Potty Training My Son

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leely

Reaction score
I am trying to potty train my son.

Has anyone got any advice?

He is nearly 2 & half, i keep getting him to sit on the potty but nothing. I keep asking him if he needs to go and he keeps saying no. Then i will hear "Oh No Mumma" and he has had a accident.

Advice needed please :) xx

Hi, Im mum of 4 so have had my fair share of potty training disasters!
All of mine were dry day & night before 2nd birthday. I used the cold turkey approach with first 3, all nappies given away to "a baby" and pants and potty, no turning back. Yes we had accidents, but its amazing how quickly they learn when the back up option is taken away! The youngest one surprised me, and at 17 months just wouldnt keep a nappy on, she basically trained herself through stubbornness and I honestly cant remember her having any accidents! I think a lot of it is down to when they are ready, but after 2 yrs they should have the ability to control their bladder and so cold turkey just gives them a push in the right direction! I also used to work in child care and saw a lot of different approaches to potty training, there is no right or wrong way, its what works best for you and your child! Good luck x

i am now stepping away from the keyboard... on a roll with posting 7 i dont usually do so ha ha

I am trying to potty train my son.

Has anyone got any advice?

He is nearly 2 & half, i keep getting him to sit on the potty but nothing. I keep asking him if he needs to go and he keeps saying no. Then i will hear "Oh No Mumma" and he has had a accident.

Advice needed please :) xx

That's a great sign that he recognises when he's had an accident.

I started off a few months before and got him into the routine of sitting on the potty in the morning, before bed etc. didn't expect him to use it, he sat fully clothed just so it was part of his routine.

Then when it was time I cleared my schedule for a week, and totally focused on it. Monitor what he drinks, that will give you an indication as to when he needs the loo. Also if your doing it, don't put nappies on for journeys or going out the house, it confuses them. Once you are going out just take plenty spare clothes.

Day one he was naked from the waist down. I asked literally every 10 mins. And moved the potty from room, to room so it was always there. And we operated a star chart. A star for every pee/poo

Day 2 we had just pants on but same thing.

Day 3 we put loose fitting trackie bottoms on that were easy for him to pull down. And we went for a little walk - making sure to go potty before we left.

4 & 5 same as day 3. And he just got it. Then I reduced the star rewards down to when he went on his own without being asked to go, and now he's 3.5 so we have reduced the stars to when he manages to wipe his own bum after a poo etc. (we do check he's clean lol) eventually he won't get a reward for it, I just use rewards to get him into it.

Supernanny does a brilliant book called confident toddler care or something. It outlines all her routines, I use it all the time, has made life a lot easier lol. It's written to make you see things from a kiddies point of view, recommend it.

Gooood luck xxxx

Oh and expect accidents - when they happen don't get mad or punish/time out when they are just starting out, but also don't use the words it's okay or it's alright or don't worry.

I found it worked to not make a fuss, just change them and say something like "oh no thats not good, next time we will use the potty won't we?" We had very few accidents.

And this next one sounds daft, but really make a fuss when the first start going on the potty. We had a wee song and dance we did. He thought it was fab. Positive encouragement and all that :) xx

Thank you for your tips ladies.

I don't have anything major planned this week , only revision at home and having my hair colored. So plan on spending this week getting him potty trained. fingers crossed x

mum of 3. I trained all of mine in the summer. so they could just wear undies around the house and still be comfortable. keep at him, just put him on the toilet in the morning as soon as he wakes and after eating. my boy wasn't interested at all when I trained him at 2.5 yrs than a week later he just started going by himself.
when he was learning to stand and pee I put a ping pong ball in the toilet so he had something to aim at.

I've never been a big fun of Gina Ford but regarding potty train I did follow her routine, my son was potty trained from 2 years old and never had any accidents, I do recommend to have a read at her book on this subject :) xxx

Oh my god this was the hardest thing iv had to do with my daughter!! I started training her from 2yrs on about four occasions over a year, i would try for a couple of days then give up because i thought she wasn't ready. She would make herself sick screaming and panicking. Just before her 3rd birthday my mum decided to try her and put her on the toilet and she screamed and pulled but the second try she was fine, my mum just told her to listen out for the tinkle noise. She didn't do anything and we were putting pull ups on her but after about a week of regularly putting her on the toilet she eventually got the hang of it so we made the jump of getting rid of the nappies. She had a few accidents but now asks to go and is in knickers all day, it really does take time and knowing when they are ready. I really was panicking thinking she would never get there but she was 3 when she was trained so i think she was ready.

If I had wooden flooring I think I would attempt it now with my son. He is only 14months but he catches on to things quite quickly. I did think about getting a potty and getting him to do the same thing...fully clothed just to get used to the idea but then I thought he might associate with being dressed. Good luck with it and any more tips I can't wait to hear them!!

Not sure this is going to be any help I'm afraid as there was no training in my house.

My son had spent most of the summer running around without a nappy on but never went on the potty & I never pushed it as I believe children should progress at their pace not mine.

At 26 months old he came up to me and said wee so I whipped the nappy off popped him on the toilet & that was the day the nappies went with only a couple of accidents.

Good luck hope it goes well x

We have twins in the family, were 2 in march. As you will know with kids, if one has something, the other wants it. Well, one of them is really into potty training, she goes to the potty and knows to push, I think she loves it so much because of the praise we all give her for using it. Even her sister cheers her and says "eve did a pee" and "eve go potty" but you ask her if she needs a pee or to go potty and she says no, try sitting her on it but she just doesn't want to. She will sit and then get up and say she has peed but she hasn't (I suspect she thinks if she says she peed, we will cheer her too!) does anyone have any tips? Their mum is also trying to get them away from dummies so its a busy household at the moment....

If I had wooden flooring I think I would attempt it now with my son. He is only 14months but he catches on to things quite quickly. I did think about getting a potty and getting him to do the same thing...fully clothed just to get used to the idea but then I thought he might associate with being dressed. Good luck with it and any more tips I can't wait to hear them!!

Get a potty and introduce it while your running his bath, good luck

We have twins in the family, were 2 in march. As you will know with kids, if one has something, the other wants it. Well, one of them is really into potty training, she goes to the potty and knows to push, I think she loves it so much because of the praise we all give her for using it. Even her sister cheers her and says "eve did a pee" and "eve go potty" but you ask her if she needs a pee or to go potty and she says no, try sitting her on it but she just doesn't want to. She will sit and then get up and say she has peed but she hasn't (I suspect she thinks if she says she peed, we will cheer her too!) does anyone have any tips? Their mum is also trying to get them away from dummies so its a busy household at the moment....

Reward her with a choccy button when she has a wee, she will cotton on that her sis is getting a treat and want one too,
Read them a book whilst sitting on it to keep them occupied,
Reduce the treats once they are doing wees on their own to just when they do a poo,

Dummies always a tricky one
I was quite harsh and just took it off the girls but they only had them at bedtime when younger

I would suggest them only having it at sleep time and after a few weeks just take it off them, get them used to not using it during the day first if they do so,

Kids adapt very quickly to change its the parents that struggle and give in to the winging

I had 3 girls under 3 so I get the busy house thing and sometimes you give in for an easy life, praise mummy too as she will be pulling her hair out for a few days x

Well yesterday was very hard :(

I took his nappy off and let him run around with only his t-shirt on, I kept asking him if he needed wee every 10 mins. He kept saying no, tried sitting him on potty every 20 to 30 mins he kept crying and telling me no.
When I was out of the room he would run in to a corner were he could hide and do his business. I get the impression he thinks going to toilet is a bad thing. x

Well yesterday was very hard :(

I took his nappy off and let him run around with only his t-shirt on, I kept asking him if he needed wee every 10 mins. He kept saying no, tried sitting him on potty every 20 to 30 mins he kept crying and telling me no.
When I was out of the room he would run in to a corner were he could hide and do his business. I get the impression he thinks going to toilet is a bad thing. x

Get him a treat box, shoe box wrapped in his favourite characters wrapping paper and fill it with small treats,

Try reading to him while on potty or try the toilet seats some kids prefer the toilet

It will take a few days for him to click on but don't give in and give him the nappy back.

Keep going x

Get him a treat box, shoe box wrapped in his favourite characters wrapping paper and fill it with small treats,

Try reading to him while on potty or try the toilet seats some kids prefer the toilet

It will take a few days for him to click on but don't give in and give him the nappy back.

Keep going x

so far this morning i have managed to get him to sit on his potty with his clothes and nappy on, but again keeps telling me no and running away getting him in too a right state. I'm not sure if its because his potty is in the front room and its too open or because their is some underlying problem. x

so far this morning i have managed to get him to sit on his potty with his clothes and nappy on, but again keeps telling me no and running away getting him in too a right state. I'm not sure if its because his potty is in the front room and its too open or because their is some underlying problem. x

It's just all new and he doesn't know what's going on,
Don't confuse him by putting him on it with clothes on, honestly the treat box works, one wee choccy button every time he does a wee will do him no harm for a week or so,

Try and get a "big boy" toilet seat,

It takes a few days for them,

Keep going

It's just all new and he doesn't know what's going on,
Don't confuse him by putting him on it with clothes on, honestly the treat box works, one wee choccy button every time he does a wee will do him no harm for a week or so,

Try and get a "big boy" toilet seat,

It takes a few days for them,

Keep going

We are going to get one on Saturday. We have a little gift bag with sweets in, which he knows e can have if he has been good etc. so will use this :) X

I didn't bother with potty training until my little boy was just over 3yrs and it was during last summer when he could play outside with no pants on. He was obviously ready by then as he picked it up very quickly.

That way, neither of us felt stressed by it.

The potty song on utube worked wonders for me. My little boy wasnt trained and at 2 an a half thought it was time. He also has a poo phobia so witholds till causing damage. A play therapist sugested it. He sits on potty/toilet whilst wstching ot on my phone over abd over. After the first day he was using potty no probs. Now progressed to toilet. The play therapist however did say not to bother with training unless he cud go through the night as thats when their ready. Good luck x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back