Primer with Retention

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annalooby

Reaction score
Hi peeps,

Was just searching again for tips on lifting - for one problem client - and I'm a bit confused as to the use of primer with Retention. I didn't think you had to use primer but some of the threads suggest using it for problem lifters. They also mention an acidless primer. So....

1. Can you use primer with Retention?
2. SHOULD you use primer with Retention for problem lifters?
3. Can you use acidic primers with Retention or only acidless ones...

I think thats all - need to go get some caffiene to clear my head!!

Looby:D

annalooby said:
1. Can you use primer with Retention?
Yes you can! If you do use a primer with R+ it brings R+ down to the same level of Radical which is primer optional also!
2. SHOULD you use primer with Retention for problem lifters?
Retention+ is a monomer liquid made specifically for lift prone clients. Try it with out first but if you have a client that 'lifts' no matter what, you can try primer and see if it helps with extra adhesion.
3. Can you use acidic primers with Retention or only acidless ones...
You can use both, but I would suggest going with our non-acid Primer - in fact I don't think CND manufacture Primad anymore:| (that was our acidic one) HTH's

Hi Looby, I have two "problem lifters" and I have tried everything including primer and Nailfresh which did help for one of them but the other I now do each nail individually with Scrubfresh, wait for it to dry then apply product rather than scrubfresh all 5 or 10 then applying product. This has helped my other lady.

Hi there!

Just wanted to share another tip--

You can try incorporating Nail Fresh- it is a PREP Booster...

Scrubfresh alone will do the job. However, if you want *additional* dehydration, first use Scrubfresh (to clean surface oils and contaminants plus dehydrate), then Nail Fresh (to further dehydrate) and follow with Scrubfresh again for the full pathogen fighting benefits of the product. Nail Fresh has no surface cleaning abilities. Using Nail Fresh without first using Scrubfresh will simply swish the dust and debris around on the surface of the nail, it will pick-up the dust and debris from the surface in the Nail Fresh brush then when you put the brush back into the bottle, it deposits the dust into the Nail Fresh bottle. Now the Nail Fresh is contaminated with foreign debris which could result in lifting. Nail Fresh is a clear liquid. Hold the bottle to the light and check for any "floaters" in it. If it's not a clear liquid, then the bottle must be replaced to avoid problems.

Hope this helps (& thanks to Nikki B. for this info!)

Thats great everyone - thanks very much!

Looby:green:

was only discussing this yesterday with geeg! yep with retention plus for those really oily plates try scrub fresh , then nail fresh, then scrub fresh again and then primer...works a treat :) oh and be sure to do one hand at a time before the liquid and powder!

You can also try checking out the 'A Primer on lifting' in the articles section of the site.

The Nail Geek said:
You can also try checking out the 'A Primer on lifting' in the articles section of the site.
Alrighty - done that - think I'm now more confused

If I use an acidic primer (I already have one of those at the salon but don't yet have any acid-free) which will provide a hydrogen bond and then use Retention+ (which I normally use without primer) on my problem lifter, which then provides a covalent bond (twice as strong as a hydrogen bond I believe) does this mean you get both bonds and three times the adhesion or does one cancel the other out.......ARRRGHHH!!!

Help me my brain is melting....

Looby:lol:

nope. Your adhesion will come from the primer so you will end up with a hydrogen bond (but an acidicly cleansed surface)

Latest posts

Back