions - even grapefruit juice can affect medicines, so it is very important to check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any medicines, before starting St John's Wort.
Likely interactions include (but are not limited to):

Certain antidepressants including fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Aropax), other SSRI antidepressants.
Warfarin/coumarins/anti-coagulants (for thinning the blood).
Digoxin (for the heart).
Cyclosporin (for transplants and some diseases such as psoriasis and arthritis).
Theophylline (for asthma).
Migraine medicines called triptans, e.g. Imigran (sumatriptan).
Some medicines used to treat HIV.
Oral Contraceptives ("the pill").
It is also thought possible that there could be an interaction with some epilepsy medicines that sometimes are also used for pain, or bipolar disorder (manic depression), e.g. carbamazepine, phenytoin, and phenobarbitone.
It is very likely that there are other interactions that are not yet known. If there is an interaction with your medicines and St John's Wort, difficulties may show up when you are taking the St John's Wort and also may occur at the point in time when you stop taking St John's Wort. Some of these interactions may be very severe, so it is extremely important that you talk to your doctor if you are on St John's Wort as well as other medicine or if you are considering using St John's Wort.

Yep,for me too it is always there,just waiting to rear it's ugly head only this time,i have my gloves on and i will be putting up one hell of a fight !

Yep,for me too it is always there,just waiting to rear it's ugly head only this time,i have my gloves on and i will be putting up one hell of a fight !

You keep fighting Babe xx

I recognise patterns in my behavior if I ever start getting 'low' and so does my husband and then we have big talks and he gives me lots of extra time, love, take the kids out to give me space etc.. This generally keeps me going.

I recognise patterns in my behavior if I ever start getting 'low' and so does my husband and then we have big talks and he gives me lots of extra time, love, take the kids out to give me space etc.. This generally keeps me going.

Ahhh that is so lovely!Can i please borrow your husband to train my partner?!:green:

Those of us who are fortunate to have understanding partners.. are very lucky. I can't imagine how much harder it would be for single parents.

Ahhh that is so lovely!Can i please borrow your husband to train my partner?!:green:

It took quite a while for him to even get what I was going through.

My doctor who was fantastic gave him lots of leaflets and web pages to read through and he had a much better understanding of it.

In the end he was amazing and I don't know what I would have done without him, I truly feel for people who's partners don't empathize.

Those of us who are fortunate to have understanding partners.. are very lucky. I can't imagine how much harder it would be for single parents.

I wasn't single,but he didn't understand,it drove him away and let's say he had a breife encounter.:smack:

The thing was i understood why he did it (years ago ) and although some may disagree,it made us / me stronger,that was the first time i had feelings for six months.

I have now bared my soul for the world to see,but to those who need a friendly ear,i have two xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wasn't single,but he didn't understand,it drove him away and let's say he had a breife encounter.:smack:

The thing was i understood why he did it (years ago ) and although some may disagree,it made us / me stronger,that was the first time i had feelings for six months.

It is hard for the blokes to understand, but some are brilliant and others.. well, just don't understand it and don't want to understand it.

What matters now is that your relationship is stronger and your life is so much better now... and when you are achieving what you are achieving ( creative masters in sight ) and focusing on something... it's all got to be good from here on :hug:

What matters now is that your relationship is stronger and your life is so much better now... and when you are achieving what you are achieving ( creative masters in sight ) and focusing on something... it's all got to be good from here on

Exactly,there is an end to it,you just have to get there and then stay there !!!!!

xxxxx

i was a single mum for a while when i had it, its not nice when your friends look happy and getting on with live and you just feel stuck.
xxxx

Having just trawled through all the replies I need to comment on some :confused:

Things like exercise, Healthy eating and Vitamins etc are worth trying if your low but functioning.
But like any illness there are different degree's of mental illness from mild to severe from mild depression to schizophrenia, Now would you advise a person with schizophrenia to try exercise :eek: NO of cause not and its is the same with Bi-polar depression or clinical depression THESE ARE REAL MEDICAL ILLNESS'S that need to be treated with medicines.
Sorry to sound harsh but as someone with Bi-polar who has been to hell and back please understand that to not treat these types of illness is like giving someone a death sentence.
I totally agreed with both Carend and Debs post's and Bagpuss's posts were also sensitive and spot on :)

Latest posts

Back