Precison Curette or Probe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treacle44

Reaction score
I've got a double ended pushie, but do I need a curette or probe as well to pep for Shellac?

What is the difference between the probe and the curette?

Thanks x

Its not completely essential to have a probe/curette, what is essential is having tools to do a good PEP service.
For me I find nothing better then the probe for ensuring all the cuticle from the sidewalls is removed.
The tools I use are a double ended curette probe and a precision pushie. I also love my double ended cuticle chisel.
Whatever you need to get the job done most effectively.

The probe is the smaller of the two, for removing tiny 'foreign' objects and detailed cuticle work, the curette is larger and for removing cuticle from the nail plate. Both very good.
I use the probe more- use with care though so as not to scrape the nail plate with over zealous cuticle removal- particularly if using with cuticle away.

Double ended curette probe and a Precision pushie for me aswell. Personally I cannot live without my probe, it's brilliant for fingers and for toes! :D

Is there a big difference between chisel and probe as I am doing my manicure course on thursday with cnd and I was told to get a double ended cuticle probe, but I couldn't find it on their website so got the chisel :(

Sent from my U20i using SalonGeek

can someone post pictures of what a probe is?

this is a probe Precision Probe

a curette is more like a scoop, if used incorrectly a probe can scratch the nail plate x

i probably sound stupid, but it's hard to see the picture of the probe, so it kind of looks like the curette. is it just like a hook?

Theyre both on the S2 website, I rang & spoke to a lady there but she said they're the same thing! Huh?! Totally confused. :(

The main difference is in the size, a probe is smaller, curette bigger. If you get the double ended you cant go wrong!

The chisel is completely different but still a great tool.
There are pictures on the S2 website, they're small but you can see here, the chisel has a flat end, the probe/curette small rounded ends.

Tools-Of-The-Trade

I ordered the double ended from s2 and ended up buying another from else where as the end with the curette on is bent over at a funny angle making it really difficult to use keeping it flush to the nail and not scratching it!

I ordered the double ended from s2 and ended up buying another from else where as the end with the curette on is bent over at a funny angle making it really difficult to use keeping it flush to the nail and not scratching it!

I've had the same problem with mine! it's even worse trying to use it on myself, as I have quite long natural nails so I have to angle it over each side of the fingers, otherwise the free edge gets in the way and I can't reach my eponychium. Don't know if that was very clear?

I'll definately have to invest in one that's straight, without the hooked bit.

So I'd be best going for the precision probe then do you think? Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back