Price increase...need your opinions a.s.a.p!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenny miles

Reaction score
Hi, as i mentioned in another thread i've recently increased some of my colour prices. I'm a mobile hardresser & i havnt put my prices up in a very long time! My colour prices were very low compared to other mobiles in my city so i've just basically brought them in line(yet still a bit cheaper) with my competitors. I was charging £30 for a half head H/L(inc c/b) & £40 for a full head of H/L(inc c/b) and i've now put them up £40(half head) & £50(full head). What i want to know is do you all think i'm being a bit harsh putting them up by £10 or do you think this is ok???? As i've said before i'm a bit of a soft touch and i always feel bad about putting prices up(this is why its been years since my last price increase)!!!:rolleyes: HELP x

hi
i think £10 is a big jump for your prices, but as you said you have not put them up in a long time. i would explain to your clients and they should understand. if you are still cheaper than you competitors then they really have nothing to worry about!

Hi, do you think maybe a £5 increase would be better. I havnt sent out any client letters yet so I could always change it???

You see I was going 2 send out a letter & maybe quote some of the competitors colour prices which are all between £40-£50 for half head & £60-£80 full head so I am still a bit cheaper!

just a silly question , will you competitor prices include the cut n blo ? i have never included cut n blow in the price ?? all the salons i have known always charge seperatly too , you seem very reasonable :green:

im in a similar predicament at mo. . we all rent chairs in our salon, and they are about to put the prices up, and some of the prices i dont feel comfortable with some of the charges. i already had my own pricelist previous to this and was considering matching other stylists prices, but now i feel if i was too match the prices of the other renters my clients would take a massive price hike. . ps all my colours have a cut and blow dry included in the price. x

if it was me, i would sent out letters with the new prices on. at the end of the day, the majority of people have their hair done by you because they like you and the way you do it. im sure they will be willing to pay the prices.
if they are not, and try elsewhere, they will soon see that your prices are very competitive in comparison.
remember, its YOUR business. dont let you clients determine their own prices. you are in charge and you make the prices!
be strong!! x

Some clients may think this is a big increase but compared to everyone else its still a competitive price and you should absolutely do it. And once you've done it make sure you don't leave it that long again!!!

In October I put a notice up in my salon to say that after holding my prices for three years I could no longer continue to absorb all the suppliers increases and cost of living etc.

Be brave.

Jacqui xx

just a silly question , will you competitor prices include the cut n blo ? i have never included cut n blow in the price ?? all the salons i have known always charge seperatly too , you seem very reasonable :green:
hi, some of the competitor prices include c/b and some dont but i do include c/b in all my prices & i'm still a bit cheaper than them even with the £10 increase!!! So would you stick with the £10 increase???x

im in a similar predicament at mo. . we all rent chairs in our salon, and they are about to put the prices up, and some of the prices i dont feel comfortable with some of the charges. i already had my own pricelist previous to this and was considering matching other stylists prices, but now i feel if i was too match the prices of the other renters my clients would take a massive price hike. . ps all my colours have a cut and blow dry included in the price. x

Yes you're in the same boat as me then! Maybe we are being a bit too soft though i mean we do need to earn a living. I know i've always been too soft for my own good!:rolleyes:x

Tankyou marie.st & jaquelineanna you are right i do need to put my foot down i men some of my regulars have been telling me for ages that my prices are too low. i think i'll stick with it & send out some letters to let people know in advance!:hug:x

well if you are unsure you could do a client questionnaire ... tell them due to increase in price of stock , petrol etc.. you are having to do a business overhaul
ask them if they would rather see a slight increase in price .. or forgo the cut & BD included (i include bd in my .. not the cuts tho ) because you wither have to fit more clients in or increase the price ... that way they know they are expecting one or the other
you think if you have a full day of colors and you have to cut every cleints in with it .. you could fit another client maybe 2 ... depending on what they are having ... so for example you might be losin out on £40 (if it was a color client )
hope this makes sense , sorry if it doesnt i aint great at explaining stuff very well , lol xx

I'm absolutely not disrespecting the questionnaire idea but I really wouldn't involve the clients in this decision.

I've never come across one single company big or small who has ever asked for my opinion on pricing lol.

Keep your letter short and sweet. You really don't need to go into detail either, its enough to say that your prices are going up to cover all the costs you've been absorbing.

And yes it should be £10.00.

Jacqui xx

Last edited:
well if you are unsure you could do a client questionnaire ... tell them due to increase in price of stock , petrol etc.. you are having to do a business overhaul
ask them if they would rather see a slight increase in price .. or forgo the cut & BD included (i include bd in my .. not the cuts tho ) because you wither have to fit more clients in or increase the price ... that way they know they are expecting one or the other
you think if you have a full day of colors and you have to cut every cleints in with it .. you could fit another client maybe 2 ... depending on what they are having ... so for example you might be losin out on £40 (if it was a color client )
hope this makes sense , sorry if it doesnt i aint great at explaining stuff very well , lol xx

Hi, yes it makes perfect sense but i do advertise a price without the cut aswell on my price list so they can choose, i charge £5 less if they dont have it cut!x

ahh i see , well then i would deffo stick with the increase xx

I sent this message to mine old clients yesterday .. I was charging on average £10 less for older clients that I have done for a few years. But could be making more money if I had a new client in that slot. Its a tuff one!!

Hey iv had to bring my prices In line for everyone. Its just going to be the one set price now but for loyalty for long term clients like yourself there won't be a call out fee. Saving you £5. Main reason is I haven't been realistic with pricing and covering my costs before deductions etc. (bloody tax man!) and for the same as everything else going up sadly. You can view my full price list online at www.hculture.co.uk and select tariff under services. See you soon! Craig

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Thankyou everyone you've all been a great help!!! I've drafted a client letter which i'm quite happy with & the new clients i've taken on since the price increase have all commented that my prices are very reasonable! So i'm happy!!!x

That is totally resonable! Everything else in the world has gone up a lot in price over the last few years including VAT.

I guess depending on the area you are working in and salon prices in that area but £50 for a fullhead hilites and cut is a good price. I also include the cut in my price and i deduct £5 if they chose not to have it cut.

So long as u maintain a good service people will pay what your worth :)

That is totally resonable! Everything else in the world has gone up a lot in price over the last few years including VAT.

I guess depending on the area you are working in and salon prices in that area but £50 for a fullhead hilites and cut is a good price. I also include the cut in my price and i deduct £5 if they chose not to have it cut.

So long as u maintain a good service people will pay what your worth :)

The average price for a full head H/L in my area in a salon is between £75 & £90! I also only use high quality products, colours etc. So i think my clients are still getting a good deal!x

I think even with the increase your prices are very reasonalble hun, .....sometimes as hairdressers we tend to think of our clients as friends too, and there in lies the problem, no one wants to charge a 'friend' more....but like one of the guys said if anyone doesnt like the price change they can try and find someone else cheaper but I bet they will come back to you because they like your work :)...after all it is your living, how many other industries freeze their prices for years n years ?..good luck im sure u wont loose anyone ..xx

Latest posts

Back