Pricing for friends and family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clareh

Level 3 hairdresser, nail and brow tech
Reaction score
Hi! I’ve roped in about eight people for one set of free gels as they will be my practice case studies
They have all different needs and issues with their nails so I have picked a good bunch
I don’t want to undercut any other techs but this group of people will be my victims for the next few months. How do I retain their loyalty and help without giving too much of my profit? I intend to give them 2 more discounted services and one free removal - maybe 50% the next time, 75% the one after that then retaining a 10% discount as a friend/family discount? All tried paying me but I know the value of brand loyalty and I want them to feel invested in me as a brand!

I would make your plans clear to them from the beginning. They need to know the full price. Maybe give them a little discount of 10% but nothing more. Start as you mean to go on. If they are happy with your service and the treatment they will be happy to pay full price and as harsh as it sounds of they don't want to pay for a good service then perhaps you are better off without them as clients. x

To be honest I do my friends and family at just over cost price (round it to the next £5) that’s because I do them at home, and for practice of different stuff, work colleagues get almost the same as I do them in lunch hour. Since I don’t have a lot of other clients this helps keep everyone sweet and pays for my colour addiction

Thanks both - great advice.. they all know the final price but I REALLY am a newby and certainly don’t feel confident yet. Many are my old college victims when I did hair so I know that they value my time as I have them as clients. I just really do appreciate how they’ll let me basically experiment on them whilst encouraging me. I’m not afraid of asking for payment but it’s figuring out what will benefit both of us. I know myself and I get all anxious if I feel that I’m overcharging for my level of experience and skill- does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back