Private Beauty Courses or College Courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancashirelass

Reaction score
Can anyone enlighten me what the difference is between college courses which offer NVQ's or the private run courses which are being run and offer in house certificates.

Can someone get a job with the private courses in the beauty industry or would these not be recognised.

I would be grateful for any advice so I can decide.

Thanks

Can anybody give advice on this.

Hi over the years I have done a lot of courses in private academies, colleges and home study courses in beauty, nails and holistic therapies and never had a problem getting insurance (apart from once), as I logged onto the insurance company I am with and got training through their training directory so I knew my courses would be acreddited. make sure you check out with the insurance company you intend to go with that the certificate you will obtain is acredited and they will accept them. As a few years back I went with maple academy to do a course then after paying alot of money found out the certificate was not worth the paper it was written on, thats why I always look into the course and find out what certificate is is and who they are acredited with.

Thanks for your feedback.

Does anyone know anything about Northern College of Beauty in Liverpool and the courses they run.

Hi, i dont know anything about that college, but I did spend £1200 on a private course which ran over a week and when I wanted to gain more experience, I found out that I needed an NVQ to actually work in a salon, you can use the certifiactes from private courses to work for yourself to get insurance, like from home, but no salons i applied to would accept them, and one therapist wanted to help me but said you really do need a recognised qualification, it took 2 years, but i can tell you i am so so glad i listened to her, you learn more, well, you never stop learning, but my honest opinion is to get a recognised qualification, then you shouldnt have problems getting work anywhere because it does take a while to build up clients privately and working with other therapists is a big help. Good luck hun xxx

If it's not a recognised national or international qualification then it's just not worth spending the money. There are loads of these 'private' colleges and the paper you leave with may get you insurance but in real terms is not worth didly squat.

If you want to continue with post grad education then you need a qualification. I know that these 'private' colleges are a quick fix but the cost is at least the same if not a damn lot more than going for ITEC or an NVQ, which will only lead to better things. Spend the time and train properly as you can't expect to be a beauty therapist after six days training.

It's your future, be the best!

xxxx

Thanks for all the advice I have decided on the college course as to which I have made enquiries and they are enrolling in August.

Cheers everyone for your advice.

Latest posts

Back