Price for "polish party"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brervixen

Reaction score
Hi, my friend has asked me to come along to her twin girl's birthday party on Saturday and paint nails for all the girls there, there are a possible 30 girls who may want their nails painting.

She want's a price for this, now normally I charge £6 for a file and paint and I said that because I am not going to file, I would charge £4 a paint, and she text me back asking "is that per bottle of paint used?" - then she text back saying if even 20 girls had their nails done that would be £80 and she can't afford that. Fair enough.

I don't mind doing her a deal, but if I'm going to be doing up to 30 paints, I want paying reflecting on the cost of products and MY TIME and expertise! I could quite easily empty at least a bottle of polish from my personal "stash" :eek:

So, I have no idea what to say to her and she wants to discuss this tonight? :rolleyes:

Help!!

As you said, it's your time and products! What age will they be? I'm assuming quite young?
What about cutting your time more by only applying base coat and one coat of colour? (This might only work depending on the age)
Or charging per hour your there?

Hmmm... Sorry but I think she's trying it on. I'm arranging a party for my toddler at the moment and trust me most children's entertainment is more than £80! If you can't afford it, you can't have it.

30 polishes will be hard work! I'd tell her that's the minimum you could charge to cover your time and materials and suggest the girl chooses a few of her best friends for a 'pre-party pamper' x

I have to say I agree with lyddy if she can't afford to pay you to do every1s nails why not a smaller select group .. It is gonna be hard going doing 30 and she's hiring you because she knows it will be done properly so she has to understand you have to be paid fairly

Haha maybe you could sell her some polish for the 60 nails she wants painted, gosh I wouldn't even take that many polishes on to be fair. Why not suggest an hourly rate, say two hours and you will paint as many as you can In that time- however she is probably looking for you to do it for nothing basically!

Maybe suggest she supplies the polishes and just pays for your time?

If there only young (12 or younger) then I can't see you using a lot of polish as let's face it children's nails are tiny lol. So I'd say maybe charge like £10-£15 an hour? That's what I would personally charge as I'm in this job for the passion not just money making... I realise that may come across harsh specially as this may be your only way of income but she may end up saying she will just do it herself or get another friend as she will see it is 'just painting nails' so wouldn't £10-£20 be better then nothing? ... Hope that doesn't come across too harsh? X

Local salons charge £12 per child for fingers and toes. And it was not a pro job :/

That's £6/set.

Give her your price and if she wants it, she'll let you know. Don't devalue your brand and expertise.

Thanks guys, I've already said I'll only go for 2 hours (as I have other clients that day) I was thinking of saying maybe £40 for those 2 hours? She seems to think that I can work for cheap because I'm her friend!

It is a BIG ask and what's more... it's THIS SATURDAY. Talk about leaving it till the last minute. I do agree with what everyone has said already though.

The kids will all be 12-13 years. So not gonna get any proper business from it, unless I give them all leaflets and business cards to give to their parents.

Thanks guys, I've already said I'll only go for 2 hours (as I have other clients that day) I was thinking of saying maybe £40 for those 2 hours? She seems to think that I can work for cheap because I'm her friend!

It is a BIG ask and what's more... it's THIS SATURDAY. Talk about leaving it till the last minute. I do agree with what everyone has said already though.

The kids will all be 12-13 years. So not gonna get any proper business from it, unless I give them all leaflets and business cards to give to their parents.

I think that's really cheap!! And £4 a set us really cheap too she should think herself lucky!
That's only £20 - travel, products, time. You left working for pennies! At that age done kids have 'normal' size nails. Plus you might have to re-paint if they smudge. I think your first offer is generous I would go any lower. But obv it's up to you :) xx

Laura💋

If there only young (12 or younger) then I can't see you using a lot of polish as let's face it children's nails are tiny lol. So I'd say maybe charge like £10-£15 an hour? That's what I would personally charge as I'm in this job for the passion not just money making... I realise that may come across harsh specially as this may be your only way of income but she may end up saying she will just do it herself or get another friend as she will see it is 'just painting nails' so wouldn't £10-£20 be better then nothing? ... Hope that doesn't come across too harsh? X

£10p/hr would be less than NMW when you consider materials, travel etc. I LOVE my job but consider it my career not a hobby :)

£80 is not a lot and it's hard work with kids choosing polishes for ages and smudging them.

If she can afford food & goodie bags for 30 kids she may have to budget for entertainment as well...

How much of a friend is she?

£80 is waaaay cheap for that amount of kids - if she's expecting it from you as a 'professional' then she needs to pay the price, it's much cheaper than I'd charge for 30 kids.. even as much as half price.

If she's wanting you to do it 'as a friend' then she needs to do it at a convenient time for you when you wouldn't be working/turning away other clients.

It seems that you're meant to be her friend but she's not being your's!! If it was me I think i'd politely tell her to sod off :)

I agree £80 is not a lot for 30 kids/teens ,if she can afford to throw a party for that many kids then she can afford to pay you £80 , I would tell her to price up a pamper package elsewhere for that many , I'm sure she will be running back ;-)

Hi, can I jump on here please? I've posted a thread on Biz Geek which has my pamper parties attached. Its called pamper party price list!
You could take a look and give your opinions too if that's ok?

Thanks
X

Caroline
Nail Vibe x

She ended up cancelling. :irked:

No way!!! Today?! Yikes 👎👎👎

Yesterday... Long story short, I said to her on wed to ask her girls how many of their friends actually wanted their nails painting and she came back to say that they weren't really bothered cause there was already a foam party and bouncy castle going on.

I just text her back saying that well at least she'll save some money not having me there then.

Latest posts

Back