Pre-softening with peroxide health and safety hazard?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabby

Reaction score
at college I was taught to use developer to presoften very resistant hair by applying 20 volume and then blow drying it into the hair
, at wella and previously goldwell, we are taught that you should only use neat colour with distilled water as hydrogen peroxide is a health and safety hazard when applied neat without colour and that it would invalidate insurance, is this correct?
From what I can find, most colour lines don't recoment using developer to presoften anymore. Luckily, I have never had to do it in salon before and my managers/senior stylist have not done it for over a decade.
But should it issue ever arise, I don't want to do it wrong!
please keep in mind a lot of laws have changed in recent years!​

Last edited:
Many years ago, it was liquid peroxide that was used to pre soften, then it was dried into the hair.

I haven't used this method for many years - mainly because there is no need! :p

I use L'Oreal, who have 'Supreme' which is especially targeted for white hair coverage.
They also have their 'fundimental' line, which I find covers beautifully.

As a side note....I quite like a slightly softer/translucent coverage, as I feel it looks more natural, but each to their own! :)

I've never had to pre soften but if hair looks like it will be resistant I re apply the colour after ten mins developing time x

Latest posts

Back