Prep for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankielea83

Reaction score
Hi, i'm new to the boards! i have just got my cnd uv light through the post and am dying to use it to create cnd shellac nails! my isopropyl alcohol for wiping of the inhibition layer has not yet arrived. Is there anything else i can use for the time being?ive read acetone can be used? and also is it necessary to use a dehydrator/primer and can it be any make or does it have to be cnd? i have an nsi primer from doing acrylic nails.

just want to point out i will not be doing clients nails until my alcohol arrives to wipe the nails and ive practiced until perfect.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to SG :)

Who did you train with for Shellac?

Xx

hi and thanks! i will be teaching myself, i am qualified in manicures pedicures and acryic and gel nails (sculptured and tip), i know technically i should wait to use the alcohol but i am just eager!
i have the cnd base and top coat, cnd uv light and cnd negligee and cream puff colours, i am waiting for a colour to arrive that i have ordered too!

Thanks for any help you can give.

To get the best results from Shellac I would really recommend doing a Shellac Brings 'Em Back course! It's not expensive and is one day of training but the information is invaluable and will enable you to give your clients the best service. Contact Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060 :)

I used Shellac for 2 months before attending the course and couldn't believe how much I improved. I promise you won't regret doing the training.

Xx

To get the best results from Shellac I would really recommend doing a Shellac Brings 'Em Back course! It's not expensive and is one day of training but the information is invaluable and will enable you to give your clients the best service. Contact Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060 :)

Xx

I agree! To get the best out of any service you should really do the training/workshops. It costs pennies to do and is worth the 3 hours out of your time to know you're doing it correctly :) x

I agree too! I bought my shellac kit about a month ago and used it thinking it was easy and regretted booking my training cos I didn't think I'd need it! Had my training yesterday and I'm so glad I did it! Feel so much more confident now and I can't wait to go back and do more courses! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Did you buy your lamp from Sweet Squared? Did you not order DSperse at the same time? You can use your Cool Blue for now if you're just doing yourself, if you ordered that?

hi and thanks! i will be teaching myself, i am qualified in manicures pedicures and acryic and gel nails (sculptured and tip), i know technically i should wait to use the alcohol but i am just eager!
i have the cnd base and top coat, cnd uv light and cnd negligee and cream puff colours, i am waiting for a colour to arrive that i have ordered too!

Thanks for any help you can give.
Hi Frankie, just some clarification needed please. When you say CND base and top coat, do you mean Shellac base and top coat as the Shellac will not work without it.

Whilst you are having a play only with Shellac, I think it is fine to use another dehydrator and isopropyl alcohol, but For clients, I do re omen using the Shellac products together. I also us Calgel but keep my products separate for each system.

Shellac does not need a primer.

Have fun.

Hi, i'm new to the boards! i have just got my cnd uv light through the post and am dying to use it to create cnd shellac nails! my isopropyl alcohol for wiping of the inhibition layer has not yet arrived. Is there anything else i can use for the time being?ive read acetone can be used? and also is it necessary to use a dehydrator/primer and can it be any make or does it have to be cnd? i have an nsi primer from doing acrylic nails.

just want to point out i will not be doing clients nails until my alcohol arrives to wipe the nails and ive practiced until perfect.

Thanks

Get yourself registered on the CND pro website if you haven't already, all the steps for Shellac, along with product profiles + required MSDS Sheets are available to download so it's a necessity, and should answer all your questions. Also plenty of cool education videos and other bits. You will quickly realise that using acetone to wipe away the dispersion layer is not an option!

Definitely make sure you are buying all your Shellac supplies from Sweet Squared or their authorised sub-distributors (Ellisons or the Academies). They sell IPA branded as Dsperse which is suitable to use with Shellac. No primer is needed but you should be throughly pepping the nail, with Cool Blue + Scrub Fresh. CND recommend that you use all products from their own system as they are designed to work together. Sweet Squared are the only authorised distributors for CND in the UK, and as a massive bonus they run a Shellac Locator Website which, as long as you regularly purchase from them, you will be listed on to help new clients find your services.

Thank you for all the advice! I will invest in the scrub fresh and look I'm really pleased I found this site!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You will quickly realise that using acetone to wipe away the dispersion layer is not an option.

Sorry if I have given incorrect information. Can you confirm for me please that using straight forward isopropyl alcohol is not an option, not that I use it, but I don't want to be sharing inaccurate info? Ta x

Sorry if I have given incorrect information. Can you confirm for me please that using straight forward isopropyl alcohol is not an option, not that I use it, but I don't want to be sharing inaccurate info? Ta x

Any isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is fine as far as I'm aware. CND don't make their own. In the UK we have Dsperse but for example in the US they don't have this so can use any brand as far as I'm aware, as long as it is a high enough percentage it is fine. All the CND literature tell you to use IPA without mentioning a particular brand.

You have quoted a portion of my post where I state that using acetone is not ok. I'm not sure if you've misread / misquoted?

Any isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is fine as far as I'm aware. CND don't make their own. In the UK we have Dsperse but for example in the US they don't have this so can use any brand as far as I'm aware, as long as it is a high enough percentage it is fine. All the CND literature tell you to use IPA without mentioning a particular brand.

You have quoted a portion of my post where I state that using acetone is not ok. I'm not sure if you've misread / misquoted?
Sorry, I must have misread. Thanks x

Latest posts

Back